are you still really happy with your s5?

WretchedM3

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I am not trying to offend S5 lovers out there. My experience with it was terrible! After a long line of Sammy phones this was a slap in the face! I understand phones can be defective. This seems to be a growing issue with the S5. The final straw wasn't when T-Mobile told me to get bent but also Samsung. I emailed a detailed list of everything I tried and everything that didn't work. They responded with instructions to do everything I had told them I already did! They were also nice enough to blow me back off to T-Mobile. Their costumer support was the cliff. The follow up email from Sammy asking if I was satisfied was a joke!

I hope I never need HTC support. I can't comment if it is better or worse. I hope it's better but I doubt it.

I signed up for Jump to avoid issues like this again!

M8 vs S5.. is not a winnable debate. Personal preference will always dictate the winner. That being said since I have had both phones I do prefer the M8. It is far easier to use and more comfortable in the hand. The UI is blazing fast compared to the S5! That being said perhaps the hardware issues my S5 had was causing the terrible lag.

prlundberg

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I hope I never need HTC support. I can't comment if it is better or worse. I hope it's better but I doubt it.

Yeah, that's the problem. If you want great customer service your only choice really is buying Apple from a physical Apple store. Microsoft is OK at their stores too from what I've heard. Everybody else I think is pretty much the same. Carrier stores vary widely even within the same carrier, some are much better than others.

The one thing that really bugs me about the S5 is the USB cover. Samsung really should provide a $20 or less fix kit for that, it seems like an obvious thing to do as it's an obvious weak point. The other stuff that is being reported is unfortunate but is not unique to the S5 or Samsung.

WretchedM3

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, that's the problem. If you want great customer service your only choice really is buying Apple from a physical Apple store. Microsoft is OK at their stores too from what I've heard. Everybody else I think is pretty much the same. Carrier stores vary widely even within the same carrier, some are much better than others.

The one thing that really bugs me about the S5 is the USB cover. Samsung really should provide a $20 or less fix kit for that, it seems like an obvious thing to do as it's an obvious weak point. The other stuff that is being reported is unfortunate but is not unique to the S5 or Samsung.

I completely agree with you. I was a little annoyed that they didn't include wireless charging with a USB port cover like that. Has the wireless charging back even released yet? My gripe with the added covers makes all the cases not fit anymore.. Oh well.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
I am not trying to offend S5 lovers out there. My experience with it was terrible! After a long line of Sammy phones this was a slap in the face! I understand phones can be defective. This seems to be a growing issue with the S5. The final straw wasn't when T-Mobile told me to get bent but also Samsung. I emailed a detailed list of everything I tried and everything that didn't work. They responded with instructions to do everything I had told them I already did! They were also nice enough to blow me back off to T-Mobile. Their costumer support was the cliff. The follow up email from Sammy asking if I was satisfied was a joke!

M8 vs S5.. is not a winnable debate. Personal preference will always dictate the winner. That being said since I have had both phones I do prefer the M8. It is far easier to use and more comfortable in the hand. The UI is blazing fast compared to the S5! That being said perhaps the hardware issues my S5 had was causing the terrible lag.

You definitely had some issues, my S5 is extremely fast with no lag. This phone is outstanding. I'm sorry you got a bad one but that will happen to EVERY manufacturer. Most of these are made by little kids making a dollar a week, there will be issues. LOL (joking!!!)

RJLOMMD

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I am very happy with my S5 which went into service on 11 April. After 2 years with a RazrMaxx --the last 6 months laboring with its failing and reaching its end of life, the S5 is a vast improvement. It reminds me of when I upgraded from a Motorola E815 to a Samsung U740 (Alias) in 2006. Similar level of improvement of service and operation!

Now that I have disabled much of the bloatware and apps that I don't want using the CleanMaster apps it runs even better. Charge at night, use all day takes me down to a battery reading of 35-40%. Not bad at all for 2 email accounts, G-mail, WhatsAPP, Tune-In Radio and BBC News updates. I am perfectly satisfied.

I purchased an extra OEM Samsung battery for about $15 using a discount I received for registering and setting up an account with Samsung. I keep it with me on trips and I rotate usage with the original battery every two weeks.

My S5 is protected by a Spigen ToughArmor case which adds almost nothing to the size/bulk of the phone. The only minor drawback with the case is that when I want to lock the screen, pressing the power button almost always means I press the volume key which is directly on the other side of the phone. Not a real problem...just a minor inconvenience.

I would --and already have-- recommended the S5 to friends and family; my wife will get hers in July. Imagine---instead of speaking we will be able to communicate via NFC! :) :(

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Twit issues come to mind losing LTE sometimes and having to use airplane mode off and on to get back to LTE and the fact it only has one radio and not two..... So no talking and Internet at the same time.

Posted via Android Central App

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Twit issues come to mind losing LTE sometimes and having to use airplane mode off and on to get back to LTE and the fact it only has one radio and not two..... So no talking and Internet at the same time.

Well, those are issues with CDMA S5's. My S5 shuffles between LTE and HSPA quite quickly, my school is fully concrete and effectively blocks reception which keeps my S5 shuffling between 1 bar of LTE and HSPA.

Since I'm on a GSM network, I can talk and use the Internet at the same time all I want.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Well, those are issues with CDMA S5's. My S5 shuffles between LTE and HSPA quite quickly, my school is fully concrete and effectively blocks reception which keeps my S5 shuffling between 1 bar of LTE and HSPA.

Since I'm on a GSM network, I can talk and use the Internet at the same time all I want.

How do I do what you're doing?

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
How do I do what you're doing?

Well, I'm not doing anything special besides using a GSM S5 on a GSM Network. In reality if you were willing to switch off Sprint/Verizon then you too could also enjoy the benefits of gsm devices.

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Well, I'm not doing anything special besides using a GSM S5 on a GSM Network. In reality if you were willing to switch off Sprint/Verizon then you too could also enjoy the benefits of gsm devices.

I'm being told that it's a sprint thing. Att, Verizon etc are fine. Wtf?

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I am happy with my S5 until either A)Galaxy S5 Prime comes out (I really hope it doesn't launch in the U.S. because that would be a kick in my rear....) or B)The Note 4 comes out, which then I will probably flopped back to the Note series lol. Although Google's new phone line is interesting also, so I may finally be pulled away from Samsung. HTC almost did it with the M8, but not quite.

kingsley404

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm super happy with my s5, luckily i got one with zero problems (knocks on wood), no lag, no freezes, nothing even with battery saving mode cpu limiting on. Camera is amazing. Always get at least 5-7 hours screen time on every charge, so that's pretty awesome for my needs. No problems with touch-wiz, installed nova anyways, gestures are cool, didn't really find myself using many of them though. Gaming is awesome, i play san andreas mostly, and the case i got for it the white+black speck candyshell looks awesome with my white phone, and doesn't really add any bulk. Haven't tested the water resistance yet, just waiting on my warranty :p

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I completely agree with you. I was a little annoyed that they didn't include wireless charging with a USB port cover like that. Has the wireless charging back even released yet? My gripe with the added covers makes all the cases not fit anymore.. Oh well.

Yes, both the SView Version and just the back.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexpall