10 Reasons GS6 Is Better Than the G4

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Wait, what? Hardware buttons? As in, you'd rather the buttons were taking up screen real estate?

I don't think that's a valid description, but either way it is stated, yes. Software buttons are customizable - you can change which buttons are there, move them, grow or shrink them, hide or remove them or replace them - they match current design standards and have been the actual design guideline for Android since 2011. Hardware keys on phones I can almost forgive (I won't, but I could if I wanted to) - on tablets it's one of the worst ideas ever. The presence of hardware buttons is a deal breaker for me and means that despite the quality of other aspects, the enthusiasm for a device is completely absent.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I prefer HW buttons on my phone, but they're the worst on a tablet. You can't hold a Note 10.1 in portrait mode or a Note 8.4 in landscape in your left hand without accidentally touching one of the HW buttons. I'm almost forced to use the tablets in one orientation because of it.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
OK. I can't remember the last time I listened to FM radio. XM Sirius satellite radio is the way to go. Pretty sure that there is an app in the Play Store.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

Actually, I listen to NPR on FM in the car all the time, but I have a car radio, so don't need it on the phone. The advantage to FM on the phone though is that it doesn't require data to listen. I guess it could come in handy sometimes, but the use case is pretty weak.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I listen to NPR on FM in the car all the time, but I have a car radio, so don't need it on the phone. The advantage to FM on the phone though is that it doesn't require data to listen. I guess it could come in handy sometimes, but the use case is pretty weak.

Guess it could be useful on TBT.

danthman

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't think that's a valid description, but either way it is stated, yes. Software buttons are customizable - you can change which buttons are there, move them, grow or shrink them, hide or remove them or replace them - they match current design standards and have been the actual design guideline for Android since 2011. Hardware keys on phones I can almost forgive (I won't, but I could if I wanted to) - on tablets it's one of the worst ideas ever. The presence of hardware buttons is a deal breaker for me and means that despite the quality of other aspects, the enthusiasm for a device is completely absent.

This is really interesting to me. Despite soft buttons being the Android standard, I've never owned an Android phone with them. In fact, I've always seen them as a negative because they take up the bottom strip of the screen (making the screen effectively smaller), and they can't be operated by feel. (Also, I haven't seen an implementation of a fingerprint sensor on a phone that didn't have a home button, but I imagine other solutions could be engineered.)

Are there stock Android examples where the home/back/whatever buttons are replaced, turned off individually, resized, etc.? I'm not trying to be a smart ***, just curious whether any apps are actually taking advantage of the theoretical flexibility offered by the soft buttons.

In any case, I honestly can't think of a scenario where being able to return home with a single click of an actual button could possibly be a negative. Same with the "recent apps" button, though to a lesser extent. I could see the back button not making sense in certain situations and disappearing accordingly, but that seems like a small benefit for taking up valuable pixels on the screen. (Also, with the S6, a possible workaround would be to simply not light up the back button if it's not applicable.)

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
My most favoritest Android phone ever was an LG, Nexus 5. I'm not digging the G4 though. That leather is hideous to me. And the plastic versions aren't much better.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Say I'm in Chrome and I hide the navigation buttons. Sorry to sound stupid, but how do I browse around quickly without the back button? How do I flick to my other app then switch back? I'll need to recall the navigation bar which defeats the purpose doesn't it?

The on screen buttons are fine when they disappear but they surely do eat up a lot of space? I like capacitive buttons actually

Mine eat up 4mm of space at the bottom when not in full screen mode. That is very small, and honestly I would rather have usable screen there instead of more bezel space that I cannot get rid of. Of course it's personal preference, but hard to justify calling the screen smaller than it actually is.

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I absolutely love the physical home button, and only "like" the capacitive buttons. I find that sometimes when you go to hold the phone sideways/landscape, you have to hold the phone on the rim and not let your finger/thumb touch one of the capacitive buttons. Not a huge deal, but it does mess me up every once in a while ... and when you hand your phone to someone else to take a pic of you and your wife and/or kids - and that person is not used to those buttons being there - what almost always happens is they look at you and say "uh oh ... I think I messed something up" ... meaning, they probably hit the "back" button and the camera turned off LOL.

That said, the physical fingerprint scanner home button is awesome, and I wouldn't trade it at all. I also think that while those physical buttons take up some room that might have possibly been able to be more screen size/space, or make the phone shorter by eliminating that space, it's a good trade-off for me. I find the S6 to be perfect size (it's just a TINY bit taller than my S4) ... and the screen size is more than adequate for me.

As for cameras, I find that my S4 took pictures that were plenty good enough for me - at least quality wise. The big improvement I would like to see is good optical zoom. That's the biggest hurdle I think smartphones have to overcome, since (from the little I know) that would take a "thicker" lens set or arrangement to get a stronger true optical zoom ... and then we end up with even thicker phone bumps on the back of our phones.

In the end, I will admit that while I love the thinness of the S6, and the quality of the camera, I would have probably been happier with a slightly lesser camera and a thicker phone (with bigger battery) so that the phone was perfectly flat on the back. To ME, that would have been the best thing ever. I love running phones w/out cases, and am "afraid" to run my S6 w/out a case strictly because of the huge camera bump on the back.

The fact that the back of the phone is glass doesn't help that either, but I get the reason - wireless charging. It's just w/ the glass back, and the camera bump, I feel like the phone is going to be too easily knocked around and broken. If it would at least lay flat (like my iPhone 4S did, with a glass back), I would feel MUCH more at ease w/ running the phone w/out a case. I did that for a couple of years and never had an issue with a glass back.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I absolutely love the physical home button, and only "like" the capacitive buttons. I find that sometimes when you go to hold the phone sideways/landscape, you have to hold the phone on the rim and not let your finger/thumb touch one of the capacitive buttons. Not a huge deal, but it does mess me up every once in a while ... and when you hand your phone to someone else to take a pic of you and your wife and/or kids - and that person is not used to those buttons being there - what almost always happens is they look at you and say "uh oh ... I think I messed something up" ... meaning, they probably hit the "back" button and the camera turned off LOL.

That said, the physical fingerprint scanner home button is awesome, and I wouldn't trade it at all. I also think that while those physical buttons take up some room that might have possibly been able to be more screen size/space, or make the phone shorter by eliminating that space, it's a good trade-off for me. I find the S6 to be perfect size (it's just a TINY bit taller than my S4) ... and the screen size is more than adequate for me.

As for cameras, I find that my S4 took pictures that were plenty good enough for me - at least quality wise. The big improvement I would like to see is good optical zoom. That's the biggest hurdle I think smartphones have to overcome, since (from the little I know) that would take a "thicker" lens set or arrangement to get a stronger true optical zoom ... and then we end up with even thicker phone bumps on the back of our phones.

In the end, I will admit that while I love the thinness of the S6, and the quality of the camera, I would have probably been happier with a slightly lesser camera and a thicker phone (with bigger battery) so that the phone was perfectly flat on the back. To ME, that would have been the best thing ever. I love running phones w/out cases, and am "afraid" to run my S6 w/out a case strictly because of the huge camera bump on the back.

The fact that the back of the phone is glass doesn't help that either, but I get the reason - wireless charging. It's just w/ the glass back, and the camera bump, I feel like the phone is going to be too easily knocked around and broken. If it would at least lay flat (like my iPhone 4S did, with a glass back), I would feel MUCH more at ease w/ running the phone w/out a case. I did that for a couple of years and never had an issue with a glass back.

Agree with everything you said

Posted via the Android Central App

alkezi

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Wow gs6 wins in lg g3 in battery life. It was unfortunate that gs6 doesnt beat its older brother galaxy s5 in this department...

Posted via the Android Central App

katmandoo122

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
It's a phone with a camera not other way around. The GS6 camera is as good as high end point and shoot. Do you really need more on an average day? To get SLR quality, we need bigger, thicker phones that cost way more than now, subsidized or full retail.

Bolded part: Not true, in my opinion. I'd guess that within two years, phone cameras (on high end, flag ship models) will be indistinguishable from DSLRs when it comes to the finished, pre-post-work photos. However, SLRs will still have better quality due to their lenses, which is an areas with which phones will never be able to compete.

Point and shoot cameras are pretty much dead. I don't know why anyone would have one unless they simply cannot afford a modern smartphone. DSLRs are going to be niche markets for professional, prosumers, and soccer mom's that don't know they can get 94% of what they need from their iPhone 8S (because in my biased opinions, soccer moms buy iPhones and Nikons).

Side note: If the G4 had a fingerprint scanner, it would have been my choice.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
These results are at odds with many, many other reviews. Take them with a large grain of salt.

It's interesting how different some of these battery reports are. It's important to note that the US model actually took a step back in battery size to 2900 mah and isn't being tested by these reviewers as it pertains to the G4. Although 100 mah isn't a huge difference, it will affect the total life you get out of the G4.

In my opinion, with both phones running 5.1 or 5.1.1, the S6/Edge will probably be pretty close to the G4 in battery life, either better or worse in some scenarios. With the G4, you get a removable battery and no quick charging. With the S6, you get adaptive fast charging and no removable battery. For me? Give me the S6 over the G4 in this category. I can charge my phone for 20 minutes a day if I'm running low and not have to worry about it. I can also charge wirelessly out of the box. I don't feel I should have to spend $30-50 for a spare battery/spare battery charger and the same for a wireless charging back to compensate.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa