Verizon S5 data usage question

Mst99

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Switched yesterday to Verizon from Sprint. The plan I took was the edge 1g because when I was with Sprint the most data I used was about 300mb due to me being on wifi almost all the time. So today, after one full day with my S5, I checked my data usage out of curiosity. I seen that I used 251mb in less then 24hrs. This seemed strange because I was only off wifi for maybe 30 min and only browsed a few web pages during that time. I called the Verizon store, and the girl there said she thinks the data I'm seeing is combined wifi and mobile network. But to call to make sure. I called, she was wrong. Plus it clearly shows wifi and mobile seperately. After explaining my usage and past history to the phone rep, I asked how I used a months worth of my average data usage in less than 24hrs. I informed him how I was on the network for maybe 30min or so and browsed a few web pages. He said that the likely reason for the usage was due to the fact that when you get a new phone, it takes a lot of data to setup and download all the updates. He then told me to disable the mobile network when I am on wifi to make sure its not switching back and forth. I thought the disabling the network advice is nonsense. Anyways, does this explanation sound right? At this pace I will be through 1gb by monday. Plus, if this is a correct explanation, why should I lose a quarter of my months data to set up a phone. That data should be forgiven somehow. The rep did give me an additional 1gb at no charge in exchange for a one year contract. After the 1 year I keep the 2gb at the 1gb price indefinitely. But if i'm using .25gb a day while only on mobile data for a half hour, 2gb isn't going to do me much good.:confused:

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
With more speed you prob will use more data.

I am on Sprint and under a month I used 7.5gb of data so far. On lte.

Posted via Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I ran one speedtest, that uses 88.5mb?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It can use alot when your connection has the speed.. It will push it.

Honestly it probably is the getting the phone all setup. You can restrict app background data if you want.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Attachments

• 1399066329256.jpg
    1399066329256.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 24

Mst99

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, thanks. I will tweak it and keep an eye on it. Having unlimited data all these years, these limits are new to me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jonathan Powell

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I noticed when my wife and I upgraded to the S5, the next 24 hours we used more data than normal setting everything up and whatnot. All has gotten back to normal now.

Lil_Bits

May 1, 2014
Visit site
So I have a question, how do you check exactly how much data you've used? I recently left sprint for Verizon also and I was used to unlimited so now I'm nervous with this 2gb business. Hopefully it's enough.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
So I have a question, how do you check exactly how much data you've used? I recently left sprint for Verizon also and I was used to unlimited so now I'm nervous with this 2gb business. Hopefully it's enough.

While Android provides a decent tool for measuring data usage, I would stick with what Verizon provides through its app. The website is good, but if you want to keep general awareness you can also use the widget.

Posted via Android Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87