How to bring up "MENU" in apps without the 3 dashes? Left of "HOME" soft button no longer is Menu

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
How to bring up "MENU" in apps without the 3 dashes? Left of "HOME" soft button no longer is Menu

I use an app for my Onkyo AVR receiver that does not have a "3 dashes" on the upper corner for bringing up menu.

I have to access that menu in order to make key changes.

In the previous phones, i was able to press the left soft button (left of home), but now, the left button no longer is "menu" anymore due to almost all apps having a "3 dashes" for bringing up menu...well, not THIS Onkyo app!

may i ask how to bring up the menu button please? left soft button, whether a regular press, or a long press, doesn't do that.

thanks.

stan23

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: How to bring up "MENU" in apps without the 3 dashes? Left of "HOME" soft button no longer is Me

Long press the back button.

Posted via the Android Central App

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: How to bring up "MENU" in apps without the 3 dashes? Left of "HOME" soft button no longer is Me

Long press the back button.

Thanks for your reply, but the "long press of the back button" now brings up "multi-window/multi-tasking", as all current generation Samsung phones do that now, i.e. the S6 Edge+, the S6 Edge, etc.

Anyone else knows please? Thanks.

charles777

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

I don't have the phone yet but on my Samsung tablet, if I go into Settings / Accessibility / Dexterity I can activate something called the Assistant Menu that adds a handy floating box to the screen. The box contains navigation buttons and shortcuts such as Menu, Back, Screenshot etc. Mind you my tablet is still on KitKat so I don't know if the same buttons are there but it's worth a shot. Hope you find a solution.

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site

@charles777: thank you profusely.

this was precisely the solution.

i was able to get the menu inside the app to open up, do the necessary actions, and then once again, disable the special Accessibility special floating menu button.

thank you so much, @charles777.

charles777

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

@charles777: thank you profusely.

this was precisely the solution.

i was able to get the menu inside the app to open up, do the necessary actions, and then once again, disable the special Accessibility special floating menu button.

thank you so much, @charles777.

Glad I could help :)

stan23

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for your reply, but the "long press of the back button" now brings up "multi-window/multi-tasking", as all current generation Samsung phones do that now, i.e. the S6 Edge+, the S6 Edge, etc.

Anyone else knows please? Thanks.

Incorrect.

Long press of the left menu button brings up the multi-window/multi-tasking menu.

On one of my legacy apps--on an older phone to access the menu, I would long hold the left button. When I do that now, the multi-tasking menu comes up.. But if I long hold the right button (back) it will bring up the menu.

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site

Incorrect.

Long press of the left menu button brings up the multi-window/multi-tasking menu.

On one of my legacy apps--on an older phone to access the menu, I would long hold the left button. When I do that now, the multi-tasking menu comes up.. But if I long hold the right button (back) it will bring up the menu.

thanks for your reply. i just tried it on the Onkyo "2.3" app: the right soft button, i.e. the back button, long pressing does not do anything differently than a regular press, i.e. a so-called short press.

i got the app to go back one step, just like a short press.

nonetheless, @charless777's insight was enormously helpful. i got it done. accessed the "menu" and did what i need to do (uncheck a box, and rearranged inputs), and then when all was completed, i deactivated the Accessibility special menu again.

thanks to all! a great bunch here.

stan23

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

I guess it depends on the app. I use touchdown (exhange email app) and I was at first miffed that long pressing the menu button no longer brings up my sync window. But long pressing the right button does.

Well, glad you have your problem sorted.

Anthony Martins Rock

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
The menu capacitive button on the bottom left of note 3 and other phones is now on top right of screen on app by app basis as 3dots

helicopterpilot

May 10, 2016
Visit site

I have just bought a Samsung S7 and the long press 'back button' worked for me, brought up in the app the menus that I needed in no time:)

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site

I have just bought a Samsung S7 and the long press 'back button' worked for me, brought up in the app the menus that I needed in no time:)

it is possible that your app may differ from the one i need it for: the Onkyo AVR receiver app.

long pressing on the left button does NOT bring up the "3 dots menu". i had to resort to the accessibility/etc way to get to it. very cumbersome.

the app programer is the main culprit to blame, i think.