From the s4 to the s6 - miss the menu key

emad1995

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Where? I see no such button icon in wattsapp?

I guess 800 million users can "just get used to" NOT being able to mute notifications, change their status, start new groups, new broadcasts, edit their profile or do ANYTHING other than continue with existing conversations?

Dumbest move ever.

Everything is in the 3 dots icon

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 192.jpg
    192.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 183.jpg
    183.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 49

bigglyguy

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Re:

There is no such icon/symbol on my Wattsapp installation.

I have the search and contacts software buttons but not those 3 dots.

Does the app recognize if the phone has a proper menu button, and only display those dots if the phone doesn't? I haven't inserted my SIM card or logged into any accounts on my new phone, so cannot open Wattsapp on my S6. Certainly that menu is not showing on my Note 2.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Where? I see no such button icon in wattsapp?
I guess 800 million users can "just get used to" NOT being able to mute notifications, change their status, start new groups, new broadcasts, edit their profile or do ANYTHING other than continue with existing conversations?

Now that would be retarded. Of course you use the menu icon to access those functions...smh.

Last edited:

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
Why complain about things you don't like about the phone and then when people offer you suggestions not even try them because you "don't like the phone". That seems redundant

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes you're right. It was so useful I have no memory of even using it in the almost four years I had both the S2 and the S4 devices. The feature isn't needed. Apps all come with their own menu options now

Last edited:

emad1995

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I don't think any devices that have come out in the past year or two have had menu buttons. Since Android defaults with the recent apps key that's what most manufacturer's are using in their devices. If you look at the previous generation of Samsung flagships you'll see that the note 4 and galaxy s5 don't have menu buttons either.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The feature isn't needed. Apps all come with their own menu options now
Most do. For the ones that don't, won't be updated and are still needed, some way of getting to the menu is needed. Fortunately, the menu key is still interpreted by some of them as the menu key.

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
Most do. For the ones that don't, won't be updated and are still needed, some way of getting to the menu is needed. Fortunately, the menu key is still interpreted by some of them as the menu key.

The fact that I used the S2 for two years and the S4 for 18 months and have no idea what anyone is talking about when they mention a menu key should show that Samsung obviously had a reason for removing this feature. A recent apps menu is MUCH more usable, relevant and helpful for this button. Not only that but from what I read in this thread Samsung was the only company that even had the menu button so I don't know what people think they will use instead

bigglyguy

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
As I just mentioned elsewhere, can you imagine if Microsoft decided the right-click on the mouse should no longer be a context-sensitive menu, but a list of recently opened software?

Because if you're used to the menu key, thats exactly what it's like to find it replaced with "recents".

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re:

There is no such icon/symbol on my Wattsapp installation.

That is an issue with Whatsapp then -- not the phone or software. Google has made it pretty well known they want the 3-dot menu in all their apps. I would contact the devs and let them know.

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
As I just mentioned elsewhere, can you imagine if Microsoft decided the right-click on the mouse should no longer be a context-sensitive menu, but a list of recently opened software?

Because if you're used to the menu key, thats exactly what it's like to find it replaced with "recents".

It's called learning new technology. Which is the way of the world. Technology is ALWAYS changing

Minhaj Raj

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
I had the s4 for a long time and I activated my new s6 last night. I love the s6 so much but I noticed I really miss the menu key which they replaced with a recent apps key in the s5 and the s6. Anyone else experience this when they switched to the s6 (or the s5)? Any hidden tricks to help me? How long did it take you to adjust?

I found the solution to this problem guys yaayy :)

I have the all new Samsung Galaxy s6 edge plus and I was having the same issue. I hated the fact there is no dedicated menu key on Samsung phones anymore.

But I worked my magic around to find the hidden solution.

All you have to do is simply "press and hold the BACK key" and then magic menu options will appear.

I knew Samsung wouldn't just completely get rid of the so important menu key.

Now just thank me guys for making your life easier :)

Johan Fredriksson

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
This is just horrible... Kind of

I think the decision to change the menu button for for a damn app-switcher is a baaaaad choice. Changing apps by longpressing home was working just fine, but now the menu does NOT!
I've heard several statements that you only use the three-dot-menu and the problem is solved, but that really doesn't work for all apps. The menu button DID! Vire Launcher is one good example (and probably more launchers). How the hell do you open up the menu for a launcher from the home screen when the menu button is gone? There is no three-dot-meny-button in the top left corner on the homescreen :mad: The answer is - You just can't since long pressing the back button does nothing at all :( I don't know what version of Android or S6 the people have that states that this works!?
As I said... This was a very bad decision by Samsung!!! At least they could have made the app-switcher-button configurable so that we who don't use app-switching all the time could choose to keep the menu function... :/

DawnW

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: This is just horrible... Kind of

I agree with the complainers. I used my menu button all the time! And while the primary app I need it on is just a game (that's where I go to "restart" once I lose), it doesn't have the 3 buttons, swiping any direction doesn't do anything, and holding the back button short or long just asks if I want to quit. It was so easy to multitasking by long-holding the home button, to do away with the versatility of the menu button is idiotic.

I wouldn't have upgraded, but with the Lollipop download, my S4 kept saying it was having space issues and I had to delete one or two apps every week... after almost 2 months of this, I had to upgrade because I couldn't get an S4 with more memory and the stuff I used wouldn't save to the memory card, just the hard drive (apps, books in Audible, Android).

Fredrick 801st

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
I found the solution to this problem guys yaayy :)

I have the all new Samsung Galaxy s6 edge plus and I was having the same issue. I hated the fact there is no dedicated menu key on Samsung phones anymore.

But I worked my magic around to find the hidden solution.

All you have to do is simply "press and hold the BACK key" and then magic menu options will appear.

I knew Samsung wouldn't just completely get rid of the so important menu key.

Now just thank me guys for making your life easier :)

This is strange because long pressing the back button opens my dual-window mode. Long pressing menu from the home screens brings up Google now, and long pressing the physical home button gives me the recent apps page.

Strange that it's changed so much considering the back and home buttons haven't changed...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez