Syncing facebook contacts

darky123

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
I have the S6 Edge and i was always able to sync Facebook contacts into my address book - but now i have noticed that i can't find a way to do it anymore - i don't see such setting in the Facebook app - help. I Want to use Facebook pictures for my contacts.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Mmm... I stopped using the 'native' one ages ago, so I didn't notice it was gone. This was a Samsung/Facebook thing (it's not a part of the base Facebook app), but I guess it's no longer supported.

I use Sync.ME for that, and it works quite well. If you don't like the Caller ID feature, you can turn that off and leave the Contact update part active.

darky123

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
How do I use Sync.ME ? I installed it and it did noting - I couldn't see the Facebook pictures in my contacts app on the phone so I uninstalled it.
Just to clarify - I don't want to use Sync.ME to place call or for anything else - I just want it to sync contacts pictures from Facebook to my native contacts app - can it do that?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, it can! On the app's settings there are separate sections for Caller ID and Contact Sync, as well as Birthdays. You can enable/disable each one separately.

On the Contact Sync make sure that you select the appropriate sync options like frequency or if you'll only allow the app to sync over WiFi or when charging.

I like it because it works even with people I don't have on Facebook (as long as their security settings allow it, of course, but if they didn't, then it wouldn't work on the 'native' one anyway).

darky123

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
I saw that section but there is no way to make it sync immediately so I don't know if it works. How long after I install the app does it take for it to sync the photos from Facebook to my contacts? Also - my contacts are in a different language then my Facebook - is there a way to tell Sync.ME which contacts locally to connect a contact on Facebook?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure how long it took, but if you set the sync conditions right, then it should take more than a few minutes. Sync.ME uses phone numbers primarily to get FB data, so it doesn't really matter the language the contacts are in. If it can't find the number (if the contact doesn't have that information on FB) and you have a name for that contact, then it will look up the name and notify you that it found matches and ask for your approval before it applies the changes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
martinst-uk