Anyone moved from a LG G4 to and S7? Advice needed!

Michaelw81

May 27, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys, I sort of regretted not buying an S6 when they both came out last year. The only reason I opted for the G4 was the price and the better battery. Looking back, I feel I still made the right decision to an extent, but Im really starting to hate this 5.5 screen size. It's too big to use one handed (massively important to me) and it appears I average 3 and a half hours screen on time, which with everything turned off and screen on auto brightness- is a joke. I love the camera on the G4, and I can only assume the S7 is on par/ better than this.

I guess my question is for anyone that has made the move, what are your thoughts? Is it worth it? would I be best just waiting for next year's S8, or do I go for it?

Posted via the Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well.... I am not making the switch... but my WIFE is. :) And I just got my shipping notice from T-Mobile that her S7 is going to be arriving tomorrow, in which case I'll take it out for a shakedown cruise before I hand it over to her. Her current complaints with her G4 is as such:

It's a bit too big. She runs and has it in a wallet case with one of those strappy things on the back to make it easy to hold. She wanted something smaller, didn't hesitate to say so.

The battery life on the G4 is kind of junk. She'll average about 3 to 3.5h of screen time over a 24 hour cycle. Not exactly heavy usage either. And if she started to actually beat on it? Whoa nelly... we were in Disney recently and her G4 would burn through batteries like no one's business. Around dinner, my 6P would be sitting there around 50% while I already swapped out her battery... twice.... She wasn't all that happy with that. Those battery tests that have popped up aside (those battery benchmarks are fertilizer btw... I put ZERO stock on any of them).... I expect the S7 to outpace the G4 by a fair margin, at least enough for it to make an appreciable difference for her.

And while the G4 camera was really good, it had its issues. For whatever reason, every so often it would focus like a stoned college student... especially indoors and in darker conditions. She'd take a pic and it would just go out to lunch for several seconds before taking the picture. She's complained to me, several times, about the focus wonk and I've verified that... seen it in action... Not pretty.

One thing I've noticed is that the G4 pictures look a lot better on the camera than on a larger screen. Up close, pixel level, its over-processed... the famous 'oil paint' look. I've found that the pictures I get from the 6P are a lot more detailed and fine when you look down deep, and that results in a much crisper, sharper full image. This isn't just a couple... we've taken hundreds, if not thousands of pictures back and forth between both phones over the past few months.... 6P wins, every time. Big sensors FTW and all that. The shots I saw of the S7 and G5 (which has the same sensor as the G4) showed what I thought they would... the same muddy pixel level detail on the G5 and the S7 and its larger sensor is clearer.

So I'm in the same boat... and, for me, the S7 was a worthy enough upgrade as it checked all those boxes. Though, I am having a few doubts.... I mean, if the latest update fixes the performance issues with the Nexus 5X.... the current Fi promo.... I could stand to save about $120 this year, $480 year two.... if the Nexus 5X runs reliable enough to not annoy her. But that's a topic for a different day.

Michaelw81

May 27, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your view! I'm made up I'm not the only one with these thoughts. I almost enjoyed my S5 more than the G4. Although your yet to receive your S7, you've kind of nailed it for me. I may wait another week or so... If I can. Just see if anyone else responds to this, but just for the fact the G4 is too big, and the battery is awful, is kind of enough already. I'm tempted to wait on the HTC M10 though. This phone could make or break the company, and I like that

stevenkisor1

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
My new Verizon S7 is to arrive tomorrow, replacing my LG G4. So while I can't do a comparison at the moment, I'll give you my 2 cents in a day or two.

I bought the G4 for the camera and display. The camera is awesome.
But unfortunately, the phone itself just isn't what I thought it would be, from battery life, to touch screen issues, to heat issues, etc.

Also, G4 is not holding any value. Verizon's trade-in allowance for the G4 is all the way down to $130. I also contacted a company called Phone Genius, who buys used phone for resale (similar to Gazelle) and was told the most they would give for the phone, with 2 cases and extra battery, is $120.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Oh, the 6 update in the G4 does wonders... The UI is a lot more fluid and the touch response greatly improved. Idle is a lot better, but it's still thirsty when the screens on.

mwnance

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I made the S4 to S7 switch. Only thing I am concerned about is not having a removeable battery but I have one of those external chargers if I need it. The phone seems much faster but I am having WIFI issues right now I hope get resolved. It doesnt seem that much bigger and one had is tough but possible.
I think it was a good choice

ron561

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I had a S6, switched to iPhone because the only other flagship worth buying was the G4, and then switched to the G4 later. Ended up going back to the S6 because the G4 was also too big.

The S7 is better in every way. Nothing else needs to be said.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
My g4 had serious touch screen issues and poor battery life along with a camera that took very long to focus on low light motion shots. No real problems on the s7 edge so far

pookadoo77

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
my G4 was too big, not the greatest battery life, and the camera was not the best , for me at least. I got the g4 for the camera but while it took ok pics in low light the manual settings were SO hard to figure for a camera novice. The S7 camera is amazing. I even took some pics of my youngest at dusk the other night and I swear they look lighter than outside did, and still clear action shots on a power wheel!! I am SO HAPPY with the S7. I opted to upgrade my sd card to a 128 Gig Evo +. Hope you like the S7 better too.... Still looking for someone to give my old otterbox for G4 to, lol...

Jason Stroud1

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I sort of regretted not buying an S6 when they both came out last year. The only reason I opted for the G4 was the price and the better battery. Looking back, I feel I still made the right decision to an extent, but Im really starting to hate this 5.5 screen size. It's too big to use one handed (massively important to me) and it appears I average 3 and a half hours screen on time, which with everything turned off and screen on auto brightness- is a joke. I love the camera on the G4, and I can only assume the S7 is on par/ better than this.

I guess my question is for anyone that has made the move, what are your thoughts? Is it worth it? would I be best just waiting for next year's S8, or do I go for it?

I made the switch, my LG g4 battery life was terrible. And after getting the s7 it just looks so unstylish. Battery life seems much improved so far and I like the UI better, so for me it was definitely worth it.

Mdgolf775

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
Anyone else notice how selfies on the G4 are backwards? A simple software trick just flips the image on all other phones...I'm jumping in 10 days when I can do so on TMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non