Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Slightly old news, but Chainfire has a root method: CF-Auto-Root | Samsung Galaxy S6 | XDA Forums

As always with rooting:
- Check to make sure you need to unlock your bootloader or not. If you do need to, this will 100% wipe your device, so back up any and all data you don't want to lose.
- Read several times. If you aren't sure of something, ask first. Rooting is not something that needs to be done right now. It is much better to wait a few days and get the procedure right than spend a sleepless night fixing a mistake.

For more DOs and DON'Ts after rooting:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ambassador-guides-tips-how-s/519487-guide-you-ve-rooted-your-phone-now-what.html

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
What are some of the advantages that you gain by rooting the S6?

Does it allow us to obtain a fix for Ram leakage?

Can it allow us to control apps that keep the device awake?

dreaming of electric sheep

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
What are some of the advantages that you gain by rooting the S6?

Does it allow us to obtain a fix for Ram leakage?

Can it allow us to control apps that keep the device awake?

dreaming of electric sheep

The RAM leak issue is a 5.0.2 android problem, fixed in 5.1 I believe. Not much you an do about wake locks, other than ID'ing them, and trying to work around the app. That said, here is what I have done so far with root-

Installed AdAway- Don't leave home without it
Installed Tasker (don't need root for that) and created an airplane mode toggle that does not require a confirmation (that does require root).
Installed CSC application and removed persistent wifi notification (some other tweaks are available, more likely to come as people figure out what the heck the "features" are named.
You can actually delete the applications you do not want, instead of disabling them only. I did not bother with this part, but some people would like that for sure.
Titanium Backup- Real app backup

That is what I have done so far with it.

leon odell

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I understand that with Ping Pong if you install a "custom" recovery it will trip KNOX. FYI :I used a Galaxy S5 rooted for over a year, Samsung and T-Mobile both knew this. Never had a bit of trouble getting help from either company on the phone. Traded it in to T-Mobile for the S6,again no problem. It is my understanding that to lose a warranty in the USA the issuer must show that what you did caused the malfunction. EG if you over clock then CPU burns out you are SOL. So you can still get warranty work after root, I did. Please don't think this is written in stone but it is my experience.

Bryan Cruse

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Does this root method work after update? I used ping pong and I'm not wanting to take the OTA because of lost root

Sent from my rooted S6 using Tapatalk

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Does this root method work after update? I used ping pong and I'm not wanting to take the OTA because of lost root

Sent from my rooted S6 using Tapatalk

I think you can unroot, take the update... And maybe not be able to get root again. The little att update still allows it, but who knows on 5.1 yet. I will wait to hear, and maybe flash it instead of ota.

Posted via the Android Central App

Allan Preston

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Once you root your handset, its my understanding that it disables OTA updates (Over the air).

Is there any other way of getting updates? With my S3, even though OTA updates was disabled as it was rooted, I could get updates via Samsung Kies 3, but it appears that Kies 3 doesn't support the S6, and I have to use some program called Smartswitch. Smartswitch, from a cursory look, doesn't seem to cover updating at all. Its purely for backing up your apps/contacts and restoring backed up apps/contacts.

So I'm guessing that I'd have to "unroot" a rooted handset, to be able to update it.

Is this correct?

sandip mehata

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Advantages and limitation of android device

What is rooting?

Android rooting means gaining privileged control or system control of smartphone,tablet and other devices.

Benefits of rooting

1). Remove Preinstalled Crapware.
2). Flash a Custom Kernel and Custom Rom.
3). Customize the system file like view the saved wifi password.
4). Improved performance with better battery backup.

Limitation of Rooting

1). Your Phone Might Get Bricked.
2). Rooting the android phone may void your warranty.

Given below provide you the steps to root android device<link removed by Moderator >

Last edited by a moderator:

Jamez Avila

Banned
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know whether I can update my AT&T GS6 to 5.1 using the software update from another US carrier? I want to use ODIN to upgrade the s/w but I don't know which other carrier's s/w is compatible with the AT&T version. Any help would be appreciated.
Jim

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I updated and then used ping pong root. No issues.
So you were stock, took the ota to 5.1.1 and then used ping pong and it worked?
The RAM leak issue is a 5.0.2 android problem, fixed in 5.1 I believe. Not much you an do about wake locks, other than ID'ing them, and trying to work around the app. That said, here is what I have done so far with root-

Installed AdAway- Don't leave home without it
Installed Tasker (don't need root for that) and created an airplane mode toggle that does not require a confirmation (that does require root).
Installed CSC application and removed persistent wifi notification (some other tweaks are available, more likely to come as people figure out what the heck the "features" are named.
You can actually delete the applications you do not want, instead of disabling them only. I did not bother with this part, but some people would like that for sure.
Titanium Backup- Real app backup

That is what I have done so far with it.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

phillysunny

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Is it true that S6 Edge on Verizon can be chaged or used on t-mobile and at&t? SOmething new about S6 which mkaes them compatible? How about US Cellular S6 will they work on tmobile or is there a way to make all the phones work on other carriers? LIke sprint on tombile?

neverfox

Jul 25, 2015
Visit site
I apologize in advance if this question gets asked a lot but, if I go into Verizon tomorrow and get an S6, is it likely to be one I can root, or should I expect all new store models to be locked down?