Warning: Camera Failed on Sprint Galaxy S5

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Seems like a lot of work for something that is reported to not correct the issue.

Follow the steps below. :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Attachments

• 1398452824318.jpg
    1398452824318.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 1398452832057.jpg
    1398452832057.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 1398452839199.jpg
    1398452839199.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 54

Netherscourge

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Sprint just released a new Device Firmware update yesterday for the S5. You might want to install that first and see if it fixes any of the bugs.

cyberdman

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I take it none of you have read the articles.

Users have tried relaunching the app, rebooting the phone and even performing a factory reset, but nothing has fixed the problem at this point. The issue is believed to be hardware related ...

Thanks for the info on Factory Restore. I knew how to do that, it is just someone previously mentioned "hard reset" as apposed to calling it a Factory Reset. I thought maybe they were a bit different, but I guess not.

As far as the Sprint firmware update goes, that update does not address any updates to the camera itself, just that it allows camera interaction within a voice call. Yes I have it already.

Netherscourge

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I have a Sprint S5 too, but I haven't had any problem with the camera so far.

I've taken about 50 or so pictures and about 4 videos. One video is 5 minutes long.(My son searching for Easter Eggs on Easter Sunday in the backyard) No problems with it though.

It's possible you may just have a dud camera. Definitely make use of your warranty and/or return policy. No sense in worrying about it. Get it replaced ASAP!

cyberdman

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
SD Card. I thought maybe that was it, but she uses that card for other things on the phone too and it reads it no problem.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I got it at Sam's club, do you think that will matter or should I take it in there and have them exchange it anyway? Today is like day 14, I think I may have until tomorrow.

Unless they changed it in the past 4 years, you have 30days to return at Sams. After that you are the carrier's (sprint at&t, etc) problem.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I take it none of you have read the articles.

Thanks for the info on Factory Restore. I knew how to do that, it is just someone previously mentioned "hard reset" as apposed to calling it a Factory Reset. I thought maybe they were a bit different, but I guess not.

As far as the Sprint firmware update goes, that update does not address any updates to the camera itself, just that it allows camera interaction within a voice call. Yes I have it already.

Did you swap the device?????

jokout1

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
WOW, all this discussion and the answer is posted in the sticky at the top of the page! LOL!
This is a hardware issue! RETURN TO CARRIER for replacement!
It is also NOT carrier specific...Verizon just posted a response to the problem for it's customers.

Cheers!

SanDeggo

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm going to go ahead and say this is one thing that is good about iOS/Apple Store. There are far less chances for malware viruses such as this from happening. Hope you are able to get your issue resolved. A factory reset should resolve the issue.

cyberdman

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Again if you have read any of the posts or articles, it isn't an app issue or settings problem. Reset does nothing, it was a hardware issue which had nothing to do with malware or viruses.

davem2421

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
any customers affected call Samsung*at*1-888-987-4357*or visit a Sprint Service & Repair location*for service under Samsung?s standard limited warranty.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
The problem isn't a Verizon only issue, its a hit or miss issue on different carriers. I am beginning to think its a failure in the camera itself and it was mentioned how Samsung's mfg partners were having issues making this camera module since its so thin. Sounds to me like the initial batches had dodo's in there. Waiting for a 32GB GS 5 and by then the Camera Failed issue should be fixed.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
WOW, all this discussion and the answer is posted in the sticky at the top of the page! LOL!
This is a hardware issue! RETURN TO CARRIER for replacement!
It is also NOT carrier specific...Verizon just posted a response to the problem for it's customers.

Cheers!

Yep, here's the link if it helps anyone. Feel free to message me about that sticky (or the one in the M8 forum). :)

Not carrier-specific, and likely hardware failure in all cases. I'd guess that many of the reports of success by reboots, apps, resets, etc. would be due to an app improperly releasing the camera (including not releasing it, which can happen if you get ANRs while the camera is in use), or, maybe, a possible early indication of the hardware problem.

The problem isn't a Verizon only issue, its a hit or miss issue on different carriers. I am beginning to think its a failure in the camera itself and it was mentioned how Samsung's mfg partners were having issues making this camera module since its so thin. Sounds to me like the initial batches had dodo's in there. Waiting for a 32GB GS 5 and by then the Camera Failed issue should be fixed.

Yeah these things can happen around launch... hopefully Samsung (or carrier) replaces all affected phones and the problem fades.

Last edited:

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
So far it seems Verizon (and other may be as well) is replacing defective units. These are mass produced devices and the push to make things ultra thin is just causing more issues than its worth.

CyberPro_biz

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
All these posts about hardware issue.

I had the same problem. I read about people finding issues with Flashlight apps. So I uninstalled Tesla Flashlight and the camera works. If it's a hardware issue then why does the camera work without Tesla Flashlight and not work when that app is installed?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glda19