Consumer Reports says S5 > S6?

Erm10

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I never owned an S5 but in a way I find it refreshing that someone out there is valuing function over form. All of the so called "tech writers", websites and blogs slammed the S5 and earlier Galaxy devices for not having "premium" design and build like the iPhone, despite the fact that it allowed for things that are critical to many people, like replaceable battery and SD card. Frankly I don't care what the back of the phone is made of or looks like because I will always have it in a case.

So if you set aside those two features (which is hard to do because they are very important to many), which is the better device and which is the better value (always an important criteria for CR)?

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Funny how things go. My son loves his s5 and is no hurry to get rid of it.

Posted via the Android Central App from my HTC m8 till my LG g4 comes in.

KJ78

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I never owned an S5 but in a way I find it refreshing that someone out there is valuing function over form. All of the so called "tech writers", websites and blogs slammed the S5 and earlier Galaxy devices for not having "premium" design and build like the iPhone, despite the fact that it allowed for things that are critical to many people, like replaceable battery and SD card. Frankly I don't care what the back of the phone is made of or looks like because I will always have it in a case.

So if you set aside those two features (which is hard to do because they are very important to many), which is the better device and which is the better value (always an important criteria for CR)?

I don't understand the "premium build" hype especially when it's about things like a glass back that is will obviously crack. Almost everybody should have their phone in a case covering all but the screen. For me function >form.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I had an S5 and switched over to an S6. I liked the S5 a Lot it was reliable and did everything I needed it to with no issues. I switched for the internal memory of the S6. If it weren't for that, I would've kept the S5. S6 outperforms the S5 in my opinion but you take a huge hit in the battery because of it. I guess you gotta give something to get something. It's just the way things go

Galaxy S6 Gang

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I passed on the GS5 because it seemed like the GS4 Take 2. Because of the lack of a card slot and a replaceable battery, they would trade performance and speed as well as a much better TouchWiz UI not to mention a better camera, better display, faster storage, wireless charging, a better fingerprint scanner and tap n go/ MST mobile payments. The GS6 is what the GS5 should have been.

Phillip Pugh

Banned
Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Had all the s phones and the gs6 is the best one yet . Not sure why you would worry about what somebody else says . If you like your gs6 why the hell would you care

Posted via the Android Central App

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Had all the s phones and the gs6 is the best one yet . Not sure why you would worry about what somebody else says . If you like your gs6 why the hell would you care

Amen, brother! If you are having buyers remorse, return it and get a device that makes you happy and better fits your usage and preferences. No one should hang on to a device that you aren't happy with.

Zoostation

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Well this sucks....made a comment in this thread right before I left work and it's gone. Even checked to make sure it showed up before leaving. Now nothing.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Well this sucks....made a comment in this thread right before I left work and it's gone. Even checked to make sure it showed up before leaving. Now nothing.

You can't leave us hanging. Was work that bad today?

joeszef

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
I dont understand, when S5 came out they dont like it for not having a premiun build at a premiun price tag now when S6 came most of them now says they dont like it for having a premiun glass and metal frame. So whats up with that?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I dont understand, when S5 came out they dont like it for not having a premiun build at a premiun price tag now when S6 came most of them now says they dont like it for having a premiun glass and metal frame. So whats up with that?

It, to me, seems like the heartburn is more about the exclusion of the card slot and replaceable battery and the flip flop on the build materials is collateral damage. Possibly less criticism if the device were thick enough to make the camera hump flush with the chassis of the device.

Phillip Pugh

Banned
Nov 21, 2013
Visit site

if you want to galaxy s6 go buy it if you don't like it you have two weeks to take it back stop listening to the naysayers and haters

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress