Galaxy S6 or Iphone 6+ or LG G4

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Well see, that all depends also.

I'm a big advocate for buying unlocked phones if you're on AT&T, and even T-Mobile too in most cases. But such phones won't come standard with refined firmware for the carriers and won't have VoLTE/HD Voice (and in T-Mobile case, won't have wifi calling). Also only HTC and Motorola do this at this time.

Also, remember that many of the issues with cell standby are due to LTE and wifi bands if I'm not mistaken, something that many in Europe will never have to deal with for a number of reasons.

Posted via the Android Central App
I'm currently in Europe. In paris I had LTE. Battery was terrible. Now I'm in italy with only 3g. Battery is still terrible.

Sent from my Samsung S6 using Tapatalk

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently in Europe. In paris I had LTE. Battery was terrible. Now I'm in italy with only 3g. Battery is still terrible.

Sorry to hear that. Then clearly you have a bad phone. I would definitely return it and get a new one.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Need more information

:)

The G4 is the wild card here.... you can't really base any opinion off the press releases. We'll have to wait and see once LG actually releases the phone and some start to get their hands on them. That being said, I am sure that it will be quite a device.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
...15-20 hours of standby and a solid 4-5 hours (or more) of Screen on Time (SoT) which is just stellar for a phone as slim and light as the S6

This is what I am getting easily. Better when I use battery saving features.

Pros:
Screen size
Battery
Screen itself (gorgeous!)
Very fast
Fingerprint security works very well and incredibly fast
Camera is fast, reliable and the best of any on Android currently (love double tap of home button to open from any where)

Con's:
Customization still really not available using TouchWiz (Samsungs launcher/ui)

It's really just small things like not being able to adjust icon or folder size, stuff like that that bugs me, but that's easily fixed if you want to install a third party launcher like Nova.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I made the switch from iPhone to s6.

Initial thoughts:

Battery has been pretty terrible. I jumped from the iphone 5 while my wife has the iPhone 6. In contrast, my s6 doesn't last nearly as long as either of them. This is the first time where I basically have to constantly monitor the battery life and it's been kind of annoying. This is after tweaks (power saving mode every time I'm out with it, disabling some services, removing widgets, keeping screen brightness down, etc).

My wife had an iPhone 6 and my S6 lasts longer do ymmv works here.

Apps are still a little disappointing on the android side. For example, even major apps like Instagram are a poor comparison vs iOS version.

I believe this, but it has not impacted me.

Apps still come out for iOS first. Is Periscope out yet for android? Another silly but valid example is I keep seeing friends post those weird 3d avatar videos where you can imprint your face in a bunch of bizarre and hilarious situations. It's been blowing up online everywhere. Available for android? Nope.

/cares

Camera overall has been great except auto mode in low light. Samsung thinks just blowing up the brightness makes for a good low light shot. It's kind of terrible and only usable in pro mode.

Disagree. The phone is as good if not better on auto mode than my wife's iPhone 6.

Also confused as to why this phone even has 3gb of ram when it seemingly doesn't add anything to the phone. I lost a huge reply I was typing in tapatalk because I wrongly assumed I could switch to another app to do something first and then jump back here. Instead when I return to tapatalk app, it basically just refreshed the page and I lost everything I was typing. Annoying.

These issues sound like app problems to me, not the phone.

The same happens when you open chrome and have some tabs open. Then you switch to some other apps and multitask then go back to chrome. The tabs will refresh on you! What is this 3gb of ram even doing? I thought android was supposed to have real multitasking compared to IOS?

I had the Chrome issue happen to me at first too and it was frustrating, but after a few days that stopped happening. I couldn't tell you what changed.

Physically the front of the phone is boring and you could hardly tell the difference between it and an s5. The back is nice though. Although my black s6 is more of a really dark blue for some reason.

Phone looks and feels gorgeous if a bit too light.

Overall the phone seems OK but may switch back to iOS depending on what apple brings out in September. If the rumoured near-slr quality dual lens makes it into the iphone 6s/7 then I'm definitely going back.

anon(5061193)

Banned
Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Why do you want to switch? What are you looking for?

I would say that IOS is boring to me. I know it is a great phone and my entire family is on Iphone, but my friends who are on Android seem to love their phones and a re always doing new things. This is strictly a preference issue.. The Iphone 6+ is working great and the battery is good... I am just looking to make a change.. I HATE having the same thing as everyone else!! LOL

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I would say that IOS is boring to me. I know it is a great phone and my entire family is on Iphone, but my friends who are on Android seem to love their phones and a re always doing new things. This is strictly a preference issue.. The Iphone 6+ is working great and the battery is good... I am just looking to make a change.. I HATE having the same thing as everyone else!! LOL

I agree. The devices meet a different need. Not everyone cares about customization and multitasking. Some just like the comfort of taking it out of the box and turning it on.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

Coney718

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
I made the switch from iPhone to s6.

Initial thoughts:

Battery has been pretty terrible. I jumped from the iphone 5 while my wife has the iPhone 6. In contrast, my s6 doesn't last nearly as long as either of them. This is the first time where I basically have to constantly monitor the battery life and it's been kind of annoying. This is after tweaks (power saving mode every time I'm out with it, disabling some services, removing widgets, keeping screen brightness down, etc).

Apps are still a little disappointing on the android side. For example, even major apps like Instagram are a poor comparison vs iOS version.

Apps still come out for iOS first. Is Periscope out yet for android? Another silly but valid example is I keep seeing friends post those weird 3d avatar videos where you can imprint your face in a bunch of bizarre and hilarious situations. It's been blowing up online everywhere. Available for android? Nope.

Camera overall has been great except auto mode in low light. Samsung thinks just blowing up the brightness makes for a good low light shot. It's kind of terrible and only usable in pro mode.

Also confused as to why this phone even has 3gb of ram when it seemingly doesn't add anything to the phone. I lost a huge reply I was typing in tapatalk because I wrongly assumed I could switch to another app to do something first and then jump back here. Instead when I return to tapatalk app, it basically just refreshed the page and I lost everything I was typing. Annoying.

The same happens when you open chrome and have some tabs open. Then you switch to some other apps and multitask then go back to chrome. The tabs will refresh on you! What is this 3gb of ram even doing? I thought android was supposed to have real multitasking compared to IOS?

Physically the front of the phone is boring and you could hardly tell the difference between it and an s5. The back is nice though. Although my black s6 is more of a really dark blue for some reason.

Overall the phone seems OK but may switch back to iOS depending on what apple brings out in September. If the rumoured near-slr quality dual lens makes it into the iphone 6s/7 then I'm definitely going back.

Coming from an iPhone 6 I agree with mostly everything you said. Battery life is about the same for me more of less. I dont have the battery issues with my S6 that others have. I havent had to use a power saving mode yet but its good to know its there.

The part about the apps I totally agree with. Using Instagram again as an example the iOS has the option to tweet or post to FB another persons pic. The Android version doesnt have that option. The iOS twitter app you can tweet video clips from your gallery. The Android version doesnt have that option. The pic app Facetune the iOS version has more features than the android version and the list goes on and on. Obviously these are not important to everyone but its just a few examples of how Android apps are still lacking behind iOS not only in functionality but quality. And like he said some iOS apps are just not available on android at all..yet. This part of converting to android still frustrates me and will any long time iPhone user.

Camera is great on both but i would get the slight edge to the S6. I've taken low light shots with both phone side by side and the S6 is slightly better. Plus its much faster with the double tap to launch feature.

Also agree about the apps refreshing and multitasking. A phone with 3gb of ram shouldn't do this.

I made the switch because I used iPhone for years and was bored with it. Overall I think I made a good decision. The S6 is great..not perfect by any means but a very solid device. Its just adjusting to the Android OS that is nagging me but i'm dealing with it because I like the S6 as a device that much. If it was any other android phone I would've returned it weeks ago.

To the OP I say try it for 14 days..give it a shot. You can always return it if it doesn't fit your needs but its definitely worth a try.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
The iOS twitter app you can tweet video clips from your gallery. The Android version doesnt have that option.

Should be able to share from your gallery to twitter. I don't use twitter, but every service I use is available in the share menu from the gallery. This may just be a difference of how sharing works on Android, i.e. share anything anywhere, doesn't need to be built into an app.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Should be able to share from your gallery to twitter. I don't use twitter, but every service I use is available in the share menu from the gallery. This may just be a difference of how sharing works on Android, i.e. share anything anywhere, doesn't need to be built into an app.

It's not an android thing. It's lazy developers. They will make every excuse in the world including blaming Android. But until people refuse to use the service and proclaim why, some companies won't change.

Coney718

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site

You're right I SHOULD be able to do that but I cant. Still doesnt work

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
You're right I SHOULD be able to do that but I cant. Still doesnt work

It is supposed to. I just went to the play store, it says you can add video. Downloaded twitter, signed up, and went to the gallery and clicked a video, clicked share, and there was a twitter icon. Do you have the latest version?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87