Samsung s6 completely died

Leslie Hatcher

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else have an s6 that just randomly died? Mine was working, I laid it down for 5 minutes, then came back and there was no power coming to it at all. Battery was charged, it showed no signs of any problems. I tried powering on and off and there was no reaction at all. Tried to plug it into 2 different chargers, and it did not even show it was plugged in. Called Verizon and they are sending my new device tomorrow. This is so frustrating and random!

Posted via the Android Central App

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear that but there's always a bad apple in the bunch. I hope you have much better luck with the new unit

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else have an s6 that just randomly died? Mine was working, I laid it down for 5 minutes, then came back and there was no power coming to it at all. Battery was charged, it showed no signs of any problems. I tried powering on and off and there was no reaction at all. Tried to plug it into 2 different chargers, and it did not even show it was plugged in. Called Verizon and they are sending my new device tomorrow. This is so frustrating and random!

Luckily, I haven't experienced that issue but I'm sorry to hear you did. Hopefully when the replacement phone comes, it won't have the same issue.

J

Leslie Hatcher

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
This was just completely out of nowhere. The device didn't get hot, turn off in normal shut down mode, nothing. What are the odds I may have picked up a virus? I had an app that kept popping up ads that sent me to the play store to get me to install random games. No ads in the notification bar, though.

captfbgnet

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
You probably did the right thing by ordering a replacement. But for grins, try to press and hold the Power and Volume Down buttons for more than 10 seconds until the phone turns off and/or if there is any response at all.. This will “soft reset” the phone and it is effective when it comes to minor firmware and hardware glitches. I really don’t know what happened to the phone but there are always units that have problems out of the box.

Leslie Hatcher

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I never dropped it, never had water damage, nothing. It just died. In the middle of the night, I tried turning it on and nothing happened. A few minutes ago I tried turning it on and it started showing 0% battery, which is crazy bc at 9 pm last night when it was working it was charged at 95%. I plugged it into the fast charger and got it to turn on. I was able to at least back up everything to Verizon Cloud. I also deleted several apps that I know had pop up ads on it, just to see if that helps. While it is charging, it is hot on the back and the charger is hot. Still going to replace it, I am too afraid to take any chances.

kioko91

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
This was just completely out of nowhere. The device didn't get hot, turn off in normal shut down mode, nothing. What are the odds I may have picked up a virus? I had an app that kept popping up ads that sent me to the play store to get me to install random games. No ads in the notification bar, though.

My mom has the same ad issue. Any idea which app caused that?

Leslie Hatcher

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Don't know how TMO coverage is in your area but they are offering to cover ETF up,to $650 and a free phone to change carriers. That might be an option for you in addition to doing an exchange as soon as possible. It definitely sounds like you got a lemon.

deeb215

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Neither of these will scan without force stopping. I cannot figure out where this random actions is coming from. I deleted several games that had ads in them, but it is still doing it!

I'd try a hard reset and if that doesn't work exchanging the phone will for sure. Do not restore any old data when you set up the phone up after you reset.

InVez

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem with another S6. It just died suddenly. I did put every thing in the box but after 1 day i wanted to test everything. I tried button combinations, i shaked the Phone but nothing helped. I holded the power button for 4 or 5 minutes and i couldnt belief my eyes, the phone booted. Weird but true. I changed that S6 for another one.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Mine just did this. I am so angry !

All things being equal, this does not qualify as normal device behavior. It's great to try this but I would still exchange it. If it happens again, it could be at a really inopportune time.

Leslie Hatcher

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Try to hold power button + the volume down for 7 seconds or more.

Let us know what happens

This did not help mine at all. Mine would not react to anything. It was completely fried. Then after putting it on charge and checking it the next day, it somehow began working again. I had already ordered a new one, so I continued with my exchange. Def not normal behaivor.

Eric Thomas4

May 16, 2015
Visit site
I bought the phone yesterday by ebay unlocked so I have no warranty.
It does the same F thing ! It just dies after 5 minutes you leave it in the table without using it.
PLEASE HELP ME
I ve just switched from an Iphone 6 Plus, I want to kill myself.
If I get to fix it I am going to sell it right away, what other Android phone do you recomend?

It works sometimes and then it crashes again and it doesnt work.

Last edited by a moderator:

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Sorry this has happened to you. I always buy from a carrier or an authorized dealer. Full warranty and I get insurance so that exchange or replacement aren't an issue.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
It works sometimes and then it crashes again and it doesnt work.

So it's not that it doesn't work it's that it crashes? Was it brand new or used?

Try doing a factory reset, turn it off, and press and hold power, Volume up and Home buttons until you see the Android robot and the message that it's updating and then release the buttons, if you don't want to lose all your data and settings you may try the Wipe Cache Partition in that menu first to see if it works if not go back and do the Wipe Data/Factory reset.

Obviously before you do the Factory Reset, do a Full backup using Samsung Smart Switch (Look for the threads here or look for the apps on Google) so at least you can restore some of your actual settings and apps.

If none of the above fixes your issues I'd definitely contact the seller and let him know about the issue today, even if it was purchased on eBay the seller should have some warranty or returned period, if not, contact eBay and ask for a refund., then get one locally or if you still want the Unlocked, look for another seller, don't get discouraged by faulty devices, it can happens to all of us. With millions of does sold, there will be always some defective ones.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I bought the phone yesterday by ebay unlocked so I have no warranty.
It does the same F thing ! It just dies after 5 minutes you leave it in the table without using it.
PLEASE HELP ME
I ve just switched from an Iphone 6 Plus, I want to kill myself.
If I get to fix it I am going to sell it right away, what other Android phone do you recomend?
If you just bought it yesterday, file a claim on ebay for "not as described", as the seller never disclosed this condition to you. You should get a full refund. Then buy from the carrier or other authorized source so you have warranty in tact.

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zalauf