How do we still not have the updated AOD?

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
The next Beta (it landed in Europe last week) fixes Gear VR.
I was about to say before this post, an update to enable VR has to be coming soon. I would think all options will be available at some point so all of the features can be tested out before it leaves beta.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I don't get all the moaning about AOD. It's an okay feature, even the N7 version. I like it, use it sometimes, but big deal. It's not even close to my most useful feature in this phone.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I don't get all the moaning about AOD. It's an okay feature, even the N7 version. I like it, use it sometimes, but big deal. It's not even close to my most useful feature in this phone.
I started using it as my alarm clock, have it set to come on at 9:00 and go off at 7:00 in morning. I'll probably just leave it that way. It was a neat feature but kind of useless, LED light does fine. I'll see when they release nougat, with Verizon that could be spring.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Not a bad update though. I miss my note 7 AOD as well, but i miss the note7 UI more than the AOD.

Just waiting on nougat.

What do you mean? All I really got out of that update was the ability to move the layout around. The current AOD is still kinda useless for anything other than the stock text app compared to what I had on the N7.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

How do you know when your phone has notifications if you aren't using the AOD? Are you using the LED? Having 3rd party apps displayed on it was HUGE compared to the one on the S7E, at least for those of us who rely on the AOD to know if we have a notification.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
How do you know when your phone has notifications if you aren't using the AOD? Are you using the LED? Having 3rd party apps displayed on it was HUGE compared to the one on the S7E, at least for those of us who rely on the AOD to know if we have a notification.
The LED was there on Samsung's flagships even before AOD. Having both LED and AOD on is redundant, plus AFAIK the LED uses less power.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
The LED was there on Samsung's flagships even before AOD. Having both LED and AOD on is redundant, plus AFAIK the LED uses less power.
The AOD however is an improvement and gives more accurate information faster with easier access directly to what the notification is referencing. At least the Note 7 version does

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
The AOD however is an improvement and gives more accurate information faster with easier access directly to what the notification is referencing. At least the Note 7 version does
The easier access is fine. It reduces what to do by one tap. As for identifying the notification you can color code them, and you can set akl notifications to alert you with a LED. But that doesn't change the fact that having both is redundant and AOD eats more battery. As of now the lack of proper AOD doesn't bug me. But it's no use complaining now especially since we all know we're getting it anyway.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I've seen. Someday it will be here. They still should have moved the AOD over months ago. Seems like it would have been simple. (says me the non programmer)
It won't make it easier or better. Having the AOD notification watcher separate from the firmware would be an additional process and thus additional drain on the battery. Notification accuracy may also be suspect since its a separate service and the notification watcher may be not syncing real time since the phone is dozing. Having it firmware baked would get around doze and make is less battery consuming.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
It won't make it easier or better. Having the AOD notification watcher separate from the firmware would be an additional process and thus additional drain on the battery. Notification accuracy may also be suspect since its a separate service and the notification watcher may be not syncing real time since the phone is dozing. Having it firmware baked would get around doze and make is less battery consuming.

I'm not sure I'm following you. Are you saying the nougat update doesn't make it better?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure I'm following you. Are you saying the nougat update doesn't make it better?
Making the AOD not part of the Nougat update will make it eat more battery and less accurate. The previous updates are just security settings and cosmetic changes. They seem to haven't delved much into the system operation. With Nougat, since they're working deeper in the OS, they can make the changes built in deeper and more integrated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa