How do you normally crack/break screen?

teeitupmo#WN

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
It blows my mind that so many people are breaking or cracking their screens...how does this happen?

For those that are worried about the S7E screen getting broken...

Post how you have broken your screen in the past? Are you generally clumsy? Are your hands to full? Did someone bump you? Etc..

This post serves no purpose other than to satisfy my curiosity about how so many people trash their precious ectronics.

Thank you in advance.

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
This may come across as matter of fact, but people with busy lives damage their phones and not just the screen most of the time. I've seen back covers bent at a severe angle, metallic frames warping, and the touch digitizer losing its bond at one or more corners.

OEM's are also incredibly lazy with their definition of premium, which means something you treat like an infant with osteoporosis. Accessory makers are being gouged out of retail by big box brands like Otterbox and Body Glove, who have consistently let people down ever since Phone-Tablets surged in demand.

Microscratches are inexcusable on plastic displays, my dirt-cheap LG Sunrise/Lucky is an extremely cheap handset, I have yet to see micro scratches appear on my old Gingerbread handsets. Anything using glass or finer plastic? One or two micro scratches. It's strange. My RCA tablet has a few scratches here and there but nothing astutely distracting.

I miss clamshell and harder plastics. It shouldn't be impossible to make a decent shatter free plastic that has decent viewing angles.

anon(79257)

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
It blows my mind that so many people are breaking or cracking their screens...how does this happen?

For those that are worried about the S7E screen getting broken...

Post how you have broken your screen in the past? Are you generally clumsy? Are your hands to full? Did someone bump you? Etc..

This post serves no purpose other than to satisfy my curiosity about how so many people trash their precious ectronics.

Thank you in advance.

I usually use a ball peen hammer to crack mine. On purpose.

teeitupmo#WN

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Good point...see Droid Turbo 2. Shatterproof screen. I owned one for about 12 days, then used my 14 days worry free exchange to get my Silver S7E.

I will more manufacturers would do what moto did with their Turbo2 display.

anon(79257)

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
This may come across as matter of fact, but people with busy lives damage their phones and not just the screen most of the time. I've seen back covers bent at a severe angle, metallic frames warping, and the touch digitizer losing its bond at one or more corners.

OEM's are also incredibly lazy with their definition of premium, which means something you treat like an infant with osteoporosis. Accessory makers are being gouged out of retail by big box brands like Otterbox and Body Glove, who have consistently let people down ever since Phone-Tablets surged in demand.

Microscratches are inexcusable on plastic displays, my dirt-cheap LG Sunrise/Lucky is an extremely cheap handset, I have yet to see micro scratches appear on my old Gingerbread handsets. Anything using glass or finer plastic? One or two micro scratches. It's strange. My RCA tablet has a few scratches here and there but nothing astutely distracting.

I miss clamshell and harder plastics. It shouldn't be impossible to make a decent shatter free plastic that has decent viewing angles.

I look at cell phones as disposable technology. They are, really. You pay $700 for one, but after 2yrs it's worth about $35. No point in ignoring that fact.

It's a tool. Once it's usefulness has diminished, get another. It's pretty simple. Too many people treat them as glamor objects or fashion. Those of us that use them for the intended purpose know that we will have to buy another in 2yrs, anyway.

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
True, which is also why people engage in childish phone wars. I missed the design ingenuity of earlier LG, Nokia, and Motorola phones. A lot of Motorola's old candybar phones were designed to collapse apart but be able to look like new later.

I do applaud Motorola for their Droid Turbo 2.

anon(79257)

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
True, which is also why people engage in childish phone wars. I missed the design ingenuity of earlier LG, Nokia, and Motorola phones. A lot of Motorola's old candybar phones were designed to collapse apart but be able to look like new later.

I do applaud Motorola for their Droid Turbo 2.

Totally miss the original moto phones. Tanks.

oneformula

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Had a handheld cell phone since 1992. Never broke one.

I pretty much get a new phone every year. This S7 edge is the first phone I've put a case on. Not sure why.

Posted via the Android Central App

ToniCipriani

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Only time I broke a screen wasn't actually a phone, but my Sony CLIÉ. Snow storm, walking to the lab and fell down some stairs covered in ice with it in my backpack. Cracked right through the digitizer and spilt screen.

Phonecovers

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
I never broke my phone screen, all my phones' screens are well. Maybe it's about luck, mostly I droped my phones several times, but the screen isn't broken.

MartinMPL

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
The only one I ever broke was my Nexus 5. I was holding it while I shut the car door with the same hand and let go of it. It shattered on the driveway and a couple of pieces of glass fell out completely. Ive had a couple of phones have minor scratches on them but not usually enough to bother (probably the worst I had was on a Galaxy Nexus without knowing how I did it).

As for glass backs. I mysteriously had a Nexus 4 shatter while sitting on a desk (at home) charging overnight.

MartinMPL

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure what that video proves. It didn't compare the iPhone in the drop tests which are subjective anyway since no two drops are ever the same.

The iPhone 6s Plus seemed to be worst in the tumble test too.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure what that video proves. It didn't compare the iPhone in the drop tests which are subjective anyway since no two drops are ever the same.

The iPhone 6s Plus seemed to be worst in the tumble test too.

It was posted merely to demonstrate the S7 drop test.

LGalaxyGirl

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
I let my daughter play Clash of Clans on my Galaxy S3. She dropped it face down on the bathroom floor.

After that, no more borrowing Mom's phone. A couple of years later, this past winter in fact, she dropped her iPhone 6 from a floor up. $200 came out of her Christmas gift money to pay for the replacement. She has a Spigen case (she had one of those silly (and slippery) "hipster" cases from Hot Topic on it when she dropped it) and a Tech Armor ballistic glass screen protector on the new one.

No, she wasn't allowed to go near the S7 Edge, even though she loved the way it looks. (She's 12)

teeitupmo#WN

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I let my daughter play Clash of Clans on my Galaxy S3. She dropped it face down on the bathroom floor.

After that, no more borrowing Mom's phone. A couple of years later, this past winter in fact, she dropped her iPhone 6 from a floor up. $200 came out of her Christmas gift money to pay for the replacement. She has a Spigen case (she had one of those silly (and slippery) "hipster" cases from Hot Topic on it when she dropped it) and a Tech Armor ballistic glass screen protector on the new one.

No, she wasn't allowed to go near the S7 Edge, even though she loved the way it looks. (She's 12)
Good idea. Kids shouldn't go near mommy's electronic toys.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I dropped my phone this weekend (nasty fall) and luckily it his the corner and then flipped onto its back. It may have not been so great if it landed on its face but not sure ... If it was caseless though man would my phone be shattered.

Attachments

• 1461603642440.jpg
    1461603642440.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 1461603649270.jpg
    1461603649270.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 42

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
The only glass I've ever broken was my S5's camera glass... No idea how it happened. Just pulled my phone out of my pocket at the dang thing was shattered... Fixed it myself. Hardest part was getting the tiny glass shards out of the actual lens because it wouldn't allow the camera to focus. My wife dropped her S5 several times and twice it broke the glass screen protector but never the glass. Her S7 screen though... She was setting it on her nightstand to charge it and lost grip. In trying to recover it she ended up slamming it face first against the point of her ceramic ring holder... Broke the Zagg glass, OBLITERATED the screen... I know that there was a lot of point contact force but the Zagg seemed barely damaged compared the phone screen. Wasn't too thrilled with that.
16ca2f26406f9decf389564632b859e8.jpg
ddace0ee751625145bb17ec8aa1179d1.jpg

Sorry for the potato pics...