Can't text certain people

biggains

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I just picked up a new Galaxy S5 less than 24 hours ago. For some reason I can't text a certain person in my contacts. I type the message, hit send, and it just sits there and says "Sending" (while it's doing this if I go to Details it says the error code is "Addr.Vcnt".) Then a short while later it says message failed with an error code of "SMS Trm.D".

I'm using the stock Messages app, I have great 4G reception, I've tried restarting the phone, I've tried clearing the data/cache for Messages, I've tried various number formats for the same contact - i.e. (555) 555-5555 and 555-555-5555 and 1-555-555-5555, and nothing works! I can't send any messages to this one contact!

This is a BRAND NEW Galaxy S5, not refurbished, less than 24 hours out of the box, bought straight from Verizon at 5pm last evening.

Can anyone help me out?

Last edited:

biggains

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
No, my last phone was a Galaxy S3, and a Motorola Droid-something before that. I deleted the contact, re-made the entry for his number, and still no luck.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Now that is just totally weird.

It sounds like the same thing that happens when you try to text a Land Line number.
I'm sure you already know that the number you are texting is a valid cellphone number?

Have not ever had that happen, new one to me.

Skimmt

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
yeah this does sound pretty weird, if you don't find a way just take it back to verizon and have them fix it

biggains

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
What's even stranger is that I thought I'd try sending an MMS for the heck of it, according to my phone the MMS was sent successfully. I immediately then tried sending a regular SMS, and it failed to send. Not sure why an SMS can't go through, but an MMS can?

I am 100% sure that the number is correct and can receive texts, it's been my best friend's cell number for ten years. I added all of my contacts through my Google account and I used a backup/restore app to transfer my old text messages to my new phone. Could that be related somehow? So far the problem is very minimal, I've been sending simple test messages to lots of my contacts and they're communicating with me just fine with no problems.

biggains

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
The joke is on me I guess! I found out that my best friend of 15 years, who has had the same number for the last ten of those years, decided to get a new number in the last few days without telling me. Maybe we aren't as good of friends as I'd imagined? Haha... I guess in my defense, we do live in different states!

I was just about ready to bring my cursed new S5 back to Verizon, glad it was something a lot simpler!