Samsung Galaxy S5 Gets Android Marshmallow

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
"The Samsung Galaxy S5 is scheduled to get Marshmallow eventually, but some models only received Android 5.1.1 in October, meaning most customers are in for quite the wait. Even when the changes do arrive, they may ultimately taste quite a bit like TouchWiz, and that's not a flavor everyone likes having on their tongue.

Fortunately the good old standby option, flashing a custom ROM, is still around, reminding us of the perks of Android's open source foundation. CyanogenMod nightlies running Android 6.0 have made their way to the Galaxy S5, codenamed klte. The full download comes in at 286MB, not counting the GApps package you will probably want to grab as well.

Now for the caveats. These are nightlies, so they may not provide the most stable experience. Whether that bothers you or not, you will need a GSM model to dive in right away. That said, this is not intended for AT&T carrier versions, nor is it going to work for Sprint (kltespr), Verizon (kltevzw), or US Cellular (klteusc) devices. Hopefully they will get the goods at some point, but considering only the Sprint model received CyanogenMod 12.1, maybe not.
"

Source

[ROM] CyanogenMod 13.0 | Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow | [12/27/2015]+Nightlies

CyanogenMod website

CyanogenMod Wikipedia

Download

Google apps (gapps)

N.B. This is for experienced and competent users and may not be suitable for everyday use. AT&T and Verizon users will not receive CM13, or any other custom ROM, as they have unrootable carrier firmwares

ironass motto... "Flash in haste... repent at leisure!"

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I have G900AUCU2ANG3 for the baseband. It is rooted and unlocked but otherwise stock. Running 4.4.2

Sorry but it won't work. See, here.

"WARNING:
DO NOT USE THIS GUIDE ON VERIZON OR ATT DEVICES! These carriers enforce boot image signing and attempting to use this guide will end in misery/tears.
"

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I am surprised at how stable these CM13, Marshmallow, Android 6.0.1 nightly releases are. There are some very nice features in Android 6.0.1, not the least of which is the treatment of the external SD card as an extension of the phone's memory. As you can see from the screenshot below, it has the latest, 1 January 2016, security patch as well.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
UPDATE on Android 6.0.1 MARSHMALLOW CM13

The latest nightly releases for Marshmallow, Android 6.0.1, from CyanogenMod on CM13, have been very good and I have been using it as my daily ROM.

There are still some issues that need to be addressed in the coming releases, such as...

GPS on, "Device only", is not working but if you select , "High Accuracy", it gets to around 20-50ft of your position.

Camera is OK but I prefer using either Snap Camera HDR or A Better Camera Unlocked from the Play Store.

I have chosen not to format my extSDcard to act like the phone's internal storage, so that I can flit between CM13 and stock Samsung firmware. This means a few workarounds with things like Titanium Backup, for instance.

I have also installed the latest beta test version of SuperSU 2.67 beta which works fine with Android 6.0.1 and also BusyBox PRO.

The ROM is very, very, light and fast, running as it is, on pure AOSP, (Android Open Source Project), firmware and slim mini Google apps, (gapps), it cuts out all the Google, Samsung and carrier bloatware.

Marshmallow CM13 download = 293.65MB
Slim mini gapps, (optional), download = 212.80MB

(N.B. As with all CM nightly ROMs, these are for experienced and competent, rooted, users and all threads mentioned, should be read, carefully and thoroughly, prior to flashing. Always take a nandroid backup of your current stock firmware before doing an FDR and installing via TWRP, custom recovery)

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
The latest nightly build, 20160202, of Marshmallow, Android 6.0.1, comes with Google's recent Security patch, dated 1 February 2016, and released by Google yesterday.

I have been using these Marshmallow, Android 6.0.1 builds, on and off, for around 2 months now and I have to say that this has been one of the best, if not the best, CyanogenMod launches, to-date. Battery life is very good on Marshmallow, thanks in part to the Doze feature that it incorporates.

It will be interesting to see which of Google's Marshmallow stock features, Samsung decide to keep in their builds of Marshmallow, which should start rolling out in the next 8 weeks or so. I'm pretty certain that Doze will be one of them.

(N.B. As with all CM nightly ROMs, these are for experienced and competent, rooted, users and all threads mentioned, should be read, carefully and thoroughly, prior to flashing. Always take a nandroid backup of your current stock firmware before doing an FDR and installing via TWRP, custom recovery)

Last edited:

Netherscourge

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I'm getting very impatient with Samsung's slow progress with Marshmallow on the Galaxy S5. In fact, I'm still running 5.0 as the latest firmware after doing all the updates.

I have a Sprint Galaxy S5 (USA). I have never rooted before, but I have Jailbroken iPhones in the past, so I'm not concerned about "bricking" my phone, so long as I know a reliable recovery method. I backup using Kies all the time, but I'm not sure if that's enough to recover a rooted or bricked phone.

Anyway, just curious:

1. What should I use to create a reliable "stock" backup that can recover my phone in case I screw it up while rooting? Or if I just want to recover back to a stock version for any reason?

2. As a rooting newbie, what step-by-step process should I follow to try this new update out?

3. Should I just hang tight for another 3 months and hope Samsung wakes up and remembers there is a huge Galaxy S5 user base still out here?

4. Do I even have the right phone version for this?
Soft.: G900PVPU3BOK4
Phone: G900P.04; SM-G900P
Android 5.0
Sprint USA

Thanks.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
G900F, klte, on the latest nightly, 20160212 and have noticed how much the GPS has improved for me. After booting and on, "Device only" in Location, the phone, using GPS Status and Toolbox, picked up 26 sat's, with a lock on 12, and achieved first fix in 42 sec's. A far cry from earlier releases which could take up to 640 sec's.

For a tutorial on how you can improve your phone's GPS accuracy, see, GPS fix S5 - Dummies Guide

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I really want to get my T-Mobile S5 off of Lollipop, but the Samsung Camera app is the only thing keeping me here.

- the Samsung camera has real-time HDR. No waiting around like all the other camera apps to take three separate exposures. One press and - poof - all exposures taken and blended in less than the blink of an eye with Samsung. Does CM13 have this?

- can CM13 record video in 60fps+?

- can it record in 4k like the stock camera does?

- is it possible to run the stock Samsung camera app on CM13?

- lastly, as others have mentioned, does the fingerprint scanner work? I really need it for getting into apps like Lastpass.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I really want to get my T-Mobile S5 off of Lollipop, but the Samsung Camera app is the only thing keeping me here.

- the Samsung camera has real-time HDR. No waiting around like all the other camera apps to take three separate exposures. One press and - poof - all exposures taken and blended in less than the blink of an eye with Samsung. Does CM13 have this?

- can CM13 record video in 60fps+?

- can it record in 4k like the stock camera does?

- is it possible to run the stock Samsung camera app on CM13?

- lastly, as others have mentioned, does the fingerprint scanner work? I really need it for getting into apps like Lastpass.

Sorry, been away and am now using the latest stock Samsung release for Android 6.0.1, Marshmallow. See, here.

The stock Samsung camera is very good, I have to admit, and is better, IMHO, than the CM13 release. See my comments in post #7

CM13 can record in 60 and 90fps and does have 4k. There is no mod that allows the stock Samsung camera to be ported to CM13. Fingerprint scanning is currently not possible on the Galaxy S5 although it is being worked on. See, here.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, been away and am now using the latest stock Samsung release for...

Thanks for the reply.

The stock Samsung Marshmallow - do you think a G900T (T-mobile) would work?

I'm really bummed out about the camera - I tried both of your camera recommendations in Post #7 but the HDR just isn't real-time. You have to sit and wait for it to take three different shots and from a photography standpoint that can introduce a lot of errors, not to mention making photo-taking more tedious. But the stock Marshmallow should have real-time HDR, right? You press the button and *boom* done all in one go?

Bummer that fingerprint isn't working - it saves a lot of time when opening certain applications.

Any idea why the Samsung camera app refuses to work on stock android?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
The stock Samsung release is for the worldwide, international, unbranded, model G900F and includes that models Marshmallow bootloader. I'm sure that some dev is working on it for the G900T, somewhere. The stock Samsung camera, which is in fact a number of apps, is all part and parcel of Samsung's Touchwiz overlay and to the best of my knowledge, on-one has managed to port this to an AOSP ROM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38