How durable is s7 edge in case?

brenz566

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
The only thing keeping me from buying the Edge is my fear of breaking the screen. I know anything can happen, but does the phone seem durable enough in a two layered case? Could it take some drops?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Should be, as long as the case is well made and has good protection. Won't help with a direct hit to the glass though. A bad angle hit can do it in one shot.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I've had mine for two weeks now,using a clear, thin spigen case. I rarely if ever drop my phone, but it feels as if it could handle a drop or two,provided it doesn't land perfectly face down. This case gives really good grip, so take it for what it's worth. If you drop your phone frequently , I'd go with an otterbox case.

Posted via the Android Central App

bsteppuhn

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
Welp my phone just survived a massive fall today! You could have sworn my life was ending in slow mo. Was jumping out of a tractor to put more seed in my phone slow heart stopping hit every metal step on the way down and landed on gravel. I just stared at it. Cringing as I picked it up and 100% fine!

I'm only using a Spigen tough armour. My children have dropped it. My two year old has smashed it.

The best part of the story is my dad hear my shrieking over a phone he said it sounded like a dying cat bahahaha.

Base_UK

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
Not nearly as drastic but the spigen tough armour case has also saved mine from a nasty fall onto a hard tile floor! 👍

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
The truth is that ANY phone, be it plastic, aluminum or glass, might survive a drop that seems horrendous, and might shatter from an impact that seems minor. It all depends on exactly how the phone hits, what it lands on, whether the glass has any scratches or has taken any prior falls. One fall might create stress in the glass that causes it to crack later. Scratches, even nearly invisible ones, in the glass can weaken it and cause it to break in what seems a minor impact. A drop on a corner seems more likely to cause breakage than a flat drop on the face (unless you drop the face onto a really rough surface, like gravel).

The curved edges of Samsung's edge phones create a surface that can't really be protected by a case, and prevent the use of cases that extend well above the screen. Both of which increase the chances of the screen itself impacting something hard. And case or no, a glass back is obviously more fragile than a metal or plastic one.

I dropped my S7 Edge, in a Spigen Liquid Crystal case, face down on smooth concrete. It dropped from pocket height. The screen shattered. I've dropped other phone in similar fashion with no problems. Is that because of the edge design, or just bad luck? Your guess is as good as mine. But don't assume a Spigen Tough Armor is going to protect your case from any and all drops. The best protection is not dropping it, and a case that offers a good grip is probably the best way to prevent that. At the moment, the grippiest case that is still relatively slim is the Speck Candyshell.

Malek J

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
The truth is that ANY phone, be it plastic, aluminum or glass, might survive a drop that seems horrendous, and might shatter from an impact that seems minor. It all depends on exactly how the phone hits, what it lands on, whether the glass has any scratches or has taken any prior falls. One fall might create stress in the glass that causes it to crack later. Scratches, even nearly invisible ones, in the glass can weaken it and cause it to break in what seems a minor impact. A drop on a corner seems more likely to cause breakage than a flat drop on the face (unless you drop the face onto a really rough surface, like gravel).

The curved edges of Samsung's edge phones create a surface that can't really be protected by a case, and prevent the use of cases that extend well above the screen. Both of which increase the chances of the screen itself impacting something hard. And case or no, a glass back is obviously more fragile than a metal or plastic one.

I dropped my S7 Edge, in a Spigen Liquid Crystal case, face down on smooth concrete. It dropped from pocket height. The screen shattered. I've dropped other phone in similar fashion with no problems. Is that because of the edge design, or just bad luck? Your guess is as good as mine. But don't assume a Spigen Tough Armor is going to protect your case from any and all drops. The best protection is not dropping it, and a case that offers a good grip is probably the best way to prevent that. At the moment, the grippiest case that is still relatively slim is the Speck Candyshell.

I would also suggest UAG. Great protection with a solid grip. Never dropped it.

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Dropped my phone with a UAG and a Spigen Tough Armor. No damage both times.

I don't know what it is but the more I focus on not dropping the phone the more I drop it.

Posted from the S7E Chrome™ on Big Red

danlnyc

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand how all you guys are using that Tough Armor case without any issues from the power button! Out of all the cases the Tough Armor was by far the worst case I've used from a popular company like Spigen.

Power button is terrible.

bsteppuhn

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
I understand a case isn't 100%. I think the OP was wondering if it was more fragile especially with the posts of spontaneous cracks? I would be leary if I didn't already own one. Like MizWylie I think this phone has fallen more then my previous ones because I'm more conscious of it. I'll take my chances with my current setup! So far it's worked if not ill just pay out the *** in insurance. I have a Motorola Droid turbo shatter at less of an impact then my s7e.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I understand a case isn't 100%. I think the OP was wondering if it was more fragile especially with the posts of spontaneous cracks? I would be leary if I didn't already own one. Like MizWylie I think this phone has fallen more then my previous ones because I'm more conscious of it. I'll take my chances with my current setup! So far it's worked if not ill just pay out the *** in insurance. I have a Motorola Droid turbo shatter at less of an impact then my s7e.

It's more fragile because of the shape of the glass itself. It doesn't lend well to bending stress. A case may help in decreasing bending stress, but it still may not be enough. These reported 'spontaneous cracks' aren't really spontaneous. It's just that that individual's daily usage puts the phone on a stress type that it can't handle. The curved glass is more prone to crack from bending stress than flat slabs used in previous designs. Putting the phone on the back pocket for example puts the phone in a prime position to experience variable levels of bending stress as you walk. The bigger the buns you have, the bigger the bending stress as well with every step, coupled by how tight your jeans are. Continued use like this MAY create microcracks which falls may exacerbate to full blown cracks or shattering.

I generally put my phones in a front pocket, so it falls down to my thigh below the bending region of the leg. This minimizes the bending stress but it is not eliminated.

But yes, to summarize, the Edge is more fragile than your average phone. If you're worried you may look into the nonEdge version with a more common but sturdier design for the front screen.

naturalguy#AC

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Another vote for the Spigen Tough Armor, it saved mine from a screen down drop. It has a decent lip that will protect the screen if it drops flat. The UAG has this as well

bsteppuhn

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
It's more fragile because of the shape of the glass itself. It doesn't lend well to bending stress. A case may help in decreasing bending stress, but it still may not be enough. These reported 'spontaneous cracks' aren't really spontaneous. It's just that that individual's daily usage puts the phone on a stress type that it can't handle. The curved glass is more prone to crack from bending stress than flat slabs used in previous designs. Putting the phone on the back pocket for example puts the phone in a prime position to experience variable levels of bending stress as you walk. The bigger the buns you have, the bigger the bending stress as well with every step, coupled by how tight your jeans are. Continued use like this MAY create microcracks which falls may exacerbate to full blown cracks or shattering.

I generally put my phones in a front pocket, so it falls down to my thigh below the bending region of the leg. This minimizes the bending stress but it is not eliminated.

But yes, to summarize, the Edge is more fragile than your average phone. If you're worried you may look into the nonEdge version with a more common but sturdier design for the front screen.

I do have one equestrian how the hell do some people get into the skin tight jeans. Makes me sweat just thinking about it. I like to live comfy. And I also put it in the front pocket

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa