gear vr promo

jeep_man

May 8, 2013
Visit site
So after reading the rules of the free gear vr promo, it states no more than 300,000 gifts are available. I am on Verizon and I am wondering if there will even be any more of these "gifts" available by the time I even get my phone. It states in the rules that you need the imei number so you for sure will have to wait until the phone arrives, not just the 4th when the contest opens. So it looks like all of the T-Mobile and Sprint guys will snag these up.

Posted via the Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if that # was put out there to get us to rush to pre order the phone
I would venture to guess so. It would be a very poor pr move to not give people their vr, even if it went beyond 300k . this is more of a.... But wait... If you buy now....

Act fast... This deal is limited to the first 10 callers...

jeep_man

May 8, 2013
Visit site
So I just spent time with Verizon on their chat. They basically said we are screwed. They indeed confirmed that the deal is extremely limited and handled 100% through Samsung. They do not care if we get the vr or not and all they will do is offer $100 off a smart watch.

You can see from the photo I took of my computer screen.

I guess this is what I get for preordering through Verizon and there usual craptastic policies regarding ship dates. 300,000 units ....what an ****ing joke

Attachments

• 3863.jpg
    3863.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 73

dirt4444

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure they will have enough, or the 30,000 might be for each carrier? They are going to have a lot of pissed off people (mostly Verizon customers) coming at them if we can't take advantage of the promo because VZW ships their phones the latest.

pookadoo77

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
don't shoot me, Tmobile customer here. I applied for the promo this morning. you need a copy of receipt/lease, IMEI number, and WiFi address number. Found wifi number in settings under status tab. Just to prep ;)

czucker

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
For what it is worth, AT&T has given me a guarantee that my Gear headset will ship with the phone. I have the chat transcript saved. . . .

In line with the roadtovr.com article, it seems that some retailers will have their own stock to give away.

Last edited:

jwalker55

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
don't shoot me, Tmobile customer here. I applied for the promo this morning. you need a copy of receipt/lease, IMEI number, and WiFi address number. Found wifi number in settings under status tab. Just to prep ;)

*pulls out glock*

Fir what it is worth, AT&T has given me a guarantee that my Gear headset will ship with the phone. I have the chat transcript saved. . . .

In line with the roadtovr.com article, it seems that some retailers will have their own stock to give away.

Interesting. When I pre-ordered in the AT&T store (switching carriers and porting my #), the rep said I would have to go to Samsung's Gear VR promo site to claim it and that it wouldn't be shipped with the phone.

czucker

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. When I pre-ordered in the AT&T store (switching carriers and porting my #), the rep said I would have to go to Samsung's Gear VR promo site to claim it and that it wouldn't be shipped with the phone.

That is what I assumed as well, but I spoke to three different CSR's via AT&T's support chat and they all told me the same thing. This is from two of the transcripts:

Johan : I see the pre order is processed , you will receive the device and the headset as soon the issue the new Samsung s7
CZucker : Alright great. They will ship together?
Johan : Yes , the hotphone details is about the headset
Johan : I double confirmed it

and

Rochelle : Flordelyn was able to validate the the VR Headset is an offer from Samsung. In that case, we guarantee that it will be shipped with the phone.

Last edited:

marlin29311

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
At what point do we all agree that we can't believe what Verizon Customer Service says? For every agent that says one thing, there are 10 others that say 10 different things.

Stick to what we actually know and information that is reliable (aka Joe the Insider) and relax.

BearlyFloats

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
You guys need to stop pointing the finger at the carriers or these kinds of things won't ever cease. Samsung is officially launching the S7 on March 11th. Samsung has set aside X amount of headsets to give people for free. At what point does blaming the carrier seem like a rational COA to y'all?

pookadoo77

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
*pulls out glock*

Thats what I had to do, go to Samsung Promo site, says may take 4-6 weeks to ship, will email me when order is processed, that may take some time too.......

jeep_man

May 8, 2013
Visit site
You guys need to stop pointing the finger at the carriers or these kinds of things won't ever cease. Samsung is officially launching the S7 on March 11th. Samsung has set aside X amount of headsets to give people for free. At what point does blaming the carrier seem like a rational COA to y'all?

Because on Verizon's website it states that if you buy an s7...you get a free gear vr. Doesn't mention anything about limited stock or that they don't care if we actually get it because they are launching the phone a full week after everybody else. You would think they would stand behind the promo since it's the first thing you see when you go to Verizon's website. And honestly switching from a gs6 like I am..the free gear vr is a major selling point in me upgrading.

pookadoo77

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
Through AT&T? I'm guessing you're T-Mobile as nobody else is shipping. . . .

yes, Tmobile. I called to preorder and rep told me shipping would start on the 11th. Next day I get a email I had a package delivered. Not all "wine and roses" however since I have a lease and need to turn in old phone within 2 wks of new phone arriving and not prepared. I was and still am kinda upset about it. Adding insult to injury I had to scour all over to find a case to make the switch and not be charged for 2 phones. No one had a case to sell me and I have kids and drop my phone a lot so a $175.00 insurance replacement is not a real option. Finally got a "ok" case from the local mall kiosk to use for the time being. Just sharing to show it has not been all great getting the phone early, and no it is not fair to release before agreed upon date, not good business and I have been with Tmobile 9 yrs. now..... I think in the end the free VR will work out for everyone. As was stated before some are through Samsung some not. Besides if you have in writing they promise a new VR for sure they have to provide it :)