Galaxy S7 Edge Insta-Drain Issue

ctsmith84

May 30, 2017
Visit site
Hi all,

Over the last week and a half or so, my S7 Edge has been having a pretty peculiar battery drain issue. I don't know if it's an update related issue or not, but once the battery shows below (from when I've noticed it) around 50%, it will just instantly drain all the way to 0% in a matter of literally a minute or two. And the battery usage doesn't show any app as being a potential culprit.

Any thoughts on what to try? Did my battery just suddenly get toast? The battery life is great for that first 50%, BTW.

What makes it even worse is that it continues to drop to 0% even if I'm able to catch it at 15% or so and plug it in. Once it hits 0%, it charges and continues working as normal.

Attachments

• unnamed.png
    unnamed.png
    84.5 KB · Views: 53

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Kind of what I was thinking. But I am just looking to see if anyone knew of any other solutions first. And also wanted to make sure a new battery would fix it.
If you did an update lately, I'd check your wifi settings. When I updated to the latest security update, it broke my Package Disabler Pro (known issue now) and it reset some of my settings to stock, including that battery sucking culprit, 'wifi scanning'. My battery started dropping 20% per hour, after I unchecked it (my normal setting), it went back to 8-10% per hour. Hope it helps. 😊

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately this definitely sounds like a Battery that has gone bad, this is exactly how they fail.

I remember when my Note 4 Battery went bad, it would get to around 20%, and then suddenly go to 5% and die in a matter of minutes.

How long have you had your S7 Edge?

ctsmith84

May 30, 2017
Visit site
I've had it for about 15 months or so. So out of warranty.

Strange thing is that it seems to do it at exactly 50% every time. And also, the battery life up until that 50% mark has been really great lately, better than in the past for sure. I'm starting to wonder if somehow the % is reading incorrectly???

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I've had it for about 15 months or so. So out of warranty.

Strange thing is that it seems to do it at exactly 50% every time. And also, the battery life up until that 50% mark has been really great lately, better than in the past for sure. I'm starting to wonder if somehow the % is reading incorrectly???

Why not try one of the battery recalibration apps to recalibrate the battery.?

PS I have gone through my playstore library and noted that I chose 3C battery Monitor when my Note 4 was having similar issues.

Last edited:

ctsmith84

May 30, 2017
Visit site
So I tried one last thing before taking to get the battery replaced. I installed an app called Advanced Battery Calibrator.

Mainly because I had a feeling the battery percentage wasn't displaying correctly. The manual ways to calibrate it didn't work, but this app apparently did!

For the second day in a row, the battery drained at a more normal pace.

Below are the before and afters.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170529-094305.jpg
    Screenshot_20170529-094305.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20170606-173212.jpg
    Screenshot_20170606-173212.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but my mom's did this. Replacing the battery didn't quite work--she got a new phone instead.
I think sometimes after an OS update or security update, the phone gets wacky with OS settings. I still have my mom's phone and will have to try to experiment with it, but just to add in that sometimes the battery going bad isn't it either. Good luck.

ctsmith84

May 30, 2017
Visit site
Mine has been back to normal since I did what I said in my previous post. So I'd recommend anyone seeing this sort of issue to try this out first before replacing a battery or buying a new phone.