Is the whole internal memory used for apps?

A

AC Question

IS the whole internal memory may be used for apps?

Assume that I don't keep any significant personal media such as pics and videos. Does it means that Samsung S6 with internal memory of 64G can be installed with practically unlimited number of apps?
Or only few GBs are assigned for apps installations? if so - how can I get this number before I buy the device?

In my old HTC one S, with 16G internal memory, the space for apps and the system (together) is about 7G (the rest 9G is only for user's files) - so practically the space for apps is very limited and I frequently get "not sufficient memory..." error
thanks

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: IS the whole internal memory may be used for apps?

Hi, if you have a 64gb, taking away the space for the os and all the built in apps then what's remaining can be used for whatever you like, i.e apps. Over the course of time your phone will pick up media content, which will go towards your storage, but if you constantly keep on top of them and delete them then yeah you can have as many apps downloaded that you like (depending on storage space)

Adir Raz

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site

thanks, Tall Guy. yet, can you explain why my old HTC One S (4.1.1) limits the space for system+apps to 7 G, out of the internal 16G?

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site

Hi, your phone needs to keep space free for it to run efficiently. It also needs to leave space for app updates and future software updates.

Bare in mind that your phone is pretty old (4.1.1) things have changed a bit for newer devices.

thanks for registering with AC :) head on over to our introduction page and introduce yourself :)

Introductions - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
runblue