Software Upgrades For Philippines Bought Phones

Bankokbob54

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking at buying a Galaxy S5 here in the Philippines. My concern is this: I believe the phone comes with Kitkat 4.4.2 and that's all fine and dandy, but how or when can I upgrade to Lollipop 5.0.2? I'll be using a local sim card from Smart. From what I understand I may have to root the phone to be able to get software upgrades. I'm hoping that is not the case. Thoughts?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I'm looking at buying a Galaxy S5 here in the Philippines. My concern is this: I believe the phone comes with Kitkat 4.4.2 and that's all fine and dandy, but how or when can I upgrade to Lollipop 5.0.2? I'll be using a local sim card from Smart. From what I understand I may have to root the phone to be able to get software upgrades. I'm hoping that is not the case. Thoughts?

You do not say which of the 41 models of Galaxy S5 you are buying in the Philippines. If it is the international G900F, then you will receive updates on whichever network you are on, direct from Samsung. The international models bearing the Philippines CSC codes are all on Lollipop, Android 5.0. See 41 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide for more information regarding models, firmwares and Product and CSC codes.