Buying new edge this weekend Verizon Anything to look out for?

zhowland

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
I know its very new but is their anything I should watch out for when getting this phone from Verizon this weekend?

Thanks for any assistance!

PRidd

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
Bubbles under/in the screen and camera.

Make sure Screen Rotation works.

Dead pixels in the screen.

Scratches on the screen/phone right out of the box.

zhowland

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
awesome thank you and i assume their is no issue just starting the phone up to find the pixel problem. The bubble issue what do you mean by that? and the screen rotation deal just turn it sideways and make sure is moves over in a snap??

shadow82x

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
I've had 2 defective devices with display panel issues. The first being 2 bright blue stuck pixels and the second have dust between the display and glass. Be sure to double and even triple check that display. I have Verizon issuing me a third device now. >.> Even tech support says it's a very common issue.

zhowland

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Great info thank you very much! So basically not alot of internal/usage problems more of the esthetic issues. Gotcha. I was thinking about getting the white/black one but their are a few other colors right like gold and green?

shadow82x

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
Great info thank you very much! So basically not alot of internal/usage problems more of the esthetic issues. Gotcha. I was thinking about getting the white/black one but their are a few other colors right like gold and green?

Gold doesn't come out till May 1st AFAIK and I heard green might not be coming out till Q4 2015. (If it does come out) I have to say the black sapphire looks beautiful though.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
When they get ready to set it up, insist that they plug the charger in first. Using a battery that's in an unknown state, even for 10 minutes, can knock months, or even a year, off its lifespan. Then, when you get it home, condition it. Read The Care and Feeding of Lithium Polymer Batteries. This isn't a $15, pop the back off, battery replacement. (I assume you're already on Verizon. If you aren't, check your coverage first. Holes can be as small as a few inches, and as large as miles, so if you have to go down the hall from your office to get a Verizon signal, but you have a strong AT&T signal at your desk and no coverage at the end of the hall, Verizon isn't your best bet. Just checking the street in front of the building won't tell you anything either. Sprint covers this city like a blanket - except my daughter's house, which is a dead zone. So, even though they're cheap and have great coverage, they're useless to me.)

zhowland

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
OK what is the relevancy of plugging it in at the store for 10 mins? I read the whole run down that you wrote on batteries a while ago linked in this chat. Why would i bother having it plugged in for 10 mins in the store? Just so it doesn't go below 40%? For conditioning of the battery i can drain it to charge warning (15% on my current galexy s4) asap then charge 100%+30 mins 3 seperate times. After that never go below 40%? And if this is the case of never going below 40% what if i bounce up to like 55 or 60 just not enough time in the car to get back up to a solid 100%? Is that a problem?

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Most people don't do anything special with their batteries and they are fine. If you want your battery in optimal condition 2 years from now so it's at 90% capacity rather than being at 80% capacity or so then yes be super careful with it. If you don't care that much and are fine with paying $45 for a new battery in a couple years if you decide to keep the device then don't worry.

Mine came with a lot of scratches on the screen that were only visible under very bright light or direct sunlight. Might be hard to see in the store, but something to check for when you walk outside before you get home.

Some people are having some issues with WiFi drain. Unfortunately you won't know until you get to using it. There's no way of checking while you are in the store.

Kyle Tate

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Look out for your mind being completely blown by how awesome this phone is. First thing you should do is shoot a 45 second video outside and replay. See how easy Smart Switch is for all of your data transfer from your old phone. But definitely, definitely get some type of case or cover. I would love to roll with this thing naked... Yes! But in all seriousness even if it's $11, do something to keep the glass from cracking which would totally bum you out. And by cracking it's not like the glass has fallen into pieces, you just don't want any scratches on this thing. You don't want a two-year-old running their hands on your Ferrari.

Read! Read! Read! All the little tips, tweaks, tricks so that you have your phone exactly the way you want it. Worry about the wallpaper and screen lock pictures and ring tones later, understand how to navigate around this phone, take a picture, make a phone call, set up your favorites along the edge, things like that.

zhowland

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Steves I know you're totally right but i just want to guess that i will treat this one different than the others b4 it..... odds on not likely but atleast for the first day or 2... ;)

Kyle thank you for the heads up on the exciting new toy i will be getting... Where can i read do you have a link to tricks and such, i mean i know you have the launcher b4 that you set up left and right hand but more than that? If you could direct me that would be great!

zhowland

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
with this wifi battery drain problem is that just as it sounds instead of saving memory w/ wifi it kills your phone asap?? I guess i couldn't connect to the wifi at verizon and check to see if that is on the one i get?

Kyle Tate

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
with this wifi battery drain problem is that just as it sounds instead of saving memory w/ wifi it kills your phone asap?? I guess i couldn't connect to the wifi at verizon and check to see if that is on the one i get?

First off, don't automatically assume that your phone is going to have some battery drain problem. Not everybody has experienced that or else there would be way more "riots" and "rants" going on at the carrier's store. As far as a few walk-throughs, I will try to dig them up as I was doing the same thing last week waiting for Friday the 10th. Are you going to pick yours up on Saturday? So anyway, here is one of the first ones that is such a nice job of being very simple with walk-throughs. I look at it now and I have learned so much in a week. I will send you a few more FAQs so that you will have a great understanding.