I tried an HTC M9 and I liked it!

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
I went to the phone store today to take a look at the HTC M9. The only HTC I owned was the HTC One X which I loved back in the day. Great build quality, I remember Sense being impressive and professional and it had a terrific battery.

Anyway, besides a really sharp looking Sense 7, the most impressive thing to me about the M9 was the incredible responsiveness of the phone. No lag at all. Man did the menus come up fast and respond instantly.

The phone was hot as can be so not sure if it was because it was a Demo unit or if it was the dreaded Snapdragon 810 that Samsung abandoned during development of the S6. The S6 clearly has way more hardware features but it seems to me that Samsung still has a long way to go to optimize TouchWiz.

I was ok with TouchWiz until playing with Sense today and now, I have to admit, I'm a tad jealous!

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I went to the phone store today to take a look at the HTC M9. The only HTC I owned was the HTC One X which I loved back in the day. Great build quality, I remember Sense being impressive and professional and it had a terrific battery.

Anyway, besides a really sharp looking Sense 7, the most impressive thing to me about the M9 was the incredible responsiveness of the phone. No lag at all. Man did the menus come up fast and respond instantly.

The phone was hot as can be so not sure if it was because it was a Demo unit or if it was the dreaded Snapdragon 810 that Samsung abandoned during development of the S6. The S6 clearly has way more hardware features but it seems to me that Samsung still has a long way to go to optimize TouchWiz.

I was ok with TouchWiz until playing with Sense today and now, I have to admit, I'm a tad jealous!

Everyone start singing the new Katy Perry song....

Tried an M9 and I liked it....

:)

Posted via the Android Central App

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
If your current S6 is lagging that you notice the difference with the m9, then your S6 is broken. I have the m8 and is no faster than the S6. Touchwiz has improved so much. I didn't even change the transition settings.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
If your current S6 is lagging that you notice the difference with the m9, then your S6 is broken. I have the m8 and is no faster than the S6. Touchwiz has improved so much. I didn't even change the transition settings.

Yeah same here. Didn't even bother!

Zoostation

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Honestly, me too. The M7/8/9 have great hardware, and Sense isn't bad. The cameras though..... ug.

Posted via my Galaxy Tab S 8.4" running IronROM v2.x

As a former HTC user, I would consider them again if the camera (ois is a must have) improves and I would like to see a 2K screen. Even though it's not a huge difference I can tell. My DNA never got past sense 5.5 on kit Kat but it was still a solid UI.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

I had the M9 for a week before I got my S6 and I liked it. It did NOT get hot like some reports state. The reason I returned it (and the only reason, I assure you) was that the camera really sucked. The photos were too dark and there was no optical image stabilization. Otherwise it was a truly remarkable phone.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
If it wasn't for its camera, I'd be all over the M9.
Yeah same here. Much prefer Sense UI over TW and I dont even bother putting a launcher over Sense whereas I find it mandatory for the S6. But the camera on the S6 is just too much better than that of the M9. Shame.

I think I like everything about the One M8 more than the S6 except for the camera. Build, design, feel, screens are a wash to me I'm happy with either, battery on the M8 was better, performance on the M8 was better, speakers was blowout win for M8, I prefer on-screen buttons etc, but the camera is just so much better on the S6.

I've only used the M9 for a short period of time and it's much like the M8 just with slightly improved software. Still felt speedy and the UI was very clean.

Maybe with the M10 HTC will stop screwing around and put in a superb camera with great image processing software.

Sent from my SM-G920I

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
If they do that (plus optical image stabilization) then I'll purchase the device in a heartbeat.
I'll be in line right behind you.

The One just feels more professional and better designed on both hardware and software to me. The S6 excels with all the bells and whistles and a multitude of features, but I feel it lacks the overall cohesive experience that HTC creates, bar the camera of course.

If they fix that, day 1 purchase for me.

Sent from my SM-G920I

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
As much as I'm moving the S6, if the M9 had the same camera as the S6 I would have purchased the M9.

dreaming of electric sheep

jcdub

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
As much as I'm moving the S6, if the M9 had the same camera as the S6 I would have purchased the M9.

I do miss sense. As great as the S6 is, I just think TW is not as fluid as sense. I've been a HTC fan for about 6 years solid, but the M9 was to small a step in terms of design, camera and throw in the fact it's using the dreaded 810 I just couldn't justify upgrading to it. HTC didn't even include a Quick Charger with it!
I heard they are releasing another flagship by the end of the year because the M9 turned out to be such a flop.
The M10 should have a fingerprint sensor, a way better camera, fast charge / wireless charging as standard and a way better chip set.

Last edited:

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
I do miss sense. As great as the S6 is, I just think TW is not as fluid as sense. I've been a HTC fan for about 6 years solid, but the M9 was to small a step in terms of design, camera and throw in the fact it's using the dreaded 810 I just couldn't justify upgrading to it. HTC didn't even include a Quick Charger with it!
I heard they are releasing another flagship by the end of the year because the M9 turned out to be such a flop.
The M10 should have a fingerprint sensor, a way better camera, fast charge / wireless charging as standard and a way better chip set.

Yeh I agree, the M9 just didn't cut it this year. I picked up my M7 yesterday and the design of the phone is just unbelievable and Sense was smooth consistent cohesive and so suave, and that's a two year old phone. Its a shame that HTC havent quiet figured out the camera component, hopefully they will get it right for the M10.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
My buddy has an M8 and based on the reviews, M9 is a slight upgrade (if that). It's OK, nothing to go nuts about...ya Sense is very smooth, I'll give it that. But the bad camera, unnecessary extremely long design (boom sound is no big deal breaker for me) and lack of finger print scanner make the S6 a better fit for me.