I'm running out of memory on my Samsung S5! :-(

tacrites

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a Samsung S5 with a 32GB SD card and I'm constantly running out of memory. :-(

I am only able to move some apps to the external card and then it seems that when apps are updated they get moved back to internal memory.

It's also frustrating that the Application manager is only allowed to move certain apps over the external memory.

Are there any options other than deleting apps? This is a work phone and encrypted so I really can't mess with the OS. My carrier is Verizon with Android version 6.0.1.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I have a Samsung S5 with a 32GB SD card and I'm constantly running out of memory. :-(

I am only able to move some apps to the external card and then it seems that when apps are updated they get moved back to internal memory.

It's also frustrating that the Application manager is only allowed to move certain apps over the external memory.

Are there any options other than deleting apps? This is a work phone and encrypted so I really can't mess with the OS. My carrier is Verizon with Android version 6.0.1.

You have the carrier hybrid model of Galaxy S5 for Verizon, G900V, which, as per #1.6 of 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide, has less internal memory, around 1.5GB, because of your carrier's bloatware. Also, when you move an app to the external SD card, it is only the app, itself that is moved. The data for that app stays on the internal phone memory. You may be able to free up some extra space by backing everything up and douing a Factory Data Reset and then re-installing your apps and settings. See, Backup! Backup! Backup! NOW!.

tacrites

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Yes it's a SM-G900V. :-(
So you suggest backing everything up, Factory Data Reset, and then reinstalling everything. Ouch! Sounds very time consuming. Just installing my company's email, calendar, conf s/w, and encryption stuff would take a very long time! And then their is my stuff. lol I was really hoping for something less painful. But thanks for the answer. I'll probably just wait for June when I'm eligible for an updated phone.
Thnx again,
-TAC