No ringtone

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
What have you checked? Sometimes settings get changed incidentally during updates. Just verify that your settings for ringtone haven't been turned down, you're not set to DND, and a ringtone is set for incoming calls, it's not set to "No ringtone". I've seen many times where particular ringtones are replaced during updates, for example if you were using "Rain" as your general ringtone and they did away with it, the system may not have proper replaced it with a current tone. Also I've seen several complain that individual ringtones, setup for particular callers, have been replaced or changed more so when they are custom ringtones. So they may need to be setup again.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Please more detail. What says it's on? A setting for what to do when the phone is picked up, the ringer? What have you checked?

Posted via Android Central App

PM Jay

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
Nice to know I'm not alone. Have the same problem. S5 SM-G900F Android 5.0 Baseband G900FXXU1BOA3, O2
All fine until Android 5.0 installed. Usual problems with battery, freezes etc but biggest bugbear is the lack of audio for call and txt notifications. Gone through every setting in the book. Switched off vibrate in case there was some weird clash with both selected, no joy. Changed selections, no joy. Was using my own custom ringtone, switched to any number of those supplied by the system, no joy. Strangely when changing the notification tone I get a preview to listen too but not when selecting a new ringtone (tried loads of them). Do not have Do Not Disturb selected nor have I ever.
I see others bemoan the lack of a mute button .... count yourselves lucky .... mine (and fandroid18 ) seems to be permanently muted!
Oh .... and theres no vibrate either .... surprise surprise!

I wonder what would happen if I run the patch to bring back the mute button

nj473

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
Nice to know I'm not alone. Have the same problem. S5 SM-G900F Android 5.0 Baseband G900FXXU1BOA3, O2
All fine until Android 5.0 installed. Usual problems with battery, freezes etc but biggest bugbear is the lack of audio for call and txt notifications. Gone through every setting in the book. Switched off vibrate in case there was some weird clash with both selected, no joy. Changed selections, no joy. Was using my own custom ringtone, switched to any number of those supplied by the system, no joy. Strangely when changing the notification tone I get a preview to listen too but not when selecting a new ringtone (tried loads of them). Do not have Do Not Disturb selected nor have I ever.
I see others bemoan the lack of a mute button .... count yourselves lucky .... mine (and fandroid18 ) seems to be permanently muted!
Oh .... and theres no vibrate either .... surprise surprise!

I wonder what would happen if I run the patch to bring back the mute button

I am having this same issue! Well, my mum is anyway. I have checked all the settings, they seemed to all be ok, but I am still not getting any sound alerts. Vibration doesn't work either, even when the "no sound" option is selected. It might be worth noting that the iPhone apparently updated to the latest OS by itself, and it was after this that she started noticing problems. Also it's worth noting that she originally had a custom ringing selected too, I have since removed it in an effort to fix the problem, but it has done nothing. I am not an android user myself so I am not too savvy with the OS. Maybe this is a bug with the software?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
It is starting to sound like an issue with the OS update, but it seems like there should be a lot more of you if that was the case.... I notice while most of you have checked the settings and looked at making changes that no one has factory reset. As awful as it sounds that would be my next step for two reasons; 1) only those who've updated seem to be reporting this issue, and in the past is was a regular thing for devices to need to be factory reset after a big OS update. I haven't seen it as much lately but sometimes things get a little glitchy with the install and the reset cleans it up. 2) it doesn't seem wide spread. Even though several hundred people have updated, maybe thousands, it seems only handful of you are having this issue. Otherwise there would have been several other users joining in this conversation, so that means it has worked more than it has failed which to me means that it's just a glitch/bug. As I just stated those are often cured with a factory reset when caused by an update.

You can find all kinds of folks offering guides and advice on how best to backup your device before undergoing such an endeavor. I always use these times to eliminate waste and rethink things, by getting rid of apps I don't really use and changing wallpapers or settings that I thought I liked. I will warn you though that you are going to have to setup all of your accounts again. Log-ins and passwords, settings, and the like, and you will usually loose game progress and saves. There are exceptions but they are rare so I wouldn't count on them. The only way to not loose all of those things is to root, but if you are not rooted you would have to loose them all at least once in order to root. But which would you rather; factory reset and go through the setup one more time, or have device that doesn't notify you of calls or incoming messages? Since there are 3 of you maybe one of you would volunteer to take the plunge and report back for the other 2, just in case I'm off with my analysis...?

hridge

May 12, 2016
Visit site
i have no ringtone. when i go to settings and sound and notifications it says unfortunately settings has stopped. i have a galaxy s5. can someone help??