SD card - recognized but unreadable? Weird issues, Galaxy S7 edge only

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
Follow up to an earlier thread. I have a SanDisk 64GB SD card that suddenly (in past few weeks?) stopped working, although I only recognized this the other day. The phone recognizes that I have an SD card, but I can't do anything with it - meaning I'm not getting the 'notification' errors that are in other threads.

In the S7, here is the situation:

1) The card is *not* the problem - I inserted it into my old S5 and was able to view photos and transfer apps to it.

2) Per a recommendation in other thread, SD Insight says it is a true SanDisk 64 card

3) In ES file explorer, the SD card is recognized, and even can analyze the card. But what is returned is basically a graph that shows that 45% of card is used by "other" file types (26.85GB, which is probably accurate), and photos/audio/video etc are all at 0.00 Bytes

4) All of my photos have disappeared when I look in Gallery - except for any photos/videos taken in past 3 weeks (?!?). However, pretty sure that these for some reason were suddenly being saved to device even though I never directly changed any settings. Perhaps it was 3 weeks ago the card "failed". Note that all photos on card can be viewed when I insert card into my S5

5) I've installed/uninstalled card multiple times to make sure it's laying correctly in tray

Any thoughts?

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
If you can, plug the card into your computer and then copy all the picture and music folders and any app folders onto the computer. Don't copy any of the Android system files that may be on the card.

Refomat the card and then copy everything back onto the card and your problem should be fixed. I had this same problem a few weeks ago and this fixed it for me. Repairing the card on my computer didn't work.

thadrawls

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
If you can, plug the card into your computer and then copy all the picture and music folders and any app folders onto the computer. Don't copy any of the Android system files that may be on the card.

Refomat the card and then copy everything back onto the card and your problem should be fixed. I had this same problem a few weeks ago and this fixed it for me. Repairing the card on my computer didn't work.

I'm having the same issue. Did this work?

John Millar

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
Similar problem, but on an S7, not an edge, but same thing, different screen.
My S7 is in for repair as I type this. It's 6 weeks old. I had a 64GB SD card that I had used in my S5 for 18 months with no issues. I didn't have an S6 due to lack of SD slot and not waterproof. At 3 weeks old, the 64GB card developed a problem. I removed it from my S7, put it in my laptop, only to find it was corrupted, and I couldn't do anything with it. I put it down to being one of those things, and bought a 128GB SD. 3 weeks in again, and exactly the same fault! It is a hardware issue with the S7. I put my 32GB SD card in from my LG Leon, and the S7 wouldn't read that either. Be interesting to see what Samsung will do about replacing cards that have been destroyed by a phone they manufactured!