Verizon S7E bought w/DPP on StraightTalk

teeitupmo#WN

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Hey. I am a Verizon customer and this question may not be applicable only to the S7 Edge, but that is the phone I have so i am posting here.

I have two Verizon lines, one is a spare and I use it to buy phones and for development purposes. The other is the one i use most and is for my personal use.

45 days ago, I used my upgrade to purchase my Galaxy S7 Edge then activated the Edge on my Personal line.

Fast forward to this past weekend, I removed the Edge from my Verizon account and activated my old Droid Turbo.

Why? Because I discovered Straight Talk now has a 10GB plan for $55, that runs on Verizon's network. I wanted to evaluate the ST service before I port my personal line over to ST.

When I put my S7 Edge's IMEI number into ST's device compatibility web page, it says the S7 Edge is not compatible.

1. Is that because the S7 Edge is too new and the ST database is not current and it may work regardless of what the web page is saying?
OR
2. because my Edge was purchased via the Verizon's DPP and Verizon wants the device paid off (even if its non activated) before the IMEI is released?

Any thoughts about this?

aximtreo

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
My first thought is your option 2. I don't believe Verizon would allow a number to be ported from a phone where money is still owed. I may be wrong. Hopefully others will offer more info.

teeitupmo#WN

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
My first thought is your option 2. I don't believe Verizon would allow a number to be ported from a phone where money is still owed. I may be wrong. Hopefully others will offer more info.
I am not porting the number yet, just want to use the S7E. Also, the line that the S7E was bought with, will remain on Verizon and I will continue to make payments on that line and keep my Verizon service.

teeitupmo#WN

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
If anyone is interested, my S7 Edge now works with StraightTalk. I guess it took a few days before Verizon released the IMEI number, even though it was purchased on a DPP.

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Yeah. I usually wait about 2-3 weeks before I started swapping phones around. I got my sister and iPhone 6 Plus on release date on a DPP (with her making the payment) and waited a week before getting it over to Straight Talk.

Quickest way is to just go into a store and have them activate the old device on your plan, or do it over the phone rather than the traditional sim swap.

Posted from the S7E Chrome™ on Big Red

teeitupmo#WN

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. I usually wait about 2-3 weeks before I started swapping phones around. I got my sister and iPhone 6 Plus on release date on a DPP (with her making the payment) and waited a week before getting it over to Straight Talk.

Quickest way is to just go into a store and have them activate the old device on your plan, or do it over the phone rather than the traditional sim swap.

Posted from the S7E Chrome™ on Big Red
Yeah, I was able to do it online. It gave me a message about my plan being changed, on the 2nd swap, so I had Verizon do the 2nd swap so my plan wouldn't get changed.

Once they did that, after a week or so of not being active, the S7E was able to go to StraightTalk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana