Trying to decide between an S7 and S7E

anon(9708869)

Banned
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
I have an S7 and I love it, bit I feel like I'm missing some features like the edge screen and better battery life. Can anyone speak to which phone is better and are those features worth the bigger phone?

Posted via the Android Central App

tracypagedotnet

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
The edge screen is gimmicky...no real advantage to having it as far as I can tell.
I upgraded from the Note 4 so I can't really tell you anything vs. a regular S7

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It's hard to compare two great phones like that. My advice to you is to watch some unboxing videos of the Edge and see it in action that way.

Also, I feel like when we have something, we look at something else and feel like we're missing something... It could be another phone, another job, a car. What is better or not better is subjective, and only you can make that decision for yourself! :)

In my own personal opinion, I like both the S7 and the S7 Edge, but I prefer the Edge I think. I've never gone Samsung before, though, so obviously I can't give you any kind of concrete observations of the devices.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't go so far as to say that the edge screen is gimmicky. It does have functions that some users find very useful. I'm using it more as I get comfortable with the phone. I think it comes down to screen size first. The 5.5 inch screen in such a small form factor is very nice. The downside is that the S7 is more comfortable to hold IMO. The edge screen makes the sides smaller and more challenging to hold without a case. For me the bigger screen is worth it though. My bigger challenge is choosing between the S7E and my 6P.

Sam_Gs7

May 27, 2016
Visit site
Hey! TellYa! an story: I did have my S5..decided to upgrade, spent 2Wks
in Carriers Phone Demos and searched the 'Net too. IWas undecided
between get the iPhone SE or Samsung..got a Gs7: TheGs7-Edge
is Oxon Phn-but Size matter. If you like Gs7-Ed..GoFor it O:)

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I have an S7 and I love it, bit I feel like I'm missing some features like the edge screen and better battery life. Can anyone speak to which phone is better and are those features worth the bigger phone?

Bigger screen and better battery all the way. I use some of the edge features as well.

Malek J

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I use the edge all the time to launch apps so I don't find it gimmicky like the rest of the non galaxy owners lol

SinceTheBeginning

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Yep, this is why I chose the S7 Edge over the S7. The edge screen seem...nice, and it's fun to play around with but the big selling point for me was the larger battery. I'd rather have removable batteries but so far I haven't had any problems with the Edge getting me through an entire day.

tracypagedotnet

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
Nova Launcher allows you to activate and hide the dock with gestures as well as increase or decrease the number of icon and/or pages of icons. You can even set it to appear "above" your widgets so there's no touch screen issues when they overlap.
...it took Samsung, What, like 2 years to make that a stock feature but only on edge devices?!?!?! LOL
Sorry buddy, that aspect of the edge is ancient history at this point.

coolkenny13

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
I got the edge. for me it was never an option of s7 vs s7e. To be honest i got the s7e because of it's sheer sexiness. Other than that i have never ever used the edge features @ all. Did i make a mistake? Hell no..

i love the bigger screen size/battery life and the form factor even though i don't use any of the edge features. go to a store and try both. for me the phone is an investment(so putting in a couple of thousands/dollars extra and having the latest neatest thing on the block worked out for me)

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Nova Launcher allows you to activate and hide the dock with gestures as well as increase or decrease the number of icon and/or pages of icons. You can even set it to appear "above" your widgets so there's no touch screen issues when they overlap.
...it took Samsung, What, like 2 years to make that a stock feature but only on edge devices?!?!?! LOL
Sorry buddy, that aspect of the edge is ancient history at this point.
Does the nova launcher dock allow tools like ruler, flashlight and compass without opening anything else? Does it change apps depending on location? Does it do RSS feeds? Does it do a live RAM or Data graph? Does it allow you to check email? Open favorite contacts? Can it do any if those over ANY app? I can use the Edge panel even if I'm not on my homescreen.

Sorry, but it's not the same. It may not be useful for you, but it's not comparable to the Nova dock. It's like comparing a bicycle to a car. Sure both can take you places, but the bicycle doesn't offer as much.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I have the edge. I honestly thought I'd never actually use the Edge features though but for me personally who does a lot of driving at work, I use the Edge Apps for apps that I only really need when I'm driving and this way they're easy to access and don't clutter up my home screens the rest of the time when I'm not driving. I also use the Data Usage edge feature as it's a great way to keep an eye on data used. Battery is definitely better on the edge but if I had the choice again I'd choose the standard s7. The edge is way too fragile and vulnerable. Mine is getting replaced today after a tiny fall smashed the edge screen and camera glass on the back even being in a Spigen Rugged Armor case.

tracypagedotnet

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
There are widgets, which are independent of Nova, that have always allowed those features. What's the difference between an "edge app" that takes over your desktop and a second page full of widgets that you don't want on your desktop 24/7?

Honest question: What can the edge do that cannot already be achieved by other means? MY stance is that it did not add any feature to the phone at all, it's just an alternate means to achieve things you've already been doing all along. That's my definition of "gimmicky" in this case....something that attracts your attention to previously existing features.

tinybfk

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I originally got the S7. That lasted about a week before I also purchased the edge. I stuck with the edge. Mainly for battery life but the bigger screen also. I use the edge features occasionally but not much. Will probably use it a little more once football starts to check scores quickly.

Posted via Carrier Pigeon.

tracypagedotnet

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
My honest opinion is that the S7E is a great phone, but I am underwhelmed...

There is a fatal flaw in the Note 4 that forced my upgrade, so I went with the "latest and greatest". However, the S7E has a smaller screen (2/10th's + what you "lose" on the edge), the camera, while adding many features, is only 12mp compared to 16 (very noticeable when you're editing). Neither the Edge nor the Stylus added any significant feature to the phone, but the stylus never got in my way whereas I often find myself inadvertently touching an edge because....well heck, it's hard to hold the phone without touching an edge. The phone does appear to be really well built, but the design itself makes a protective case impossible to build. Traditionally speaking, a raised lip on the hardcase would prevent your flat-screen from actually contacting the "sidewalk". You can't do that with the S7E without covering the edges....

Still a great phone, but not an upgrade from where I came, and I use the edge about as often as I used the Stylus....

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
There are widgets, which are independent of Nova, that have always allowed those features. What's the difference between an "edge app" that takes over your desktop and a second page full of widgets that you don't want on your desktop 24/7?

Honest question: What can the edge do that cannot already be achieved by other means? MY stance is that it did not add any feature to the phone at all, it's just an alternate means to achieve things you've already been doing all along. That's my definition of "gimmicky" in this case....something that attracts your attention to previously existing features.

Simple answer - I usually drive with Google Maps open at all times for navigation and I can get to all my driving apps by swiping in from the right without ever leaving the app or going near my home screens.

Like I said before, I thought it was a gimmick I'd never use either but I did find it quite useful

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
My honest opinion is that the S7E is a great phone, but I am underwhelmed...

There is a fatal flaw in the Note 4 that forced my upgrade, so I went with the "latest and greatest". However, the S7E has a smaller screen (2/10th's + what you "lose" on the edge), the camera, while adding many features, is only 12mp compared to 16 (very noticeable when you're editing). Neither the Edge nor the Stylus added any significant feature to the phone, but the stylus never got in my way whereas I often find myself inadvertently touching an edge because....well heck, it's hard to hold the phone without touching an edge. The phone does appear to be really well built, but the design itself makes a protective case impossible to build. Traditionally speaking, a raised lip on the hardcase would prevent your flat-screen from actually contacting the "sidewalk". You can't do that with the S7E without covering the edges....

Still a great phone, but not an upgrade from where I came, and I use the edge about as often as I used the Stylus....

I had a Note4 and now have a S7 and a S7E. I prefer the S7E to the S7 due to larger screen and larger battery. I don't miss the S Pen at all add I hardly used it. Also, I have never come close to the battery running out on the S7E when it was always a risk on my Note4. The S7 Edge is harder to hold but I have got used to it now. And I do use the Edge features more often than I thought I would.

Posted via the Android Central App on a kicking Gold Samsung Galaxy S7

tracypagedotnet

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
Simple answer - I usually drive with Google Maps open at all times for navigation and I can get to all my driving apps by swiping in from the right without ever leaving the app or going near my home screens.

Like I said before, I thought it was a gimmick I'd never use either but I did find it quite useful

lol...
I'm not really satisfied with that answer, but you're right....I cannot think of a preexisting or alternate way to launch a second app without actually leaving the first app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87