Will I receive OTA Updates in my country even if the phone is purchased from a different country?

Android104

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I have a Galaxy S7 Edge which I purchased from UAE and I currently reside in India.
The latest security patch on my device is that of 2nd April,2016.

I was wondering if I will still receive OTA updates in India even if my phone is purchased from UAE?

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The phone will get its updates based on the country of the rom, ie: the country/carrier it was built for.

A T-Mobile US phone, unlocked to use on any other carrier, will still gets its updates when those updates are released for T-Mobile US, for example.

In your case, when the phones built for UAE (like yours) start getting their updates, you will too.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I have a Galaxy S7 Edge which I purchased from UAE and I currently reside in India.
The latest security patch on my device is that of 2nd April,2016.

I was wondering if I will still receive OTA updates in India even if my phone is purchased from UAE?

Firmware updates issued by Samsung, (not AT&T or Verizon), are pushed to the phone as per the phone's model and the Product Code. The Product codes for UAE are, LYS and XSG. This is irrespective of the country or network you are on. Therefore, even though you are in India, you will receive the UAE updates which are both currently on PD1 firmware with the April security update.

Android104

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi, How do you know that latest update is PD1?
Where do you check so?

In other countries people have received the May Security update, while mine is still on April.

I am afraid that being in a different country, I can no longer receive updates

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Build PD1 is the first build of April 2016. Therefore it will not have the May Security update. There have been no further updates released by Samsung, so far, for the 2 UAE Product Codes mentioned in my previous post.

Last edited:

Android104

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi Thanks So Much for the reply.
The thing is that My android Os is consuming massive amount of data almost 100Mb a day.
And I literally tried everything to stop it but I can't seem to find the cause of the issue.

Have looked at several threads and turned off the sync,google back up and tried safe mode too but all in vain.

At this point I am really frustrated and feel like selling the device

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi Thanks So Much for the reply.
The thing is that My android Os is consuming massive amount of data almost 100Mb a day.
And I literally tried everything to stop it but I can't seem to find the cause of the issue.

Have looked at several threads and turned off the sync,google back up and tried safe mode too but all in vain.

At this point I am really frustrated and feel like selling the device

Have you tried wiping the phone's cache partition or a Factory Data Reset?

Are you running apps such as...

Apps that auto start or run in the background

1. Facebook

2. BlackBerry Messenger

3. 8 Ball Pool

4. Instagram

5. Messenger

6. WeChat

7. Facebook Pages Manager

8. Oovoo Video Call Text & Voice

9. KakaoTalk Free Calls & Text

10. Vine

Apps that are initiated by the user

1. Spotify

2. Amazon Kindle

3. Line Free Calls & Messages

4. Samsung WatchOn Video

5. Snapchat

6. Netflix

7. SoundCloud Music & Audio

8. CleanMaster Speed Booster

9. Tumblr

10. Picsart Photo Studio

Source... Facebook and Spotify Music apps are the biggest hogs of your Android phone’s battery, memory, and data

Android104

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Yes I am running Facebook, Messenger and Instagram , Snapchat.
Yes I have tried wiping of the cache but haven't tried a factory reset.

As I mentioned the apps stated above show a break up of their own for data usage.

What I am trying to figure out is what apps comprise of Android Os.

Because I haven't turned off the auto back and sync too but still my phone uses tremendous data.

Having searched for this over the internet I came across several threads regarding Android OS being a data hog but no one had a solution to the problem,

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Yes I am running Facebook, Messenger and Instagram , Snapchat.
Yes I have tried wiping of the cache but haven't tried a factory reset.

As I mentioned the apps stated above show a break up of their own for data usage.

What I am trying to figure out is what apps comprise of Android Os.

Because I haven't turned off the auto back and sync too but still my phone uses tremendous data.

Having searched for this over the internet I came across several threads regarding Android OS being a data hog but no one had a solution to the problem,

The apps mentioned in my previous post will also show up under Android OS as they continually make call on it. Try running your phone in Safe Mode for a few hours after fully charging it and see what the difference is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9czS7KVB3MA

Android104

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I ran it in safe mode for a few hours but again the same issue persist.
Spoke with support and they too couldn't help me

Also the black rim around my camera module is not even as shown in this picture. Is it supposed to be this way?
You can see it is thicker at the bottom than compared to the top

IMG-20160523-WA0000.jpg

All of this makes me wonder if my phone is defective or not

steve choi

Feb 26, 2017
Visit site
Hi, I hope I am not distrubing you with question. I have same case like user(Android104). I am the user of HTC ONE M9e (unlocked version)which I purchased through reseller in HK as HTC does not represent here in Korea. For your info, the phone was originally manufactured In Taiwan, Home of HTC. Everything is fine except I cannot receive OTA. Though, I clicked software update in order to receive OTA but I receive message "There are no updates available for your phone".

My question is whether I am able to receive software updates by OTA. I am interested in updating lolliop to marshmallow.

Appreciate feedback who is quite familar with OTA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress