Why can't i move any files onto an sd card?

pjtaff

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
why can't i move any files onto a sd card

Hi hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me.
I have a galaxy s5 that has now run out of storage, but I have a ad card in that is basically empty, I have tried moving the videos and photos onto the sd card but I keep getting a failed message I'm doing it through the my files app but no joy I can't even create another foldean to move them into on the sd as this also gives me a failed message.
Hopefully someone can shed some light on this prob for me manythanks
ps. I also have just changed from Apple to a HTC one m8 so any tips and tricks I should know about on that phone would be great, before you think I'm greedy the s5 is the wife's lol.
Many thanks

James Scheinbaum

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Re: why can't i move any files onto a sd card

Have you tried to format you sd card?

Hi hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me.
I have a galaxy s5 that

<snipped>

Many thanks

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site

Sounds like the memory card is duff. There are loads of fakes out there, I bought a SanDisk SD card on Amazon and it was a fake. It did exactly the same as you describe and looked totally genuine.

Try another SD card as you are doing everything right. As long as you use my files it should copy and move fine.

Posted via the Android Central App

colyn1353

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

If you bought the SD card off the web, trash it. Even cards from Amazon are mostly fakes. Remember most individuals selling on Amazon were kicked off eBay for selling fakes.. Go to a local store and ask for a class 10 (must be a class 10) micro SD card of whatever size you want. Once installed go to apps-settings-storage and scroll to the bottom and tap format SD card. Once done go to My Files and see if you can now move the files..

black

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site

Make sure its a quality card like a SanDisk Ultra or something of the sort; I've used lots of different brands and they all ended up crapping out on me.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

I avoided Amazon and eBay, and purchased my SD cards from Best Buy when they were having a 12 hour sale.

If you get on their mailing list, also add Newegg.com and Tiger.com to your mailing lists.

Watch them like a hawk, you will catch some good sales. I avoid unknown vendors like the plague.

djjeffa

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site

Dont think kitkat os will let you do it. So it may not be your sd card

colyn1353

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

Dont think kitkat os will let you do it. So it may not be your sd card

I'm able to write to my SD card using Kitkat.....

What Kitkat did was to stop apps from writing to SD cards unless permission is given..

djjeffa

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site

I could write stuff to my sd too but I cant move stuff from the device to sd

colyn1353

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

I could write stuff to my sd too but I cant move stuff from the device to sd

Sure you can..
If you want to move apps to the SD card go to settings-application manager. Find the app you want to move (not all apps are movable) tap force stop then tap move to SD card.
If you want to create folders open My Files (should be installed by default. If not open Google play and download it) tap SD card then tap the 3 dots in the upper right and choose create folder. Now you can move files such as image files by tapping device storage and find the file. Tap the 3 dots again and tap select then put a check mark next to the file you want to move then the 3 dots again and tap move. You then choose SD card and open whichever folder you want to move it to and tap move here in the upper right..
Your file has now been moved to the SD card...
It's a good idea to keep your SD card clean by using folders instead of dropping the file onto the card..

Chris Brogan

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
I am having almost the same exact problem. HTC space saver was able to move pictures and a few other things to the card, but my file explorer app can't move anything to the card. The card is top of the line and bought from best buy. It works fine.
I found this when looking for a way to move my many gigs of movies to the card so they will not clutter up my phone. Anybody have any ideas? I generally was not able to even create a new file on the card, but then it randomly let me do that much. Now I just can't move the files. It just gives me an error message. Also on HTC One m8.

bsettz

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site

I think u guys have faulty cards I can move apps and write to my sd card wth little limitations yea remove and reformat card problem still exists get another card dont order it walk in a store and purchase

Posted via the Android Central App

Drathic

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
Try downloading a file manager app, my stock file app is basically useless. It wont let you move or rename certain files. But with certain manager apps you can! root also is NOT required.:cool:

mithrazor

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I am having almost the same exact problem. HTC space saver was able to move pictures and a few other things to the card, but my file explorer app can't move anything to the card. The card is top of the line and bought from best buy. It works fine.
I found this when looking for a way to move my many gigs of movies to the card so they will not clutter up my phone. Anybody have any ideas? I generally was not able to even create a new file on the card, but then it randomly let me do that much. Now I just can't move the files. It just gives me an error message. Also on HTC One m8.

I'm having this exact same issue.

I was moving gigabytes of movies to the SD Card. Now nothing on the SD works. I can't move files to it, can't detele, only thing I can do is read files.

neTpoB

May 8, 2016
Visit site
I'm having this exact same issue.

I was moving gigabytes of movies to the SD Card. Now nothing on the SD works. I can't move files to it, can't detele, only thing I can do is read files.

Try to reinstall your file manager and grant access to sd card when it promt

KerryLongKing

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site

I have a galaxy prime and I have the same problem I have tried to use three different SD card all store paid for so idk what should I do

AndroidNut

Aug 7, 2016
Visit site

I realize this is an ancient thread but might as well give my 2 cents. Not being able to read, write or move files usually means the SD card is corrupted. But the majority of the problem is you must label the SD card. Place the SD card in your PC and label it. That will fix the "Task Failed" issue 90% of the time.

jwickert3

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site

Using the my files app I had the same problem when trying to copy or move an image file from the images category to the SD card. It worked when I started at local storage, selected the entire DCIM folder and moved it to the SD card.

Mech25

Nov 15, 2016
Visit site

If you have developer options turned on this may cause you not to be able to move items. I was having this problem and as soon as I turned the developer options off, I moved the files without any issues.