if you can change one thing about the S6 ...

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Only one...? I have two. My main request would be to have To offer more customization at a more granular level (Nova style). Number 2 would be Front firing speakers with more bass.

Posted via the Android Central App

People complained about the customization at the granular level cause it added to much bloat and sluggishness. That's why they slimmed it down.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Either front facing speakers or at least a better quality bottom speaker. I'm not expecting miracles, and really the amount of time front facing speakers got used on my M8 is pretty small, but there are times when the ringtones that came with phone sound shrill and distorted when at full volume. BoomSound on my M8 may have spoiled me a bit, but the speaker still makes me cringe sometimes.

Barring that moving the damn back button to the left. I hit the wrong button all the time.

cellomj

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
Give me Google Now voice commands from any screen and with the screen off a la Moto X. Substitute that for S Voice.

atishc

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
The hardware is nearly perfect for me - I love the size and shape, look and feel. Camera and display are great, and I can easily live without an SD card slot (though loss of waterproofing makes me sad).

What I would change about the S6 is not so much battery size but battery efficiency/resource utilization. This is an ecosystem problem with Android with manufacturer customizations. The fact that there are multiple redundant apps and services continuously running is wasteful and confusing to new users. I don't like that apps that I only occasionally use can run in the background and use battery and data, and the bugs in the system software that are leading people to have abnormal drain are not good for Samsung or Android. I know enough about these issues to be smart about how I set things up for my own purposes, but there are still days on my S6 and my previous phone when battery would suddenly be terrible for no obvious reason (often with an increase in battery used by Google Play Services). This is frustrating and leads to unnecessary anxiety when on most days everything works great. Google wants every piece of information about you at every moment of the day (WiFi always scanning even when off? GPS-based location history always running?), so Samsung needs to think about how to set up software on its devices for a more optimal experience out of the box.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The hardware is nearly perfect for me - I love the size and shape, look and feel. Camera and display are great, and I can easily live without an SD card slot (though loss of waterproofing makes me sad).

What I would change about the S6 is not so much battery size but battery efficiency/resource utilization. This is an ecosystem problem with Android with manufacturer customizations. The fact that there are multiple redundant apps and services continuously running is wasteful and confusing to new users. I don't like that apps that I only occasionally use can run in the background and use battery and data, and the bugs in the system software that are leading people to have abnormal drain are not good for Samsung or Android. I know enough about these issues to be smart about how I set things up for my own purposes, but there are still days on my S6 and my previous phone when battery would suddenly be terrible for no obvious reason (often with an increase in battery used by Google Play Services). This is frustrating and leads to unnecessary anxiety when on most days everything works great. Google wants every piece of information about you at every moment of the day (WiFi always scanning even when off? GPS-based location history always running?), so Samsung needs to think about how to set up software on its devices for a more optimal experience out of the box.

You can restrict background data and turn location off.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
People, turn off Google fit. It's on by default and since I turned it off, I got a nice little battery boost. Nothing really to brag about but it helps.

atishc

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
You can restrict background data and turn location off.

Yes, but then weather widgets, and Yelp, and location based searches ("nearby") and other things don't work. When GPS is left on, battery drains incredibly fast even without my using my phone because of background processes, so I leave it off and have to turn it back on every time I navigate (which is usually in my car, which is not the most convenient time to toggle switches requiring a long press.) My wife just leaves Bluetooth and GPS on all day on her iPhone and this causes very little background drain. I deal with it because honestly I enjoy using and tweaking and personalizing my phone, but these are the types of things Google and Samsung need to work on for the "simplicity" crowd.