Marshmallow update question

alex lewis2

Apr 13, 2016
Visit site
Hi,recently just moved from an iPhone 6 plus to a s6 edge plus and when I go to update Ota it always says it's temporarily unavailable but it's been saying that for two days, can someone explain how to fix it or how to update over a computer? It's a Verizon phone but it's unlocked and I'm using it with straight talk. Thanks guys

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It seems that you're assuming that there's always going to be an update available - there isn't. Usually the first sign you'll see is a notification asking whether you accept the update. (The fact that some S6s are getting updates doesn't mean that the Verizon S6 is getting updates in your area, or that yours is in line for an update (updates are staggered).

alex lewis2

Apr 13, 2016
Visit site
That's what I noticed with my last andriod as well. I don't know why they can't just give them all out at one time. But Verizon s6 edge plus have been getting the update since the 11th. And it's not like my phone says there is no update it says that it's temporarily unavailable but it's been saying that for two days

EldoradoSan

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I think you're going to need to get an actual verizon sim card. I'm about to sell mine and wanted to update it beforehand. I tried to get it to update over WiFi but got the same message you did. I had to turn my new phone off and put the sim card back in the edge+. After I did that the update went through fine. I don't think verizon likes off network phones getting their updates.

alex lewis2

Apr 13, 2016
Visit site
But then why make the phones "unlockable" and advertise that they are if your gonna set limits like that. Overall even without the update I'm starting to realize how much further ahead my Samsung phone is then my iPhone was

smhism

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
If you're not currently on VZW's network, I don't think you'll get the ota. Try plugging your phone into a computer and updating through the vzw software assistant or smart switch.

EldoradoSan

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
But then why make the phones "unlockable" and advertise that they are if your gonna set limits like that. Overall even without the update I'm starting to realize how much further ahead my Samsung phone is then my iPhone was

I can't answer that, I've never dealt with unlocked phones. But I wouldn't put it past any company to make sure that if you are using one of their phones, but not using their network, to deny you updates via their network. These places make almost next to nothing on these phones nowadays, and they used to practically give them away with contracts. They want the services because that is where the money is, and if they aren't getting any money from you, they likely aren't going to give you anything in return.

If you know anyone who uses verizon it might be just easier to borrow their sim card to get the update and then swap back. Now that the "rush" is over it would take no time to get it downloaded and installed and it wouldn't affect their account either other than verizon seeing that they briefly swapped phones. Thinking about it, the only issue I could see with that route is that the phone may want to download contacts from the card, but I can't think of any others. Or perhaps you could contact Samsung about the process of updating an unlocked phone.

cmoG22

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Off topic, but I actually plan on moving to the iPhone 6s plus from this device. What made you wanna move to this device?

alex lewis2

Apr 13, 2016
Visit site
Well I had the iPhone for awhile and you can noticeably tell how much clearer and HD the galaxy screen looks as well as the much better camera. It's faster to me as well and the customizable options are great for me on the edge. Don't get me wrong the iphones a good phone and it's the best one they had yet but to me between how much more high Def the edge screen is and all the options and camera I went with the galaxy. I do miss imessage tho that was a cool feature and Siri. I thought by now android or Samsung would have a decent voice assistant

cmoG22

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Agreed and all the positives you mentioned are what I'd miss the most. I really miss rooting and this is the first device I haven't been able to root and it drives me nuts.lol Maybe, I should just save up for the 6p instead....

michaelp68

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Well I had the iPhone for awhile and you can noticeably tell how much clearer and HD the galaxy screen looks as well as the much better camera. It's faster to me as well and the customizable options are great for me on the edge. Don't get me wrong the iphones a good phone and it's the best one they had yet but to me between how much more high Def the edge screen is and all the options and camera I went with the galaxy. I do miss imessage tho that was a cool feature and Siri. I thought by now android or Samsung would have a decent voice assistant
I find you can ask Google anything out loud, like Siri. Some things, it works far better than Siri, other things, maybe not as well and then others are fairly comparable. My wife uses an iPhone and I'm usually able to ask and receive information we want and get it faster by asking Google.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87