Unlock code is required after a restart, rather than just a fingerprint!

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
The fingerprint sensor is fast and very sensitive. It works great, until the device is restarted. Then, instead of being able to unlock with a fingerprint, it says "Swipe screen to unlock". After swiping, this pops up: "Enter password instead of using fingerprint recognition after restarting device to protect fingerprints".

WTF?!?!

I looked for settings to change this, but either I'm blind, or there are none. Any help would be appreciated! Or if it can't be changed, I would hope for an explanation from either Samsung or Google.

KimJongOMG

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
re:

The fingerprint sensor is fast and very sensitive. It works great, until the device is restarted. Then, instead of being able to unlock with a fingerprint, it says "Swipe screen to unlock". After swiping, this pops up: "Enter password instead of using fingerprint recognition after restarting device to protect fingerprints".

WTF?!?!

I looked for settings to change this, but either I'm blind, or there are none. Any help would be appreciated! Or if it can't be changed, I would hope for an explanation from either Samsung or Google.

Encryption. The phone can't get to the fingerprint scans until you unlock the encrypted device. Same way on the iPhones.

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
re:

Thanks! That seems reasonable, but I find it odd that they can figure out a way to access the encrypted password to unlock the device, but not the encrypted fingerprint. I think someone who develops these items should be able to come up with a creative solution for the 6.0.2 update!

KimJongOMG

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
re:

Thanks! That seems reasonable, but I find it odd that they can figure out a way to access the encrypted password to unlock the device, but not the encrypted fingerprint. I think someone who develops these items should be able to come up with a creative solution for the 6.0.2 update!

It's because fingerprints are a biometric ID whereas a standard password is not. I wouldn't want hackers with my fingerprints doing God knows what should they somehow get them in their grubby little hands.

I'm sure there's a more technical explanation but I'm not smart enough to get into that :p.

jsjxyz

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
re:

Yes in iPhone it requires,

but samsung has failed deductive logic:

it required PW to open after startup, BUT you still can use the finger swype to change PW.

Why don't it just required Finger swype directly if it can allow the access to change PW.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
re:

Are there any phones that will let you unlock from boot with a fingerprint?

My Honor 5X behaves the same way as Apple and Samsung.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
re:

I read that the police can make you unlock a phone with your fingerprint but they cannot make you enter a password. This might have an indirect bearing on it.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh before I forget, for those unconcerned the setting for this feature is under Lockscreen and Security > Secure Startup

This is for the actual boot of Android (as in asking for PIN like Jerry said before the system actually boots) but if you have FP setup it still asks for PIN before it will allow FP access (like iPhones) on the lock screen.

anon(94650)

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Interesting thread. My daughter and and I both have recently gotten S7s. Monday as I brought her to the airport we were comparing our impressions of the phone and I mentioned that one of the things I really liked and had been looking forward to in moving from an S4 was the ability to use my fingerprint to unlock the phone. She said her husband wouldn't let her use the fingerprint option because it was a security risk, hackers had broken into phones and obtained the fingerprints. It's not going to stop me from using my fingerprint, but I was wondering if anyone else had heard of this. I haven't had a chance to do any checking on it since Monday, and this thread reminded me. My son in law works for a major tech company, and is normally a very reliable source.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
A putty on your finger to copy the print and it can work on the phone. As for hackers, they need access to your phone first. AFAIK Google doesn't back up finger print data. It stays on the device. So any hacker needs to find way in first.

reddbrad

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
I hate this. I just want to know how to put it back the way it was.

WTF?!?!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I hate this. I just want to know how to put it back the way it was.

If I recall correctly this is how it has always been since fingerprint readers have been around. If you don't want a FP simply don't setup a lock screen and you can swipe to unlock :).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max mays