I cannot input or save any APN details and my mobile data does not work

phillipso

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

I have bought an unlocked samsung galaxy s5. It seems it is a phone from the USA, previously on Sprint network. I am using a Brazilian local carrier's sim card which is realtively new (4 months old). The phone is a G900P.04 running android 6.0 Marshmallow.
The mobile data is not working. Calls to the phone work fine, but no data.

I am trying to input the APN for my network here in Brazil (Vivo).
Every time I input the APN settings, and select 'save', nothing happens and the APN list is still empty. I have clicked 'reset to default' already. The list is empty - there are no pre-existing APNs.

I read somewhere else that it could be that the MCC or MNC code could be causing a problem, as the phone may think it is still in the USA. I don't know what that means.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Yes this COULD be the issue. Some Samsung phone are geo-restricted based on the Country they were sold in. The SG4 was sold like this, not sure about the 5, but perhaps it was. The packaging on my SG4 had a warning about this. What this means is that the phone can not be used in other Countries or at least not to it's full potential.

I'm trying to reach out for some help on this issue for you. :)

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
The Galaxy S5 carrier minority variant for Sprint, G900P, is a CDMA network model that is designed specifically for Sprint's own network. Brazil uses, as does most of the world, the GSM network. See, CDMA vs. GSM: What's the Difference?

Therefore, whilst the phone will be partially compatible on most of Brazil's 2G and 3G networks, it will not function on 4G/LTE.

Also, as pkcable has mentioned, it could still be locked to Sprint. Personally, I would seek a refund and get a GSM model of S5. See, 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Since it was on Sprint, that means the bands are CDMA, so that most likely rules out using voice and 3G (I'm assuming your carrier is a GSM carrier). The LTE bands may not be correct for your carrier so that can potentially eliminate those as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress