EE branded software vs sim free in UK

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Anyone using an edge on EE in the UK? Looking to get one and I hear WiFi calling only works with EE branded software. Is that true? Any way to enable on the stock software?

Also as they are rolling out voLTE, will this work on unbranded software or again is the EE version required?

I can either get the phone through EE or carphone warehouse. Ideally would prefer sim free from cpw for the faster updates but it seems it might be a bit crippled without the EE firmware. Have EE been passing on any updates or are they behind already?

Posted via the Android Central App

RadiantDuck

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
On other phones you need ee software to use those features, though I've heard some people with a lot of skills loading the software onto Unlocked phones. Far beyond me though!

Ee doesn't add any bloat though, but updates to tend to be slower.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Great thanks for the info. Doesn't make the decision easy! I know I will be annoyed if Samsung send out an update and I don't get it because of carrier branded software yet the extra perks in this case might be worth the trade off. Hmmm...

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
The unbranded, carrier free, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge for the U.K., (Product code BTU), is currently on its 2nd firmware release PC8, build date 14th March.

Whilst the EE carrier firmware for the U.K., (Product code EVR), is still on its original release PB9, build date 19th February.

You will need the EE, (EVR), firmware for Wi-Fi calling on EE. See, EE wifi calling on S7 - G930F. It seems to work

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Interesting thanks. Not really into flashing different firmware versions but it feels like I'd be better with the sim free version from CPW, then I can always put the EE software on there if I want to experiment. Probably better than trying to go the other way round... I would defo get annoyed by not receiving the updates!

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
That is a BIG plus point for the Samsung Galaxy S7/Edge Global models, G935F and G930F. We have over 200+ firmwares for each model to choose from worldwide, both unbranded and lightly branded. Flashing a stock Samsung firmware will NOT trip your Knox security flag and in Europe, will NOT void your 2 year warranty.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
That is a BIG plus point for the Samsung Galaxy S7/Edge Global models, G935F and G930F. We have over 200+ firmwares for each model to choose from worldwide, both unbranded and lightly branded. Flashing a stock Samsung firmware will NOT trip your Knox security flag and in Europe, will NOT void your 2 year warranty.

Interesting, didn't know that. Thanks!

sahajesh

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
I flashed my unbranded S7 Edge with EE firmware - worth it for WiFi calling and future VoLTE.

Annoying that Android phones need carrier firmware (slower updates), although I understand Google does want this sort of functionality to be native and not carrier dependent.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
If someone ideally doesn't want to mess with flashing firmware (like me!) is it better to get the EE branded handset for the wifif calling and voLTE or the unbranded one for faster updates? I guess either way I could always flash a different firmware if I want to in the future but tricky to know whether to walk to the EE shop or carphone warehouse...!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress