09-12-2016 03:05 AM
266 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Yeah I havent had issue with my sd caqrd as I tested on a replacement phone without any sd card, and only my normal tmobile sim card, and no software or accounts set up on the phone, basically I just set it up by skipping using any google account or anything and just used it for a few days and it would black screen on me.
    06-07-2014 03:48 PM
    in accessibility setting by vision then talk back, make sure black screen for privacy is not checked even with it off, that should help all you guys. That opinion is for screen to go black for privacy. ..

Posted via Android Central App
    06-08-2014 03:43 PM
    I know this fix isn't for everyone but it worked 100% and then some for me. I know it's still in the experimental stage but if you change your run time from Dalvik to ART in developer options, this will fix all the issues, well at least the black screen issue. I haven't had it return in 3 full days....
    06-08-2014 10:57 PM
    Hi folks!

Have the same issue : lit on but black screen.

I remove the photography widget (direct access to camera) on lock screen and seem to be ok, no more black screen.

Regards.
    06-09-2014 01:24 PM
    I changed from Delvik to ART and this solved my problem completely. Thanks @Matt Ellis2
    I know this fix isn't for everyone but it worked 100% and then some for me. I know it's still in the experimental stage but if you change your run time from Dalvik to ART in developer options, this will fix all the issues, well at least the black screen issue. I haven't had it return in 3 full days....
    06-09-2014 04:34 PM
    Changing from Dalvik to ART with the direct link to camera in lockscreen don't fix the issue : black screen come back.
    06-10-2014 02:24 AM
    Same here. nothing solves the problem yet.
    06-10-2014 08:09 AM
    Hi guys!

I'm having the same problem.. I do notice, however, that if i press my finger against the white bezel above the display (where front facing camera is) this normally wakes the screen up.. Seems to be some kind of hardware glitch or something to do with the camera function?

/Aarto
    06-12-2014 08:41 AM
    i got this issue too ... sometimes by wake up black screen ... i need to push power button twice... but i have received a new update for my s5 today nr. G900FXXU1ANE2 and i think thats the fix for this issue ... hm i think not ... black screen problem again ... omg
    06-13-2014 03:32 AM
    Iv posted a couple things on this thread on what I found that helped me fixed this issue, unfortunately I decided to return my phone for a new one. The more everyone says its a software issue, I'm gonna have to disagree. The new phone is running like it should have. Its been 3 days and its absolutely no issues what so ever. On the old phone I did re-install the OS twice and issue still returned even when I kept the phone stock for a couple of days
    Joe Wade likes this.
    06-13-2014 08:54 PM
    My phone will also have blank screen after I press power button to wake it up. If I hit the home button a couple times it will wake up without having to pull battery. But of course it's irritating

fairerdata likes this.
    06-15-2014 09:00 PM
    Thanks, ...I will return phone tomorrow. ...have the same problem. ...problem occurrences increased as the time of ownership increases.
    06-15-2014 09:19 PM
    exactly the same prob with mine.. sigh...
    06-16-2014 08:57 AM
    Possible Solution?

I think I have found the solution for this nasty problem.

I've tried everything I have read here in this thread, factory reset, enable/disable apps etc. etc. I've called Samsung in the Netherlands and strangely enough they had never heard of this problem. There advise was to take the phone to a service center and get a deep factory restore???

Based on the occurrences I got me thinking that it has something to do with the lock screen, and yes i've tried disabling and enabling the camera short cut but without any results. Than I have read something about the health apps, also enabled/disabled them.

Than I noticed that the lock screen displays the actual weather forecast on the lock screen, so i've disabled the additional information function.
    This function displays the weather and the pedo meter from s-health...

Since disabling this function, no more black screen for me! I hope this help some other S5 users out there!
    Settings>Lock Screen->>Additional Information to Off
    06-17-2014 07:18 AM
    Thanks Pierre! Hopefully this works even though its sad that we can't use this function. Hopefully one of their updates can fix this issue.
    diamondRanch likes this.
    06-17-2014 08:44 AM
    Possible Solution?

I've tried everything I have read here in this thread, factory reset, enable/disable apps etc. etc. I've called Samsung in the Netherlands and strangely enough they had never heard of this problem. There advise was to take the phone to a service center and get a deep factory restore???

Based on the occurrences I got me thinking that it has something to do with the lock screen, and yes i've tried disabling and enabling the camera short cut but without any results. Than I have read something about the health apps, also enabled/disabled them.

Than I noticed that the lock screen displays the actual weather forecast on the lock screen, so i've disabled the additional information function.

Since disabling this function, no more black screen for me! I hope this help some other S5 users out there!
    Thanks for the tip! Do you happen to be using the smart remote? I had same problem and swear it was the smart remote causing the issue (since I did factory reset and then completely quit using the smart remote and no more black screens), but I could be wrong. But I'm scared to try the smart remote again at this point until I can confirm somebody is using it without black screen issues (after applying your tip to turn off additional lock screen information). Thanks again.

Posted via Android Central App - Verizon S5
    06-17-2014 09:37 AM
    Hi konvajw,

No I did not use the smart remote function at all. And still had the black screen issue... It was driving me crazy, but so far so good 2 days and counting no black screens.... Let's hope this lasts and Samsung will fix this!
    konvajw likes this.
    06-17-2014 09:54 AM
    Possible Solution?

I've always had the Additional info OFF and I still get the occasional black screen :-(. I've also never used the remote function. I'd say I only get it about every 4 to 7 days.

06-17-2014 10:09 AM
    Turning off the Additional info didn't work for me. I turned off the remote function too, but it still happens.
    i think i need to exchange my phone. this is insane.
    06-17-2014 10:34 AM
    Mmm.... so I'm out of luck... I'll let you know if this was the fix for me. One thing I forgot to mention is that I also changed the lock picture to one of my own pictures, before I was using the stock wall paper. I don't think it should matter but you never know since the issue is not really reproducible...

Did anyone of you went to a Samsung service center for a deep factory restore??? I can't believe that another restore would fix this strange issue. I've seen also on another site that also t-mobile users have these issues. Personally I don't think it has to do with the provider you are using. I'm using a non branded version of the S5 and have the same issue...
    06-17-2014 11:59 AM
    Hope we all get root cause of this eventually. I had the issue every day and decided to do a factory reset and stay away from a few things I read on various threads - such as smart remote, s health, additional information (all related to lock screen items for the most part). After my factory reset, I haven't had this problem in over a month - but I'm afraid to try any of those things I quit using fearing it will bring back the problem. Once Samsung finally admits a cause, I'm sure we'll all feel better and get to take advantage of apps we are shying away from in the mean time. Good luck to us - ha!

06-17-2014 12:09 PM
    Hey guys,

I've had the same problem that y'all are having too, but I seem to have found the cause of this abomination.

4 days ago the black screen occurred on my phone about 10x a day. Yesterday, I was wondering if it was a hardware issue, so I turned off my phone, took off the backcover, and pulled the battery out. My theory is that, the screen of our phone (S5) is not well-attached onto the phone itself. So I began to push the screen a bit to make sure that it "clicks" onto the phone.

And guess what? The black screen problem was no more. I'm nothing close to a techie, but I think that this problem came from a design flaw. Not that I'm tryin to scare y'all, I'm still hoping that this is a software issue where a simple firmware update would solve it. Hardware issue is the last thing we need right now.

BTW do not apply too much pressure on the screen, cuz you know, you could cracked it or somethin

Hope my input is much appreciated

-Teddy
    06-17-2014 03:01 PM
    Hey guys,

I was having the same exact problem as y'all but I might have found the cause of the problem.

4 days ago, the black screen happened about 10 times a day on my S5. But when I know that the phone is working and only the display was error, my theory is that the screen is not well-attached onto the phone itself. So I began to push the screen onto the phone a lil bit, and guess what? It kinda solve the problem.

Now the black screen only happened 2 times in 3 days, which is a hell of an improvement. But still, I'm not sure if this is a hardware issue (hopefully not).

See if this method helps you guys

Thanks

-Teddy
    06-17-2014 03:06 PM
    Interesting that it's a possible hardware issue. There are a few other previous posts on this thread that also say squeezing the phone or pushing on the bezel fixed the problem. Thanks for the info.

06-17-2014 07:33 PM
    Hi, I got my GS5 last week, and I'm loving it, but it have one issue that bugging me. This issue don't happen often (only 3 times since I've got it), when I put my phone to sleep, and wake it back on, the two soft buttons on the bottom of the screen (back and multi-tasking button) lit up, but the screen does not, I have to force to take out the battery and put it back in, turn the phone back on then it would work. Any1 else having this problem as well?
    I did called the store i got it from, but they don't have any more s5 in stock , and Samsung won't replace mine (what kind of customer service is this?), the store I got it from said they have to see the issue with their own eyes to be able to exchange me a new one, IF there will be any new S5 coming in for the next week or so.
    So please I really need help on this issue, this is my first Samsung galaxy device, hell, this is my first Android device.
    Thanks!

TL;DR: my screen won't lit up upon waking the phone but the 2 buttons on the bottom of the screen lit up normally.
    06-19-2014 04:47 AM
266 ... 34567 ...