Voice recognition repetitive issues - delaying last word and difficult correction

migs_inc

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Just got an S5 a few weeks ago after a screen shattering night with my S4. Love it, but I am having two very frustrating issues with features I use all the time.

I use voice recognition on my S5 (Verizon) often to dictate texts and email, just as I did quite effectively with my S4 before this. I've had two odd issues since I got the phone, and these happen all the time.

First, there is always a notable lag (5+ seconds) before the last word appears. When I am texting, sometimes the last word doesn't appear unless I press the microphone button to stop voice dictation.

Second, if spell check "corrects" a word or an abbreviation to something I didn't want and I did want the original word typed, I have to stop typing, click on the word, and only then does the originally typed word show up. On the S4, if I backspaced while typing, the originally typed word would reappear, which is much more efficient to use.

I use the original Samsung keyboard, which I like because it has numbers and a comma on the same screen as the alphabet, but if it's a keyboard issue I am happy to change (used to use Jellybean keyboard).

Is there any way to avoid the speech to text delay on the last word, or to more easily un-correct words for which I want to keep their original spelling?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to AC :)
I've seen several posts about this issue now. It's likely an issue with Google's Text to Speech engine. Haven't found any solution, and even wiping the cache partition for the app doesn't seem to anything.
As far as the autocorrecting, is there an option in the Samsung keyboard settings to tone down the auto correct aggressiveness? Others let you turn it off, or to set it to moderate, aggressive, etc.

1TikiGiki

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I've received the same answer from Verizon, Samsung, and Google and they all have the same refrain, "I don't know what the problem is, but I see it in a lot of forums". It's very frustrating because we all have the same problem whether it's a text, then e-mail, a note, etc. Supposedly the speech recognition is based off of the Dragon engine but in this case the engine doesn't learn from its mistakes like it would on a regular computer. I've even had Verizon and Samsung recommend alternative unauthorized apps from the App Store which clearly defy their ethics.