My Galaxy S6 doesn't recognize my fingerprints and is asking for a backup password. How can I unlock my phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nawab din

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
My galaxy S6 doesn't recognize my fingerprints and asking for backup password

My galaxy S6 doesn't recognize my fingerprints and asking for backup password. I don't have any backup password. How can I unlock my phone and to set backup password?

titans30dude

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: My galaxy S6 doesn't recognize my fingerprints and asking for backup password

In order to have fingerprint security you had to have set a backup password in order to enable it

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: My galaxy S6 doesn't recognize my fingerprints and asking for backup password

If you forgot the password, Keep trying the fingerprint and review my fingerprint thread for tips.

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

After a few incorrect try on the backup password it'll ask for a login via your Google account.. Try that.

danthman

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

This happened to be today too (except I was able to conjure up my backup password). For the first 10 days or so, I never had the slightest issue with the finger print sensor. Now all of a sudden, it's much more flaky. Did Samsung break something?

mistyisland

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site

i had some trouble about a week ago. I finally got on with Google and a Best Buy Samsung guys' help, but that didn't last, I got locked out again. We had to do a complete factory reset. Write those backup passwords somewhere. (Not in the phone) It also asked me for a numerical password that never worked.

I haven't had any problems since then.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site

Restart the device.

Posted via the Android Central App

Kara_h

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site

The same exact thing is happening to me as well! It was working as expected earlier today but in the past few hours the fingerprint sensor did not accept any ones it knew (I have both myself and my spouse in there in case somebody is incapacitated). It also did not accept my backup password. I have tried resetting it through google several times. It has never taken the changed passwords. Once (it has never given me the option again) I was able to get to a way to get in via my google account. I changed my backup password and then when it needed it again for other security settings it failed to recognize that one as well!

At this point about all I can think of is to go to sprint on Monday. So much for actually using my phone this weekend though.

Any other ideas? If I can get to the way to sign in with google again I could delete my fingerprints.

Joe Creuzer

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site

Believe it has to do with the recent Samsung software updates affecting the fingerprint reader. Happened to me also. Restarted device and still could not get in. After fourth or fifth mistake it comes up with Google account reset.

Thank goodness for that...

Was impressed with the reader until this happened. I will keep it though. If it happens again I will take it off.

sborn2

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site

Mine did this as well. But when I used my backup pw. It said it was wrong. Now I know that wasnt possible considering I use it for everything. It had me log in with Google after about 10 trys. When I logged in with google it had disabled the finger print scanner. I had to re set it up.

Nidwow

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site

Mine did this as well. But when I used my backup pw. It said it was wrong. Now I know that wasnt possible considering I use it for everything. It had me log in with Google after about 10 trys. When I logged in with google it had disabled the finger print scanner. I had to re set it up.

Finally got bit by the bug.

Same here today for the first time. I remembered the backup password, no chance that I can forget it.

Finally recovered with google account, got in. My saved finger print was removed and had to start all over again... well at least I got my phone back before had to call Samsung and perform the magic "wipe" routine.

captivedroid

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

Hi,

I have the edge.

I've been toying with this since I got it this afternoon.

Now I can't access my phone with fingerprint. what's worse--I have SwiftKey on, and the OS won't allow complex function like using # keypad.

My google account has numbers in it, and I can't key it in..

Not only that, I have power-save on... the screen keeps turning off.

I'm screwed.

richv77

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site

This happened to be today too (except I was able to conjure up my backup password). For the first 10 days or so, I never had the slightest issue with the finger print sensor. Now all of a sudden, it's much more flaky. Did Samsung break something?

Me too! This happened to me twice in the last 3 or 4 days. I had to use Google to get access to my phone. I deleted my old finger scans and added new ones. I could swear it didn't recognize my backup password either. I did reset it again yesterday. We'll see if or how soon this happens again.

-Rich

richv77

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site

Hi,

I have the edge.

I've been toying with this since I got it this afternoon.

Now I can't access my phone with fingerprint. what's worse--I have SwiftKey on, and the OS won't allow complex function like using # keypad.

My google account has numbers in it, and I can't key it in..

Not only that, I have power-save on... the screen keeps turning off.

I'm screwed.

My Google password also contains numbers and I am using SwiftKey but I was able to sign in when my finger scan didn't work.

-Rich

Laura Murphy1

May 2, 2015
Visit site

I fixed this! I had this problem, it wouldn't recognise my fingerprint or back up password which was 100%correct, it also failed to recognise my Gmail account. I used a friends phone and logged into samsung find my mobile which has the same Gmail details and worked. From there I could unlock the screen and reset my passwords :)

johnorrin

May 8, 2015
Visit site

Hi,

I have the edge. I don't remember my backup password, and it does not accept my gmail accounts!! I have google authenticator configured on my gmail accounts! I think I'm totally screwed! Is there anyway to unlock my phone? I tried to restart it several times! I tried to unlock it through trusted device which it still requires my fingerprint! (It seems it is a not trusted device at all ha! )

Thanks

Last edited:

av8solo101

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site

I fixed this! I had this problem, it wouldn't recognise my fingerprint or back up password which was 100%correct, it also failed to recognise my Gmail account. I used a friends phone and logged into samsung find my mobile which has the same Gmail details and worked. From there I could unlock the screen and reset my passwords :)

This post could be mine except for the last 3 words. I've tried to reset passwords, tried PIN, Pattern and Fingerprint but as soon as I lock the phone I have to use Samsung FMP to unlock it. I can only use the zero security swipe function. This is so aggravating.

Randall Lind

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site

I give up on my fingerprint.. It would set up fine but from lock screen unable to detect. I set it up 10 times then said screw it.

Gary Brooks II

May 15, 2015
Visit site

You have to use samsung find my mobile. I just had the SAME issue and it will unlock your phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress