once good battery life. where did it go?

ejones2010

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
When i first got this s5 my battery would last me almost 48 hrs with pretty heavy use. Now im charging it 3 times a day and within an hour of having a full charge it falls to about 70%. The last 2 nights iv woke up to a battery thats only at 92-95% charged below is a screen of my battery graph yesterday morning. Iv got got a new phone new battery and have everything i dont use disabled. Even though i never used to have to disable anything. Anybody know why im all a sudden having this problem?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-11-09-09-24-16.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-11-09-09-24-16.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 72

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
First thing I would suggest is to find out if something is trying to connect to the internet all the time.

Turn off data and wifi, and monitor the battery after a few hours. What you should see on the battery graph is a much flatter line indicating that the battery use is much lower than what you have now.

Attached is a screenshot I made showing how my S5 is doing while using my method of controlling battery consumption.

As my signature indicates, I use MacroDroid to monitor the screen status.

When the screen is locked, MD disables the WiFi and Data. At that point, the phone is in idle mode and uses very little battery.

When I unlock the screen, MD enables both WiFi and Data. There is a short delay for Data of about 2 seconds. WiFi takes about 5 seconds before I see the notification on the screen that it is connected. These delays are so short that I rarely have even opened up an application by that time, so I never notice any delays in doing what I want to do.

I always get two full days of use, and a lot of times I get 3 full days of use. It just depends on whether the days are weekdays with a lot of daytime activity, or the weekends when I am reading books and not on the phone.

Install MacroDroid and let it handle the internect for you. There is no viable reason for the internet being connected when the phone is idle. My phones have always been idled for years as standard procedure.

My Samsung Galaxy S, the original phone in this series is almost 4 years old and the battery will still give me almost two full days of use with MacroDroid handling the internet.

Attachments

• 15 hrs 87% battery.jpg
    15 hrs 87% battery.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Battery 2d 15h 33%.jpg
    Battery 2d 15h 33%.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 22 Hrs on battery.jpg
    22 Hrs on battery.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 92

ejones2010

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Whats the easiest way to set it up? I downloaded it im just not sure on what to change and what to leave alone. What makes these phones get like this? I used to go golfing with gps on wifi always on screenbrightness almost all the way up and finish with at least 90% left. I never had to trun anything off

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
here is a copy of a prior post a good while back.
==========================

I use MacroDroid to turn the internet on/off as needed.

works like a champ.
When screen is locked, internet is turned off.

When screen unlocks, internet is turned back on.

While the internet is off, the phone just idles along and sips battery about about 8 or 10 percent per day.

When you need the phone, it is ready to go to work for you and has lots of battery to do it with.

* MacroDroid - Device Automation - Android Apps on Google Play

Here is a short list of the main macros important to me:
T = Trigger
A = Action
C = Contstraints

Labeled Internet Off:
T: Screen Off
A: Data off, disable Wifi
C: None
now touch the right arrow at the top right corner

Labeled Internet On:
T: Screen Unlocked
A: Data On, enable Wifi

Now it will ask you to Label the macro, give a name that makes sense to you.

If you are using the free version, you must use two macros to turn off the internet, and 2 more to turn the internet back on.
They allow you 5 macros with the free version, so you get a chance to get accustomed to MacroDroid.

It took me about 30 minutes to spring for the Paid version because with the Paid version, you can have one macro do multiple actions. The free version will only allow 1 action per Trigger.

MacroDroid has a huge library of transition sensors, and controls. You just have to play with it. Once you do, you will come to depend on it a lot.

diego.roscetti

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Well, there is actually, if you are into your social media and you want live notifications you need the net on all the time, just saying.

Agreed. No purposr of having a smart phone then limiting it's purpose.

Also, what about receiving emails? If you turn off the Internet emails will not come to your phone unless you turn the screen on.

Posted via Android Central App

bIOforger

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
Agreed. No purposr of having a smart phone then limiting it's purpose.

Also, what about receiving emails? If you turn off the Internet emails will not come to your phone unless you turn the screen on.

Yep that is correct.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
here is a copy of a prior post a good while back.
==========================

I use MacroDroid to turn the internet on/off as needed.

works like a champ.
When screen is locked, internet is turned off.

When screen unlocks, internet is turned back on.

While the internet is off, the phone just idles along and sips battery about about 8 or 10 percent per day.

When you need the phone, it is ready to go to work for you and has lots of battery to do it with.

* MacroDroid - Device Automation - Android Apps on Google Play

Here is a short list of the main macros important to me:
T = Trigger
A = Action
C = Contstraints

Labeled Internet Off:
T: Screen Off
A: Data off, disable Wifi

Labeled Internet On:
T: Screen Unlocked
A: Data On, enable Wifi

Now it will ask you to Label the macro, give a name that makes sense to you.

If you are using the free version, you must use two macros to turn off the internet, and 2 more to turn the internet back on.
They allow you 5 macros with the free version, so you get a chance to get accustomed to MacroDroid.

It took me about 30 minutes to spring for the Paid version because with the Paid version, you can have one macro do multiple actions. The free version will only allow 1 action per Trigger.

MacroDroid has a huge library of transition sensors, and controls. You just have to play with it. Once you do, you will come to depend on it a lot.
I've seen you post this several times now. I'm glad this works for you but most people aren't going to want to go this route. When I wake my phone, I don't want to wait 5 seconds for it to connect to WiFi. I also like getting my messages and emails pushed to my phone instantly.

Kristymc

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
Having the same problem with my S5. Phone is only two months old and the battery life was 24-36 hours for about the first month.Since the end of September I have had the battery life drop-literally before my eyes. I have been reading, searching, desperately trying to fix this-no luck. Reboot, clear cache, turn off apps, anything I could find to try-I tried. Last night I went to sleep at 62% and turned off WIFI and data...woke up to 30% battery. Ridiculous.
I have done nothing different. I do not think people should have to disable everything on their phone to get decent battery life. That defeats the purpose. It was amazing before the end of September and now it is horrendous. So many people are having this very same issue. I understand many people are not, but this is clearly an issue that needs to be resolved.

diego.roscetti

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Having the same problem with my S5. Phone is only two months old and the battery life was 24-36 hours for about the first month.Since the end of September I have had the battery life drop-literally before my eyes. I have been reading, searching, desperately trying to fix this-no luck. Reboot, clear cache, turn off apps, anything I could find to try-I tried. Last night I went to sleep at 62% and turned off WIFI and data...woke up to 30% battery. Ridiculous.
I have done nothing different. I do not think people should have to disable everything on their phone to get decent battery life. That defeats the purpose. It was amazing before the end of September and now it is horrendous. So many people are having this very same issue. I understand many people are not, but this is clearly an issue that needs to be resolved.

I am in the same boat. My battery life significantly dropped without any major changes or apps installed on my phone. I also did the same reboot, clear cache and partitions and nothing worked.

Puzzled and anxious for a resolution like we all are.

ArcherMike

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
I experienced some strange behavior with my battery too. I usually get 2-3 days with moderate use. I went out of town for a weeks vacation. With similar or less usage my battery life dropped dramatically. Like some others have mentioned, it would drain overnight. When I returned home, the battery life seem to return to what is was originally. One difference I noted is at home, I get a good, strong signal. While on vacation (Virginia Beach, Va.) the signal was very poor. I wonder if the signal affects battery life. Perhaps in the background the system is always hunting for a better signal, when the signal is poor?

diego.roscetti

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I experienced some strange behavior with my battery too. I usually get 2-3 days with moderate use. I went out of town for a weeks vacation. With similar or less usage my battery life dropped dramatically. Like some others have mentioned, it would drain overnight. When I returned home, the battery life seem to return to what is was originally. One difference I noted is at home, I get a good, strong signal. While on vacation (Virginia Beach, Va.) the signal was very poor. I wonder if the signal affects battery life. Perhaps in the background the system is always hunting for a better signal, when the signal is poor?

Cell signal definitely affects battery life. At least on my end, I am having the same signal strength but experiencing less battery life. In your case, that would have explained the cause for poor battery.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I've seen you post this several times now. I'm glad this works for you but most people aren't going to want to go this route. When I wake my phone, I don't want to wait 5 seconds for it to connect to WiFi. I also like getting my messages and emails pushed to my phone instantly.

I only post it if someone is not getting the help they need.

If 5 seconds is so dear to you waiting for the internet to hookup, then you will pay the piper with battery usage.

I do NOT want anything pushed to my phone UNLESS the screen is unlocked.
It takes all of 2 seconds for Blue Mail to update my emails....

The only notification that I will accept is SMS and the sound of the phone ringing.

The rest of the world can go hang itself for all I care..... The internet is mine to command at my beck and call, not that of someone on Facebook with acne describing all of their ills and pains.

My phone is NOT crippled as you seem to think. When the screen is unlocked everything on it works just like it should, and the battery is nearly always at top capacity when I need it.

It is now 17:45 hrs, the phone came off the wireless charger at 0500, it has been used a lot today and it still has 74% battery left with about 12 hours use.

That is the way it should be.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I only post it if someone is not getting the help they need.

If 5 seconds is so dear to you waiting for the internet to hookup, then you will pay the piper with battery usage.

I do NOT want anything pushed to my phone UNLESS the screen is unlocked.
It takes all of 2 seconds for Blue Mail to update my emails....

The only notification that I will accept is SMS and the sound of the phone ringing.

The rest of the world can go hang itself for all I care..... The internet is mine to command at my beck and call, not that of someone on Facebook with acne describing all of their ills and pains.

My phone is NOT crippled as you seem to think. When the screen is unlocked everything on it works just like it should, and the battery is nearly always at top capacity when I need it.

It is now 17:45 hrs, the phone came off the wireless charger at 0500, it has been used a lot today and it still has 74% battery left with about 12 hours use.

That is the way it should be.
That scenario is unacceptable for me. I use my phone for work and need emails pushed to the phone immediately. I rely on my phone heavily when I'm not at my desk or not at work. I also want people to be able to get ahold of me ASAP. Like I said, I'm glad it works for you but most people aren't going to want to do that to their phone. For me, as long as it lasts a whole day, I am fine. I don't care if I have to charge it every night.

It is a clever trick though. If you want maximum life out of your phone and don't need things pushed immediately, your trick is quite handy.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
That scenario is unacceptable for me. I use my phone for work and need emails pushed to the phone immediately. I rely on my phone heavily when I'm not at my desk or not at work. I also want people to be able to get a hold of me ASAP. Like I said, I'm glad it works for you but most people aren't going to want to do that to their phone. For me, as long as it lasts a whole day, I am fine. I don't care if I have to charge it every night.

It is a clever trick though. If you want maximum life out of your phone and don't need things pushed immediately, your trick is quite handy.

either way is just fine.

I always try to point out that battery life is directly related to how the phone/device is used.

I am retired from the work-a-day world that you are in. I spent all of my working life tied to a string that got jerked at the most inconvenient times. I was not allowed to take a shower w/o being able to hear the clanging bells of "Hey you jerk, get your tailbone back to work, xyz is broken and I want it fixed yesterday".... I spent a lot of years working in 911 call centers repairing/maintaining/installing dispatch equipment in the center, or in the fire stations, or in the vehicles/apparatus...

yup, don't need that kind of reminder anymore.

IF one can get by with only a SMS notification, or the telco ringer, then the rest can wait.

If you MUST be notified instantly, then the battery charger will become your best friend.

It is a trade off, and neither way is wrong... it is just an option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress