How is your standby? Lost 30% last night....

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't think things like turning off some unnecessary settings in WiFi, Sync and some bloat apps are like micro-managing your phone. It's just one time thing that will help battery life than doing nothing.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I don't think things like turning off some unnecessary settings in WiFi, Sync and some bloat apps are like micro-managing your phone. It's just one time thing that will help battery life than doing nothing.

Right. Disabling those things can definitely help, but even with those things enabled, a brand new phone shouldn't be draining 30% overnight. It can help, but it's most likely not the root of his problem.

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
My Moto E loses anywhere between 10-20% battery overnight while on standy with no apps running in the background and all that too with all battery hogging stuff like GPS, wifi, Google+, Google play books, games, music, etc all such crap permanently disabled. So i just turn off my phone at night. Its not a solution but the only workaround. Interestingly my previous phone Nokia Lumia also had the same issue. Its difficult to understand what's the cause of it and after a while you just give up after trying many things. So i gave up, i quit, i am a quitter. Please don't give up like me.

edgefever

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Right. Disabling those things can definitely help, but even with those things enabled, a brand new phone shouldn't be draining 30% overnight. It can help, but it's most likely not the root of his problem.

Something is wrong there...even my thunderbolt didn't do that

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Something is wrong there...even my thunderbolt didn't do that

I've been saying that but to try to identify the issue, the affected person should do some troubleshooting to try to fix it, it won't get fixed magically, assuming the "I shouldn't be doing this in a Brand new Flagship device" attitude won't help him/her or other users that come to this forums looking for answers and solutions to their issues.

Granted, it shouldn't be doing that, it has been clear since the first time that it was mentioned, this is not normal, as simple as that, but only thing we are trying to do here is been proactive and not waiting for T-Mobile or Samsung to fix something, that if we don't complain about it they won't even know that is happening.

Also, it's been reported that some are having the same issue where the Cell Standby is using a lot of battery, over XDA, there are some that has posted that after the latest update of the Ant+ app this appears to have been solved, plus others have mentioned that turning off Wifi calling has decreased a lot the Android System high battery usage, so it may be a bug right now on t-mobile software.

In a summary, we know is not normal, but if at least the Screenshots are posted and we can see all the Battery stats detailed info, maybe we can find what may be wrong, if nothing is found, you can always go to T-Mobile and ask for a new one.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Have you checked the settings I have posted in other threads?, I'm talking about just turning off Smart Network Switching and Always Scanning, both totally unneeded Wifi Settings.

Also, so far, the only phones on Customer hands are T-Mobile ones,, by default, wifi calling is turned on, according to other people over XDA they have turned off Wifi calling and in some cases it has gotten a lot better, so it seems that it may be some kind of a T-Mobile bug that can be affecting Standby battery stats.

Genuine question, why is "Always Scanning" bad again? Doesn't it only scan if you're using WiFi, kind of like if you leave GPS on it's fine because it's only activated when you go into Maps or use some location-related app? Or something...? I don't fully grasp it... :T

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Genuine question, why is "Always Scanning" bad again? Doesn't it only scan if you're using WiFi, kind of like if you leave GPS on it's fine because it's only activated when you go into Maps or use some location-related app? Or something...? I don't fully grasp it... :T

Description directly from the Setting itself:

"Scanning always available - Let Google's location service and other apps scan for networks, even when Wi-Fi is off"

I don't know you but to me that's totally intrusive and unnecessary, and the obvious hit to the battery life.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Lot's of great advice and recommendations in this thread for potential issues, workarounds, and information.

Having used an S3, N2, N3; I've been following this thread and others on AC to see what the S6 is all about now that its shipping.

For those experiencing potential battery usage concerns, one thing I've found is that a screenshot for GSAM or stock battery usage details helps everyone to visualize and gain further context. That in my experience can help provide more details and potential clues for what may be going on.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
I read the XDA Forums and the same S6 battery life complaints over there and the potential T-Mobile WiFi Calling Solution (by turning it off). I turned off WiFi calling this afternoon with no change at all in depletion rates after watching it for the past 4+ hours. Still huge Cell Standby and Android System impacts to my battery life.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I read the XDA Forums and the same S6 battery life complaints over there and the potential T-Mobile WiFi Calling Solution (by turning it off). I turned off WiFi calling this afternoon with no change at all in depletion rates after watching it for the past 4+ hours. Still huge Cell Standby and Android System impacts to my battery life.

Did you try a restart after turning it off?
What about a factory data reset after you updated the phone when you first got it? If not do the restart first, if it don't help FDR is the best option to try next.

Posted via the Android Central App

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

i went to xda and could not find anything about t-mobile wifi calling.

Now I do know that leaving wifi on when there is no wifi network available tend to consume more battery. T-mobile has a wifi manager that keep turning wifi on by itself. So maybe disable wifi manager in t-mobile tool, then turn wifi off when not in use?

Yeah, I am repeating myself again...... turning wifi off.........

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
95% of the time I have access to a charger or will within 2-3 hours ... the other times, like if I'm camping or out in the city, I actually enjoy my surroundings or company enough that I don't need or want to be on my phone ... and no, I don't use my phone for gps or compass when camping. there's just some times I really don't want to see my phone

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
What the heck is Ant+ anyway?

It's a format (like Bluetooth) agreed upon amongst many exercise tracking systems. I personally have Speed and cadence sensors on my bike and they transmit the info through ANT to my cycle computer which shows distance, speed, etc. Having it on the phone is very useful for me and others using their sensors, but I understand it is a small minority.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
i went to xda and could not find anything about t-mobile wifi calling.

Now I do know that leaving wifi on when there is no wifi network available tend to consume more battery. T-mobile has a wifi manager that keep turning wifi on by itself. So maybe disable wifi manager in t-mobile tool, then turn wifi off when not in use?

Yeah, I am repeating myself again...... turning wifi off.........

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s6-edge/general/galaxy-s6-edge-battery-life-t3068598/page5

I hope this helped

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

it seems he turned wifi off. :D Like I suggested here :D:D

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=59831214&postcount=48

btw, he has an edge, so may have 20-30 more sot than normal s6.

btw2, he is now saying he got 2.75r hr sot and now at 70% playing movie. Don't be surprised or mislead, because AMOLED screen always have great video playback sot. My Note 3 can go 15hrs just plays video.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana