Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge - 24 hours and already scratched

Knowledge10111

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
Wow. Really shocked here. Was waiting for a tempered glass protector before I put anything on. Thought it could AT LEAST get me by a few weeks without any scratches.

My phone is fine but my wife's S7 Edge has a deep scratch in the center of the phone. She has been very careful and did not drop it at all. Only place it went was her pocket. I though Gorilla Glass 4 should have been AT LEAST able to handle some pocket handling? :mad:

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I believe that Samsung used some cheap @ss glass on these latest phones. There are a bunch of reports of scratched displays from normal use.
This sucks as it will be near impossible to find a tempered glass protector that will work on edge phones.

It's not Gorilla Glass 4, it's Baby Glass 1 :p

Here is a couple videos that showcase some scratches on the new phones.

Kevin has a large scratch on the lower gold part to the right of the home button:

On this video Flo shows scratches (about 30:00 in) received just taking the phone in and out of her purse.

[video]https://twit.tv/shows/all-about-android/episodes/256?[/video]

Last edited:

Knowledge10111

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
I wonder if there is some quality control on the type of glass they are using. This video suggests that it can handle a razor blade....don't see how sand can scratch this!

youtube.com/watch?v=D_bB5fnN7Jk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Seeing that some can take a razor blade to it on YouTube - it survived that with no issue - so I AM surprised!

razor blade is generally just standard steel, which while sharp, is not very hard. Using Mohr's hardness scale, regular steel is about a 4-4.5 . gorilla glass is around a 6 ish, so of course a standard steel razor blade won't scratch it. Sand is a somewhat generic term...it could be a number of materials, but generally speaking, it is pretty common knowledge that sand can scratch a gorilla glass screen.

If you still don't believe me, just google "can sand scratch gorilla glass". you'll find plenty of places that discuss about this.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
In the video you posted, you can see that a razor blade doesn't scratch the glass... Yes BUT a pick with a Mohr hardness of 6 will scratch the glass. Silica sand is pretty standard, and it has a hardness of 6-7.

Also if your wife has a diamond ring, then diamond has a hardness of 10.

Basically anything with a Mohr hardness of 6 or above will scratch the screen.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
If there's one of these in the purse...

doom.jpg

or if you see someone wearing these and a phone in their back pocket...

doom2.jpg

Carlo Villa

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Same thing happened to me , I put the phone in my pants pocket and one time I forgot and put some keys there too. That was enough for a tiny scratch on the screen.

Can't risk it without a glass protector :(

wxman2003

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Even a few grains of salt will scratch glass. I made the mistake one of setting my iPhone face down on a table at a restaurant. Thought it was completely clean. Had some fine scratches after that. The scratches were likely in the oleophobic coating.

anon(9708869)

Banned
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Are there any glass screen protectors worth a darn out yet? And if so, where do i get one? I'm paranoid about scratching the screen and then i read this post.

Knowledge10111

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
I believe Zagg has some but I've read mixed reviews about them not fitting correctly and they won't release a contour version until April...not sure at the moment its why I don't have one yet

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Are there any glass screen protectors worth a darn out yet? And if so, where do i get one? I'm paranoid about scratching the screen and then i read this post.

You don't need a glass protector to prevent scratches. I just applied an Armorsuit cover to my S7E. More than enough to protect from scratches.

KimJongOMG

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
You don't need a glass protector to prevent scratches. I just applied an Armorsuit cover to my S7E. More than enough to protect from scratches.

Glass protectors feel so nice though.

I go to the beach every weekend and sand will completely destroy the screen.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
In the video you posted, you can see that a razor blade doesn't scratch the glass... Yes BUT a pick with a Mohr hardness of 6 will scratch the glass. Silica sand is pretty standard, and it has a hardness of 6-7.

Also if your wife has a diamond ring, then diamond has a hardness of 10.

Basically anything with a Mohr hardness of 6 or above will scratch the screen.

It makes me happy to see a conversation about Mohs scale of hardness in these forums.

Just an FYI, I'm an archaeologist with a geology background.:)