Battery dies incredibly fast lately

jonequest2013

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
That is it. For some reason my battery is dying so fast I cannot believe it. I have built a fast wireless charger in my vehicle and have one on my desk but if my phone is off charge for more than a couple of hours it is down to 20% and dropping fast. I have checked battery and all I see is the usual Android System and Android OS usually using the most power. I did notice that today Facebook and Messenger are coming in at #2 and #3 on the usage scale but I was only on FB for about 15 minutes today. They are normally much lower on the list of battery killers. My battery scale that is based on the last 7 days shows me going from 100% at 8:00am to 0% by 2:00pm. That is subject though since I charge a lot of the time. I was at 20% and can see it go down about 1% every minute or so. Turning on "Power Saving" does have a dramatic effect so I think I have a rouge app somewhere maybe?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Pretty much every app makes use of various Android services, so the fact that Android is at the top of the list is not unusual.

Frankly, Facebook and Messenger have a long history of being battery killers. If you go to the Play Store and check the user feedback on Facebook (sort by "Newest") you will see that everyone is complaining about battery drain with the latest release.

haganjeff

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Facebook and Messenger took my phone from 100% to 15% in 3 hours. This just started today..100% CPU usage. I tried force stopping and rebooting with no affect. I uninstalled both Facebook and Messenger and things are starting to settle down. Apparently this is widespread based on Google searches.

ToddK

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, Facebook and Messenger have gone rouge....

Bastards! 😆
dfa11005ede9e33a59dd40b501a080b7.jpg

nicnoc66

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Glad i'm not the only one. Only started today, both Facebook and Messenger in top 3 battery users when i've not touched them all day.
Guess an uninstall is the way to go here!

mylgt1

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Had this also on my lg g5 and v20 today. Seems to be a Facebook issue and messenger. People on the v20 forums are saying to uninstall and install and seems to help

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Facebook and Messenger took my phone from 100% to 15% in 3 hours. This just started today..100% CPU usage. I tried force stopping and rebooting with no affect. I uninstalled both Facebook and Messenger and things are starting to settle down. Apparently this is widespread based on Google searches.

This is the exact case with me too. Went to work at 6am today at 100%. Went on break at 9 and was at 40% never used Facebook or messenger today. By 11 I was at 6% with only 20 minutes of usage today. Checked my battery stats and both apps were off the charts, never were before. I've been dealing with bad battery life for awhile but nothing like this. I also noticed the phone getting really hot in my pocket, that's how I noticed the battery was draining fast.

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Just noticed neither Facebook or Messenger has had an app update in almost a month so what could be making them all of a sudden today go crazy?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
FB and FB messenger have been going nuts today on various phones around the forum. Try clearing the data/cache from them.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
FB and FB messenger have been going nuts today on various phones around the forum. Try clearing the data/cache from them.

I'm not into Conspiracy Theories but something doesn't feel right and not just today, it happens every now and then, not at this scale and not this widespread but it's already well known that this 2 apps plus Twitter are huge battery drains on Android and subpar apps compared to the iOS version. And yes my S7 edge also had the same issue today while mine and my family iPhones are working great today.

With the gazillion amount of android phones outthere using this apps you should think that this huge and billionaire developers could be a little more carefull with an app and even more dedicated to it, can't really think on any other logical explanation than a huge corporate conspiracy behind it to make it Android phones in general look bad while the iPhones not having any issues with their apps still have great battery life plus all possible features available.

Last edited:

delco714

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Me too!!!! What the hell

Daniel Barrett

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Noticing this on my girlfriend's phone too. I charge my phone over night so I haven't noticed it but she charges hers before going to sleep and then unplug it and then when morning comes the phone is always at least down to 80% after not having any notifications or anything come in and the battery usage looks the same as everyone is describing here. Going to try signing out of Facebook for the night and see what happens.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm not into Conspiracy Theories but something doesn't feel right and not just today, it happens every now and then, not at this scale and not this widespread but it's already well known that this 2 apps plus Twitter are huge battery drains on Android and subpar apps compared to the iOS version. And yes my S7 edge also had the same issue today while mine and my family iPhones are working great today.

With the gazillion amount of android phones outthere using this apps you should think that this huge and billionaire developers could be a little more carefull with an app and even more dedicated to it, can't really think on any other logical explanation than a huge corporate conspiracy behind it to make it Android phones in general look bad while the iPhones not having any issues with their apps still have great battery life plus all possible features available.
They could have had their server just call upon the apps when it shouldn't have or something. Syncing data for no reason.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
They could have had their server just call upon the apps when it shouldn't have or something. Syncing data for no reason.

Yeah, it may be, but the funny thing is that all those possible causes seem to only affects their Android app ;)