Epic Fail!: My horror story of moving apps to the SD card

barskin

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I have, well, I had, the Clean Master app on my Edge, and it was prompting me to move my apps the my sd card. I was waiting, because I bought a new 200 gig card, and it hadn't yet been delivered. The card arrives, I put my media on it (including nearly a 100 gigs of MP4's), added even more MP4's and installed it. So, my Clean Master makes a list for me of the apps that can be transferred to the SD, and the process is long and tedious. One at a time, I have to touch on storage, then change, then SD card, then wait. And over and over. So the process is finally, at long last, through, and I look at my app drawer to find empty pages. My SD card apps have disappeared. I do a search. They're not there. Then my phone freezes. I cannot do a thing. I manage to do a restart, and it freezes while doing that. I have to hold down the power button and volume down, and I get it back, but it is performing terribly. I decided to do a factory reset, even reformatting my SD card, and it freezes in mid reformat. My SD card is "corrupted," it says. So, I opened the card tray and removed it. The device started performing better, but I went ahead and did the factory reset. And I put the card in my pc, reformatted it and reloaded the media, which of course, took hours, since I was filling 143 of the 183 available gigs. Oy veh. Anyway, I did not reinstall Clean Master, and I am not doing any more app transfers. I don't know what or if I did anything wrong in the process, but it was scary. I was terrified that I had really screwed things up irreparably, but I didn't. {{Huge Sigh of Relief}}}

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
using the adopted storage or the samsung method (through app manager) will give you better results.

i've used both methods with no problems like the ones you suffered.

barskin

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
using the adopted storage or the samsung method (through app manager) will give you better results.

i've used both methods with no problems like the ones you suffered.

Adoptable storage does not appear to be activated on the G7 or G7 Edge.

Posted via the Android Central App

There's a way to make it work. I haven't done so yet, but admit to being tempted.

Well, I am leaving things be. A frozen device and invisible app drawer pages...never again.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
Adoptable storage does not appear to be activated on the G7 or G7 Edge.

Posted via the Android Central App

There's a way to make it work. I haven't done so yet, but admit to being tempted.

the option has been hidden from the UI, but the feature is still part of the OS, and can be enabled through adb.

i've been using it since the method was found and haven't had any issues. if you still need to be able to access a portion of the SD card in the traditional method (portable storage) then you can also partition it with a percentage of it being adopted.

as far as apps being installed on the sd card, the adopted storage method works better than samsungs implementation and personally i haven't seen any performance hit from having apps installed on the card, albeit i am using a fairly quick card (95/90MB/s R/W) but the phone works perfectly fine so far.

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I stopped reading after clean master. What a joke app

What's funny is that Samsung has implemented Clean Master as part of their Smart Manager tool in settings. It can also be accessed via the My Files/Storage Usage.

Regarding moving apps to SD. 1ST avoid it if at all possible or at least use the Samsung App Manager to do it vs. a third party app. If you have the ability to implement adoptable storage, then that is the best way to go.

Robert Parsons2

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
the option has been hidden from the UI, but the feature is still part of the OS, and can be enabled through adb.

i've been using it since the method was found and haven't had any issues. if you still need to be able to access a portion of the SD card in the traditional method (portable storage) then you can also partition it with a percentage of it being adopted.

as far as apps being installed on the sd card, the adopted storage method works better than samsungs implementation and personally i haven't seen any performance hit from having apps installed on the card, albeit i am using a fairly quick card (95/90MB/s R/W) but the phone works perfectly fine so far.

Whats abd?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo