Proof that Touchwiz lags.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
That's not lag...the GS5 has longer animations, and based on the time it took for the home button to return to the home screen I'm guessing he doesn't have S-Voice turned off.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
No. I like all the features my phone came with. I see some people strip the thing down to barebones. Why not just buy a "dumb"phone? <g>
I have disabled/uninstalled some apps I'll never use and made some tweaks here and there (mostly to keep from getting notification sounds from apps I don't even know what are or what they're notifying me of). I've never found where to reduce animations. Don't want to but where is the option?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
No. I like all the features my phone came with. I see some people strip the thing down to barebones. Why not just buy a "dumb"phone? <g>
I have disabled/uninstalled some apps I'll never use and made some tweaks here and there (mostly to keep from getting notification sounds from apps I don't even know what are or what they're notifying me of). I've never found where to reduce animations. Don't want to but where is the option?
Go to settings > more > about phone and tap "build number" 7 times. This will enable developer options. In there, scroll down and set the animation scale to whatever you like. Just makes the transitions faster/slower depending on what you have it set to. I use .5x for all three animations.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Firstly, I'm not concerned with "so called lags".

I have not truly experienced any... But that aside, just a couple days ago I turned OFF all Animations. I just like the cleaner look of the phone switching between screens w/o that mumbo jumbo stuff.

that video is in the class I would compare to two statisticians reporting on the results of a huge survey.
both have the exact same data, but the Pie Charts on one, compared to the Bar Charts and data selected by the other make it look like Apples compared to Oranges.

so, who is lying? How do we know how that S5 is configured?

prlundberg

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I have issues with lag, but what they show in the video is not bad. If that was the only lag I had I would be perfectly satisfied. There is also a video about 50+ tips for the S5, and if you watch it you can see the same lag I have. Where you touch something and there's no response or visual indication you touched it, then when you are about to try again it goes and does it. And also the stuttering when scrolling in various apps.

And at least the power button works.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Surely I can't be the only one that noticed the GS5 in this video was downloading apps the entire time

Bingo. I was about to point this out. Anytime the phone is actively downloading/updating apps or data it's not going to be as snappy as it normally would. Unbelievably bogus "comparison." Also anyone notice the time was different on the two phones in the beginning of the video? I wonder if some settings were different to account for that.

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I think that there is no real debate that TouchWiz adds lag. Honestly, having a snappy response time to commands is one of the biggest pluses to the nexus and iPhone experience. Unfortunately I am with Verizon who gave up on nexus devices presumably because they are unable to approve a software upgrade in a timely manner.

Bottom line is I chose the S5 knowing that TouchWiz has its tradeoffs. The lag is slight and the 2 gigs of ram will become this phones weak point as technology progresses. In one year when everyone has 3 gigs or more and a true 64 bit device we will have more to complain about than just lag.

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Well, this really doesn't prove anything. It's not a fair comparison....lets try that again only lets be HONEST the next time.

twin100

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
The tweaks are available within the settings of all recent Android phones in a section called ?Developer options.?

This section might be hidden on some phones, but it?s very easy to access. On many phones, you just have to open a certain page in the settings and tap a button seven times. Use Google to figure out how to enable Developer options on your phone if it?s currently hidden (for example, search ?enable developer options HTC One?).

Once you have access to Developer options, simply scroll until you find the following three settings, which may be located on the main screen or within an ?Advanced? subsection:

Window animation scale

Transition animation scale

Animator animation scale

Tapping each of the three aforementioned settings will reveal that it?s set to ?1x? by default. If you want to speed up your phone or tablet dramatically, simply change each of those three settings to ?.5x? ? that?s it...restart your device.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
The tweaks are available within the settings of all recent Android phones in a section called ?Developer options.?

This section might be hidden on some phones, but it?s very easy to access. On many phones, you just have to open a certain page in the settings and tap a button seven times. Use Google to figure out how to enable Developer options on your phone if it?s currently hidden (for example, search ?enable developer options HTC One?).

Once you have access to Developer options, simply scroll until you find the following three settings, which may be located on the main screen or within an ?Advanced? subsection:

Window animation scale

Transition animation scale

Animator animation scale

Tapping each of the three aforementioned settings will reveal that it?s set to ?1x? by default. If you want to speed up your phone or tablet dramatically, simply change each of those three settings to ?.5x? ? that?s it...restart your device.

A restart is not necessary for the animations to change.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez