tools
    i suffer no hardships doing this -

Battery Tips for Android

1. Toggle off High Accuracy GPS Mode, Bluetooth, NFC,
    Hotspot/Tethering. Toggle on only as needed. (Set GPS Mode to "Battery
    Saving" Mode).
    2. Display Brightness - Turn off Auto Brightness and Reduce Setting
    Bar to Minimum Acceptable to you.
    3. Sign out of any unused Google Services like G+, Google Now, Hangouts, etc.
    4. Disable Location Reporting and Location History.
    5. Beware of constantly syncing in background Apps and Bloatware like
    Facebook, Twitter, Weather Channel, Games, Google News/Weather,
    Non-Push Email, etc. Set Sync interval for every 1 hour or more and
    change settings to stop the syncing of data you don't need. Delete
    their Apps and use their Web Page if acceptable.
    6. Turn Off Hot Word "Hotword Detection" Always Listening Mode in
    Google Search if you don't use it.
    7. Turn Off Auto Camera/Photo Upload or at least set it for Upload on WIFI Only.
    8. Turn Off Vibrate on Touch for Display, Keyboard, etc.
    9. Turn Off Touch Sounds and Unlock Sounds.
    10. Turn Off Ambient Display/Active Display Notifications if you don't need it.
    11. Don't use a Live Wallpaper. Use a dark wallpaper if possible.
    12. Set Display Sleep Setting to 2 Minutes or Less.
    13. WIFI Settings - Advanced -
    a. Network Notification - Set as OFF.
    b. Scanning Always Available - Set as OFF.
    c. Keep WIFI on during Sleep - Set as ALWAYS if you regularly use
    WIFI. OK to keep WIFI on if you regularly use it.
    14. Turn Off Always Vibrate in Gmail/Email.
    15. Be careful of using too many Live Widgets and what/how often they sync.
    16. Set MS Exchange Sync at 30 Days or Less if you use it.
    17. Do NOT use a Task Killer App or Battery Saver App.
    18. Uninstall ALL Apps that you never use. If you haven't used an
    App in one month, uninstall it.
    19. Reboot your phone at least once a month.
    20. Wipe Cache Partition at least once a quarter or after every OS Update.
    21. Consider a Factory Data Reset with a manual re-sync, manual
    reinstall of all data and Apps after every major OS Letter Update.
    Make sure that all of your data is first backed up to Google and
    Dropbox, etc.

"I SUFFER NO HARDSHIPS DOING THIS" - this means that i personally am
    giving up NOTHING with these tips. i'm not giving up any features.
    there are no tradeoffs for me. a tradeoff or a hardship would be to
    turn off PUSH email or use AIRPLANE mode during the day etc.

you have to find your own balance and the tips list is a start but you
    must come to your own conclusion as to what's important. it's personal
    preference but these are not a big deal to me at all as they do not
    affect the function or operation of my phone. these tips do not
    deteriorate my experience.

you don't HAVE TO do anything. the point is you if you want to
    MAXIMIZE battery life you can turn things off that you aren't using.
    it only makes sense. there is a FINITE amount of juice in ANY
    battery. you choose how you want to spend that juice. by default most
    of these devices have every feature set as ON whether you use them or
    not. i prefer to change the settings in my phone to only use those
    features that i personally use and need so i can maximize battery
    life. i don't leave all the lights and TVs on in my house 24/7 - i
    turn them on when i need them. i'm not giving anything up. my phone
    does everything exactly like i want it to. i'm not missing out on
    anything. it's no hardship for me. it's life. life is a delicate
    balance. it's up to you to find that balance.

5-20-15
    And this is why Apple is selling so many iPhones. You know how many of these I have to do on my iPhone 6 Plus to get spectacular battery life? None. I do almost all of these on my S6 (disabling some of Android's best features) and still can barely make it a day. And, even disabling all of this I have battery anxiety from the moment I pull my S6 off my charger in the morning if I know it will be a long day away from a power outlet.
    05-28-2015 09:48 AM
    And this is why Apple is selling so many iPhones. You know how many of these I have to do on my iPhone 6 Plus to get spectacular battery life? None. I do almost all of these on my S6 (disabling some of Android's best features) and still can barely make it a day. And, even disabling all of this I have battery anxiety from the moment I pull my S6 off my charger in the morning if I know it will be a long day away from a power outlet.
    nope. the same laws of physics apply to iPhone. this is the master list. it looks like a lot more than it is - basically turn off what you're not using if you want to maximize battery life. it's a tradeoff. you pick and choose what works for you.
    deeb215 and BioFanatic like this.
    05-28-2015 09:58 AM
    nope. the same laws of physics apply to iPhone. this is the master list. it looks like a lot more than it is - basically turn off what you're not using if you want to maximize battery life. it's a tradeoff. you pick and choose what works for you.
    Physics is physics ... however, sometimes it seems that people overlook the fact that most users take the phone out of the box, add their relevant accounts to the phone, install the apps they want to use, and never look at the settings again. Given that as about as much a fact as a fact can be, the iPhone has most all that sort of stuff turned on from day one, and gets left on by most users ... and they, by and large, are not worried about making it through the day on a single charge of the phone. Conversely, those of us on our S6 have the "micro manage" these settings ... turning them on/off depending on what we want/need the phone to do at a given point in time during the day ... and still hope to make it through the day on a single charge.

There's a lot of merit in stepping back from the minutia of the problem, and just realizing that the apple phones have longer battery life during the day than our S6's do. It really doesn't matter why. I know that might sound silly, but it's true.

Apple, aside from constantly striving to create beautiful hardware, has also concentrated on making their phones as "user friendly" as possible. I think we here - the chosen few - forget a lot of times that most users of smart phones are NOT like us. Most are more than content to take the phone out of the box, and just use it however it is presented to them. That, to me ... is why apple sells so many phones. You effectively do not have to know jack-squat about settings, battery life, etc to get good use out of your iphone. You have to give Apple credit for that, don't you?

My parents, as well as my brothers are all perfect examples of the above. They couldn't care if they can put a widget on their home screen ... or that their app icons auto-arrange ... or that there's no app drawer ... or that they can't plug their phone into a pc and drag/drop files. They are MORE than happy that all they have to do is turn it on, install some apps they like, and then use them, period. They never turn GPS on/off ... or turn bluetooth off ... or toggle wifi on/off ... or have to worry about stuff like smart-wifi-switch ... etc. To be honest, I bet they don't even know where those settings are LOL.

I don't mean to rant, or to support Apple, or to bash our S6's. I'm just being as objective as I can about the situation ... and that the iPhones are most definitely more efficient with battery life during the day. It doesn't matter why, not one bit. Fact is, they are.
    05-28-2015 10:13 AM
    Delete
    05-28-2015 10:40 AM
    i suffer no hardships doing this -

Battery Tips for Android

1. Toggle off High Accuracy GPS Mode, Bluetooth, NFC,
    Hotspot/Tethering. Toggle on only as needed. (Set GPS Mode to "Battery
    Saving" Mode).
    2. Display Brightness - Turn off Auto Brightness and Reduce Setting
    Bar to Minimum Acceptable to you.
    3. Sign out of any unused Google Services like G+, Google Now, Hangouts, etc.
    4. Disable Location Reporting and Location History.
    5. Beware of constantly syncing in background Apps and Bloatware like
    Facebook, Twitter, Weather Channel, Games, Google News/Weather,
    Non-Push Email, etc. Set Sync interval for every 1 hour or more and
    change settings to stop the syncing of data you don't need. Delete
    their Apps and use their Web Page if acceptable.
    6. Turn Off Hot Word "Hotword Detection" Always Listening Mode in
    Google Search if you don't use it.
    7. Turn Off Auto Camera/Photo Upload or at least set it for Upload on WIFI Only.
    8. Turn Off Vibrate on Touch for Display, Keyboard, etc.
    9. Turn Off Touch Sounds and Unlock Sounds.
    10. Turn Off Ambient Display/Active Display Notifications if you don't need it.
    11. Don't use a Live Wallpaper. Use a dark wallpaper if possible.
    12. Set Display Sleep Setting to 2 Minutes or Less.
    13. WIFI Settings - Advanced -
    a. Network Notification - Set as OFF.
    b. Scanning Always Available - Set as OFF.
    c. Keep WIFI on during Sleep - Set as ALWAYS if you regularly use
    WIFI. OK to keep WIFI on if you regularly use it.
    14. Turn Off Always Vibrate in Gmail/Email.
    15. Be careful of using too many Live Widgets and what/how often they sync.
    16. Set MS Exchange Sync at 30 Days or Less if you use it.
    17. Do NOT use a Task Killer App or Battery Saver App.
    18. Uninstall ALL Apps that you never use. If you haven't used an
    App in one month, uninstall it.
    19. Reboot your phone at least once a month.
    20. Wipe Cache Partition at least once a quarter or after every OS Update.
    21. Consider a Factory Data Reset with a manual re-sync, manual
    reinstall of all data and Apps after every major OS Letter Update.
    Make sure that all of your data is first backed up to Google and
    Dropbox, etc.

"I SUFFER NO HARDSHIPS DOING THIS" - this means that i personally am
    giving up NOTHING with these tips. i'm not giving up any features.
    there are no tradeoffs for me. a tradeoff or a hardship would be to
    turn off PUSH email or use AIRPLANE mode during the day etc.

you have to find your own balance and the tips list is a start but you
    must come to your own conclusion as to what's important. it's personal
    preference but these are not a big deal to me at all as they do not
    affect the function or operation of my phone. these tips do not
    deteriorate my experience.

you don't HAVE TO do anything. the point is you if you want to
    MAXIMIZE battery life you can turn things off that you aren't using.
    it only makes sense. there is a FINITE amount of juice in ANY
    battery. you choose how you want to spend that juice. by default most
    of these devices have every feature set as ON whether you use them or
    not. i prefer to change the settings in my phone to only use those
    features that i personally use and need so i can maximize battery
    life. i don't leave all the lights and TVs on in my house 24/7 - i
    turn them on when i need them. i'm not giving anything up. my phone
    does everything exactly like i want it to. i'm not missing out on
    anything. it's no hardship for me. it's life. life is a delicate
    balance. it's up to you to find that balance.

5-20-15
    Thanks for this list. While not everybody would agree that this tactic is the ideal way to save battery, as it should be correct right out of the box. It is a choice people can make on their own device.
    deeb215 likes this.
    05-28-2015 10:42 AM
    Quick aside: does it hurt the phone/battery to keep it always topped off at or near 100%?

With Wireless chargers at home and work and a car charger it's so easy to do, just makes me wonder.

Not that I need to constantly be charging as I easily last 15 hours with 4 hours SOT and still have 30% battery at 11pm... On a single over night charge.

Posted via the Android Central App
    BioFanatic likes this.
    05-28-2015 10:53 AM
    iphone 6 plus has a bigger battery so dont compare and stop being a little cry baby saying i have battery anxiety..... The S6 has 2 power saving modes bro if your really that uptight trying to milk the last 10% of battery bet your iphone 6 plus cant do that.
    neiljay6 likes this.
    05-28-2015 11:24 AM
    iphone 6 plus has a bigger battery so dont compare and stop being a little cry baby saying i have battery anxiety..... The S6 has 2 power saving modes bro if your really that uptight trying to milk the last 10% of battery bet your iphone 6 plus cant do that.
    Agreed. Any phablet worth is salt should have better battery life than a normal sized phone. A more fair comparison to the 6 plus would be the note 4.
    05-28-2015 11:28 AM
    Quick aside: does it hurt the phone/battery to keep it always topped off at or near 100%?

With Wireless chargers at home and work and a car charger it's so easy to do, just makes me wonder.

Not that I need to constantly be charging as I easily last 15 hours with 4 hours SOT and still have 30% battery at 11pm... On a single over night charge.

Probably for the good of your battery in the long run just plop it for a few minutes before you leave work. It's so tempting having the pad there though I know. I had to sit my microfiber cloth on my desk pad to stop using it just because it's there.
    05-28-2015 11:29 AM

How To Take Care of Your Smartphone Battery the Right Way
    deeb215 likes this.
    05-28-2015 11:32 AM
    Good article Gekko, thx.

05-28-2015 12:44 PM
    In general I think those saying the iphone has better battery life than the S6 are either comparing the S6 to the iphone 6 plus (which as others have said is not a fair comparison) or just speaking about their general impressions, without really knowing. My general impression is that the S6 and iphone 6 are about the same (but I don't really know because I've not done a scientific side-by-side comparison). If I google "galaxy s6 vs iphone 6 battery life", most of the comparisons rate the galaxy s6 battery life as better. In general, the comparisons that don't rate the s6 as better, rate them as about the same.

Everyone's usage patterns are different and therefore will lead to different results with respect to battery life.
    neiljay6 and Zoostation like this.
    05-28-2015 02:15 PM
    Believe it or not, the iPhone 6 Plus battery is within 10% of the S6 edge (2915mAh vs. 2600mAh) so, yes, they are comparable and should be compared. The iPhone 6 (not plus) battery is far smaller than the S6 at only 1810mAh (it's not even in the same vicinity) and somehow still manages to keep even with or exceed the S6's battery life. Apple (while falling short in some areas) is clearly doing something right on battery life and the lack of any need for user battery management.

Either of the iPhones can last a full day in real world usage. My S6 sometimes does not and other times barely makes it. I find myself needing a charge pretty badly around 4-5pm. I've had it for 2 months now and have many services/features shut down. Read Phil Nickenson's article on his S6 vs. the LG G4 in which he, and the other Android Central guys, all had the same (not full day) battery life experience with their S6's.

Why I'd buy the LG G4 over the Galaxy S6 | Android Central
    iDrizzy likes this.
    05-28-2015 02:32 PM
    Maybe I missed the post but What carrier was the OP on? I'm on Verizon and in truly thankful I don't have these battery issues. I keep Wifi off when I'm not using it and that seems to significantly give me an enormous amount if stand by time. I don't have FB and a million other apps running in my background either though. Sometimes people have so many things running on their phone and they forget its a cellphone with a small battery and not a laptop. It's going to take a hit. I use AMOLED display and keep most if my features on and I survive a 9 hour work day and get home with my phone at 40% with moderate use. I'd back up my phone, do a hard reset and see if it gets better, if not call your carrier and tell them you're extremely displeased and would like to exchange devices. Try and work your magic, they always want a happy customer

Galaxy S6 Gang
    05-28-2015 03:00 PM
    Believe it or not, the iPhone 6 Plus battery is within 10% of the S6 edge (2915mAh vs. 2600mAh) so, yes, they are comparable and should be compared. The iPhone 6 (not plus) battery is far smaller than the S6 at only 1810mAh (it's not even in the same vicinity) and somehow still manages to keep even with or exceed the S6's battery life. Apple (while falling short in some areas) is clearly doing something right on battery life and the lack of any need for user battery management.

Either of the iPhones can last a full day in real world usage. My S6 sometimes does not and other times barely makes it. I find myself needing a charge pretty badly around 4-5pm. I've had it for 2 months now and have many services/features shut down. Read Phil Nickenson's article on his S6 vs. the LG G4 in which he, and the other Android Central guys, all had the same (not full day) battery life experience with their S6's.
    Why I'd buy the LG G4 over the Galaxy S6 | Android Central
    LOL. Don't know about the 6plus. But you are flat out wrong there about the I phone6. My sister who owns a phone6 frequently complains about the poor battery life of her phone. When I go to pick her up from work her phone is dead or almost close to it while my s6 still has between 35-45% battery left. Now. Admittedly she is on social media more than I am. But I also play more games than she does.
    05-28-2015 03:23 PM
    I have been fighting my s6 for a couple weeks. Tried everything and just couldn't get the battery life under control. I would unplug it when I would wake up and by the time I had showered, eaten breakfast and was pulling out of my driveway I would be in the 85%-89% range already. Without charging I would be less than 20% by 2:00 with my normal usage.

Finally last night I decided to just do a factory reset and bite the bullet on having to set up everything again. As I type this at 4:45, I am at 62% and have used the phone a similar amount as I do most days. All of my settings are the same today as they were yesterday.

This is similar or maybe a little better than the iPhone 6 I got rid of for the s6. I could easily get a fully day out of my ip6 with it usually around 30% when I would plug it in at night. I can't explain what a relief it is to finally have a phone that I don't have to live in fear of running out of battery.

tlrd: Do a factory reset and hope you get similar results.
    05-28-2015 03:54 PM
    Last night I did a factory reset and it didn't really do any good for me but it's not that big a deal. I've had the S6 since the weekend and have been averaging less than 2 hours SOT by the time the battery gets to about 30%. I think it has a lot to do with the way I use the phone, I basically just check financial data throughout the day and read some emails or check some message boards. I have a screen off app so I kill the screen as soon as I'm done using the phone always.

Last night after I did the factory update I was using the phone constantly for about 2 hours while I updated apps and played w/ settings and I had SOT of about 2 hrs 20 min and the batter only went down to about 70%. So it seems the phone rather stay on rather than constantly being turned on/off for 1-2 min bursts throughout the day. It's not that big a deal since at work I'm always at my desk near a charger if needed, at home I have a charger, and my commutes are less than 30 minutes either way.

Right now my SOT is 52 min and I'm already at 65%. I like the S6 enough that I'm not going to make a big deal over this. Hopefully some software updates in the future improve battery usage/efficiency.
    05-28-2015 05:26 PM
    What do you use for screen off?
    05-28-2015 05:58 PM
    Maybe I missed the post but What carrier was the OP on? I'm on Verizon and in truly thankful I don't have these battery issues. I keep Wifi off when I'm not using it and that seems to significantly give me an enormous amount if stand by time. I don't have FB and a million other apps running in my background either though. Sometimes people have so many things running on their phone and they forget its a cellphone with a small battery and not a laptop. It's going to take a hit. I use AMOLED display and keep most if my features on and I survive a 9 hour work day and get home with my phone at 40% with moderate use. I'd back up my phone, do a hard reset and see if it gets better, if not call your carrier and tell them you're extremely displeased and would like to exchange devices. Try and work your magic, they always want a happy customer

Galaxy S6 Gang
    Technically if you do the math, neither the 2600 mah S6 edge or 2550 mah regular S6 are within 10% of 2915. Another question I have, is should we be comparing the S6 to the iPhone 6 + or the iPhone 6? I don't know that there is a clear cut answer to that, but based on a combination of what I'm reading online and what I see from friends and coworkers, the 6+ has better battery life than the S6, but the regular iPhone 6 has worse.

neiljay6 likes this.
    05-28-2015 06:21 PM
    What do you use for screen off?
    It's called screen off by Katecca. Been using if for a few years now and it works like a charm.
    deeb215 likes this.
    05-28-2015 06:30 PM
    Hi guys this is my first post here so please forgive me for any mistakes.

I have a white Samsung galaxy s6 32 gb and I have had it for around 2-3 weeks now and I have slight concerns about the battery life of this phone. I get around 2.5-3 SoT and that is after switching off all the unwanted settings, disabling all the unwanted apps, reducing screen brightness etc.

I have also tried pixel battery saver but that hasn't helped a lot.

Is it possible that this could be because of the lollipop memory leak issue and unwanted usage of ram because I seem to be having this problem.

Is this normal or average battery life or is it possible to get more out of this phone? Should I return it and get a new one because I have heard users getting around 5 hours SoT. Please help me out! Thanks!
    I have an S6 and the battery life for me is just fine. I can easily get a 10 hour day of emails, texting etc... with lots to spare. As others have suggested return the phone if you have a concern about battery life.

BUT
    There could be factors contributing to poor battery life for you. Things such as being in a poor signal area, continuously running apps like facebook, and of course, games. Some configuration settings like auto screen brightness can also cause excessive battery drain. Again my opinion, but poor battery life seems to be the topic du jour for the GS6.

Much of the forum input and amateur tech journalist reviews are simply ill informed, and just parroting back what they've read or heard somewhere else.
    05-28-2015 06:47 PM
    maybe "Greenify" app can help you to solve your problem with your battery.
    Also you can check wiseapp really nice app to solve all kind of things.
    05-28-2015 07:10 PM
    What does everyone use for facebook if they dont use the facebook app it self?
    05-29-2015 08:44 AM
    What does everyone use for facebook if they dont use the facebook app it self?
    browser.
    05-29-2015 08:50 AM
    Would i see a noticeable difference in battery performance?
    05-29-2015 08:52 AM
70 123