Anyone undecided about the S6?

itsnotmeitsyou

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I decided against it before the reviews due to the Price Tag and No Swappable Battery or Expandable Storage.
I don't want to be packing battery packs or a dongle memory stick.
If you use your phone enough to regularly need a spare battery, I would skip it too. Personally, even while having 2 batteries for a few of my phones, I've never carried both to swap them out. My spare Note 4 battery has actually been sitting in my "junk" drawer pretty much since I bought it, lol. All of my media is streamed, and my pictures are automatically uploaded to the cloud every night when I plug my phone into the charger, so the only thing I use phone storage for is apps. But it is completely subjective to individual uses and preferences.

dtblair24

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I decided against it before the reviews due to the Price Tag and No Swappable Battery or Expandable Storage.
I don't want to be packing battery packs or a dongle memory stick.

Yeah I understand people love those options but it's probably time to accept that at some point in the near future all flagships will have a unibody construction.
What does surprise me though, is no expandable storage. HTC manages to do it still. Only thing I can think of is greed when a company takies the apple route charging people all this money for a higher capacity phone when storage is dirt cheap. And I guess also encouraging the use of the cloud for everything. But data aint cheap nor reliable

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Andrew Martonik also saying he gets about 2.5 hours screen time with the S6: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...you-have-questions-ask-me-11.html#post4313223

Man this is not looking good. I get about double that on my current phone.

I might wait for a few weeks to see what the response is like then decide to grab one or not. These the performance and battery aren't comforting.

Oh no, 2.5hrs Screen time is terrible.

Posted via Android Central App

John Kar

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Andrew Martonik also saying he gets about 2.5 hours screen time with the S6: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...you-have-questions-ask-me-11.html#post4313223

I might wait for a few weeks to see what the response is like then decide to grab one or not. These the performance and battery aren't comforting.

Oh no, 2.5hrs Screen time is terrible.

I call BS.

Chris Wayne2

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm undecided, I mean, if I sell my S5 right now (pristine condition btw) plus some extra cash I have I might be able to pick up the S6 but probably not the Edge variant (which is the one I like the most, at least from a design POV), the S6 looks just too iPhone-esque to me, the edge does an amazing job at improving the s6's look but then again, that extra cost is hard to justify since the added features are minimal.

Also the battery is kinda disappointing to me since some reviews mention that it is inferior to the one on the s5, so yeah, undecided, I guess I'll wait around a month to see if the first units come with some kind of problems to make my move, don't have intentions to be an early adopter again, the Nokia N900 taught me dat!

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm undecided, I mean, if I sell my S5 right now (pristine condition btw) plus some extra cash I have I might be able to pick up the S6 but probably not the Edge variant (which is the one I like the most, at least from a design POV), the S6 looks just too iPhone-esque to me, the edge does an amazing job at improving the s6's look but then again, that extra cost is hard to justify since the added features are minimal.

Also the battery is kinda disappointing to me since some reviews mention that it is inferior to the one on the s5, so yeah, undecided, I guess I'll wait around a month to see if the first units come with some kind of poroblems to make my move, don't have intentions to be an early adopter again, the Nokia N900 taught me dat!

Hate to keep beating a dead .....but, battery review results have to be taken with a grain of salt. One criteria...can it make it through a typical business day....appears so. If it can't, we have a problem but not an earth-shattering one. I usually have a charger in the office, home, and car.

Reviews, from the MWC to now, also have to be taken in context of varying firmware versions, device setups, test conditions, etc. Also, keep in mind that the device optimization is allowing a smaller battery to achieve nearly comparable results, again based upon what we have heard to date, powering a QHD display and faster chipset, both of which are more energy efficient, and improved features and performance. TouchWiz has been slimmed down. These result compared to bigger brother powering a slower machine with a heavy TouchWiz footprint and lower result ion screen and not the same features, with card slot, we might have gotten a bigger battery. Sometimes, it's best to wait and not be an early adopter as more UI and OS fixes could be rolled out to address nagging issues.

Chris Wayne2

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
Hate to keep beating a dead .....but, battery review results have to be taken with a grain of salt. One criteria...can it make it through a typical business day....appears so. If it can't, we have a problem but not an earth-shattering one. I usually have a charger in the office, home, and car.

Reviews, from the MWC to now, also have to be taken in context of varying firmware versions, device setups, test conditions, etc. Also, keep in mind that the device optimization is allowing a smaller battery to achieve nearly comparable results, again based upon what we have heard to date, powering a QHD display and faster chipset, both of which are more energy efficient, and improved features and performance. TouchWiz has been slimmed down. These result compared to bigger brother powering a slower machine with a heavy TouchWiz footprint and lower result ion screen and not the same features, with card slot, we might have gotten a bigger battery. Sometimes, it's best to wait and not be an early adopter as more UI and OS fixes could be rolled out to address nagging issues.

Well yes, I guess I kinda over reacted to the battery thing, I guess is good enough but also it could be better, just look at the Sony Z3.

Looking forward to the Galaxy S6 edge (if I can afford it) but given that the G4 and Z4 might get announced anytime I guess we'll see.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Well yes, I guess I kinda over reacted to the battery thing, I guess is good enough but also it could be better, just look at the Sony Z3.

Looking forward to the Galaxy S6 edge (if I can afford it) but given that the G4 and Z4 might get announced anytime I guess we'll see.

Lollipop 5.1 may further help as well as firmware fixes may also help from a device optimization perspective. There are also alternative such as carrying a small power bank. I wasn't sold on the Edge, primarily due to price versus functionality of the edges, one or both edges. It also had an awkward feel in the hand as the edge were pronounced enough that I felt that the GS6 had a more solid premium feel in the hand.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

I really can't stress this enough; it's one review unit. Countless others have contradicted his findings in their reviews/pre reviews. He's not lying, but he may very well have a lemon. It also got updated yesterday so we'll see how that changes things. Go read 10 other reviews and they all won't cite his issues.

This whole "sky is falling" thing is waaaaaay too premature and honestly it's in the minority because the general consensus at this point is that those issues don't exist.

Posted via the Android Central App

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

About right if you don't manage data connection and sync. You can usually improve this by 50 percent with aforementioned management.

I predicted s6 will have sot between 3 to 5 hr, I don't see anything changing that. For those who just use it as is without battery care, roughly 3 hr is what they are looking at.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Anyone on the fence should grab it. Take advantage of the free charge pad ($50 value) and if you have poor performance, return it.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I really can't stress this enough; it's one review unit. Countless others have contradicted his findings in their reviews/pre reviews. He's not lying, but he may very well have a lemon. It also got updated yesterday so we'll see how that changes things. Go read 10 other reviews and they all won't cite his issues.

This whole "sky is falling" thing is waaaaaay too premature and honestly it's in the minority because the general consensus at this point is that those issues don't exist.

Exactly. Seems like he already made up his mind if he's going after a few negative reviews, comments like this while majority of reviewers are saying otherwise.

When I was playing with S6 at BB, it certainly didn't feel like battery is dropping that fast and even slower drain if brightness set below 75%.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Exactly. Seems like he already made up his mind if he's going after a few negative reviews, comments like this while majority of reviewers are saying otherwise.

When I was playing with S6 at BB, it certainly didn't feel like battery is dropping that fast and even slower drain if brightness set below 75%.

It'd hold more weight with me if this was being widely reported. It isn't. Updates will continue to happen, as one came out yesterday.

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site

There's nothing like balancing the 'hype machine' with a bit of 'sky fall' give us dream phone nerds some perspective :)

maj71303

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I look at it like this, if you have doubts it might not be for you. I have a bit of android fatigue being that other than a nexus updates are slow coming from the OEM's. It seems Google has lost vision of what they want android to be as it is a bit of a mess of features and new ideas since they released lollipop. IF you are thinking that updates will make these phones what you want them to be i would think again. First it takes forever to get updates on most carriers and then they have the samsung apps and carrier apps installed on them. You don't know if an update will be good or slow your phone down more the way everyone wants to remain relevant by adding there special sauce to it.
If you are buying a phone buy it for the now and not what it might be after updates, updates are not a guarantee of performance. Me, myself, I'm taking a sabbatical from android as right now there is no vision and Google needs to get a grip of what android is going to be. They also need to nip the update thing in the **** with regards to the carriers. Google needs to get with all Soc manufacturers and get some pristine optimization going for android. Google lastly needs to get back to basics and optimize the core of android to do the basic things right like memory management, storage management, file system optimization, browsing, Text, phone dialing, gps, signal processing, and then add new features.
This is where apple beats android doing the basics right. Google problem right now is they throw a splattering of features out but don't take the time to optimize the basics of androids foundation. It seems they like trying to put up a state of the art building on a foundation of sand so far.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
If you use your phone enough to regularly need a spare battery, I would skip it too. Personally, even while having 2 batteries for a few of my phones, I've never carried both to swap them out. My spare Note 4 battery has actually been sitting in my "junk" drawer pretty much since I bought it, lol. All of my media is streamed, and my pictures are automatically uploaded to the cloud every night when I plug my phone into the charger, so the only thing I use phone storage for is apps. But it is completely subjective to individual uses and preferences.

Yeah, for those with unlimited data, using the Cloud totally makes sense.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
This is what worries me though. Samsung publicly claimed zero lag. But with these reports, that's simply not true. If it still has occasional stutter then yes it's a marked improvement over previous galaxy phones, but no it's not really a leg up on any other popular brand.

*Report. Over 2 days. With a phone that's technically pre-release. In direct contradiction of several other hands-on accounts.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site