S5 on Verizon just updated to Lollipop in two software updates. Best list of new features?

srfoot

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi;

My verizon S5 just updated to Lollipop.

What are the best links to new features and set-ups that I should be looking at to learn and apply?

Thank you!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
@AZ - That is just how Verizon does business. An update comes out .. they force you to take it.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I think that if you remove the sim, that the update won't push. Not 100% sure on the s5,but I had older phones laying around the house used as wifi devices and they wouldn't update until I installed a Verizon sim. Not 100%sure if it would block the update on the s5 though

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Well, I have it blocked permanently until "I DECIDE TO ALLOW IT TO HAPPEN"

I am waiting until I see how it works, I can do without the internet just fine, I am using a Desktop PC for 99.999% of my forum and internet use anyway.

I use less than 125 kiloBytes of data per month, whoopee!

Attachments

• Update Failed no WiFi service available.jpg
    Update Failed no WiFi service available.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 158

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I am waiting until I see how it works, I can do without the internet just fine, I am using a Desktop PC for 99.999% of my forum and internet use anyway.

That is one way to do it. I personally don't see the purpose of a smartphone with no internet but that is just me.

Also just for the record .. I am not saying it is right for them to do that .. Just saying I am not surprised with Verizon forcing things on customers. It is kind of their thing :).

KJ78

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Best feature is that new notifications turn on your screen but your screen never turns back off unless you do it manually. Glad i have an extended battery i am really going to need it now.

I miss upgrades when they were upgrades and not full of dumbsign features.

Posted via Android Central App

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
That is one way to do it. I personally don't see the purpose of a smartphone with no internet but that is just me.

Also just for the record .. I am not saying it is right for them to do that .. Just saying I am not surprised with Verizon forcing things on customers. It is kind of their thing :).

I have a smart phone that works perfectly anytime I want to have it do something. It is not crippled, it is simply under My Control.

I will decide when, and IF, something occurs. Not some bean counter up in his Ivory tower taking home bonuses that would choke most banks.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have a smart phone that works perfectly anytime I want to have it do something. It is not crippled, it is simply under My Control.

I will decide when, and IF, something occurs. Not some bean counter up in his Ivory tower taking home bonuses that would choke most banks.

Oh I know I wasn't implying your phone wouldn't work .. I am just saying majority of people like an always on connection. That is good that you can go without :). I personally wouldn't dream of it haha :D.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I think that if you remove the sim, that the update won't push. Not 100% sure on the s5,but I had older phones laying around the house used as wifi devices and they wouldn't update until I installed a Verizon sim. Not 100%sure if it would block the update on the s5 though

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4

Remove the SIM and you won't be able to make any phone calls.
that is like bricking the phone.

shortwave8669

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
@AZ - That is just how Verizon does business. An update comes out .. they force you to take it.

That's odd. When I bought my Note 3 it shipped with Android 4.4.2
I went 2 months (about a dozen notices of update to 4.4.4) declining the update.
After confirming with other VZW Note 3 users that KitKat was cool I then performed the update.

anon(749368)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Best new feature is the fact that the battery usage app does not work. Settings, battery... Can someone confirm this?

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(749368)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I have 88% battery according to the meter, but I suspect it's way off (should have more) and the usage shows 1% for the two items and total depletion in 3 hours

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-02-03-08-52-18.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-02-03-08-52-18.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 99

walkman666

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
So, aside from the conspiracy theory "don't make me update" posts, back to the original question, what have folks seen as the best new features of Lollipop? I just downloaded it, and always find that such input is great in exploring a new phone or OS. Thanks.

bigslam123

May 3, 2010
Visit site
So, aside from the conspiracy theory "don't make me update" posts, back to the original question, what have folks seen as the best new features of Lollipop? I just downloaded it, and always find that such input is great in exploring a new phone or OS. Thanks.

I love the Smart Lock feature. Now I dont have to bother unlocking my phone everytime I want to use it, as long as my Martian smart watch is set as a trusted device and connected. As soon as I leave the room and the connection is lost, the phone instantly locks itself. Totally awesome feaure.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Remove the SIM and you won't be able to make any phone calls.
that is like bricking the phone.
It certainly isn't a great option but at least you can use the Internet. In this case, you can pop the sim into another cheap Verizon phone, then use that phone to receive calls, and use the s5 for Internet via hotspot.

Granted neither are really good options but personally I would rather use 2 phones than one phone without Internet. Your option is viable though, for those who don't need Internet at all

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Best feature is that new notifications turn on your screen but your screen never turns back off unless you do it manually. Glad i have an extended battery i am really going to need it now.

I miss upgrades when they were upgrades and not full of dumbsign features.

Posted via Android Central App

Flat out great, lol. When mine lights up due to a text, my fat *** decides to make phone calls. And if you have a password or pattern, the emergency call thing is on there. I'd rather accidentally dial my boyfriend than 911 though.
.... Which brings me to another point.. Did they happen to put anything into place to reduce that crap with the emergency dialing in Lollipop? I'm on AT&T so I'm a bit under privilege at the moment...

Boom! From My S5

sdsubball23

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site

Before some updates while I was on 4.4.2 with my first s5 (which was unfortunately stolen and now I have a replacement), I would get prompts to update, but I had a choice on whether to download or not and I could also delay the update prompt. I was able to do this continually until one night I accidentally hit download lol. So I'm wondering, how is it that you are being forced to download the update? Did they get rid of the option to delay updates on a recent update (pre-lollipop)?