Galaxy s7- sudden battery drain (Especially when idle)

Rachel Voigt

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I've only had this s7 a few months, and in the beginning I as really impressed with the battery life. I could go to bed with it on 60% (without having it plugged in) and wake up with 50-55%

Recently, within the last 2 weeks, this has changed. My battery drains a lot faster now, and it's especially noticeable while idle overnight. Last night i went to bed at 12:am with it on more than 60% and woke up around 9:45 am with it on 15%. now its 10:09am and its on 7%!! what is going on??

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160707-101003.jpg
    Screenshot_20160707-101003.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Screenshot_20160707-101035.jpg
    Screenshot_20160707-101035.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

anon(749368)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Android System is at 40%...that's too high. That means something is running crazy and it's not necessary Android, it may be an app. Same happened to me where I would get 14-16 hours on one charge and overnight battery life dropped to 10-11 hours. Can't figure out why, no new apps installed... Good luck and if you find out what's the issue, please post it here so we may know.

Posted via the Android Central App

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I've only had this s7 a few months, and in the beginning I as really impressed with the battery life. I could go to bed with it on 60% (without having it plugged in) and wake up with 50-55%

Recently, within the last 2 weeks, this has changed. My battery drains a lot faster now, and it's especially noticeable while idle overnight. Last night i went to bed at 12:am with it on more than 60% and woke up around 9:45 am with it on 15%. now its 10:09am and its on 7%!! what is going on??

Did you just do an update? Or install a new app?

Try restarting your phone 4 or 5 times, charge it full, and see what happens.

Also, when you charge your phone, how do you do it?

Rachel Voigt

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Yeah 40% is rediculous, and now its at 42%. Heres another screenshot for those it might help, but I am clueless.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160707-103135.jpg
    Screenshot_20160707-103135.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 68

Rachel Voigt

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I believe I did have an uupdate happen overnight recently. Is there a way to check the history on that? And I charge my phone using the fasat charge cable that was included with it.

EDIT: my last system update was Jun 15th (G930VVRU2APE1)

GolpherZX

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Wow. So far so good for me after doing the cache wipe as recommended in the other battery drain thread. Battery life seems to be doing better once again. I may have to get in the process of doing that wipe weekly or so to keep things fresh.

kpeste99

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

I'm having a similar issue. I've tried Uninstalling anything I have installed in the past couple weeks which isn't much. I did the partition cache wipe today and don't notice a difference.

Rachel Voigt

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I cleared my cache and I feel like its dying slower but that might be placebo. Im going to experiment tonight and leave it off the charger again and see how much the drain is.

My android system is using 24% rather than 40% now which seems to be improvement though.

Rachel Voigt

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Last night I slept for 9 hours and my phone went from 78 to 60 which is 2% per hour. I think that seems reasonable to me. wiping the cache seems to have helped.

1999bebe

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site

Same problem! Last night i went to bed..and i had more than 40% around 12:am . Woke up around 10:am with my phone dead ! . Did u solve the problem. . I don't know why
.if u do solve the problem. .please tell me it.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Last night I slept for 9 hours and my phone went from 78 to 60 which is 2% per hour. I think that seems reasonable to me. wiping the cache seems to have helped.
That's still pretty big actually. I'm losing 0.5% per hour with the phone in Doze mode at night. Check under settings>battery>App Power Saving>Details and see if there are several apps still not saving power during Doze. You want all of them dozing except for apps that actually need to be left running in the background.

Rachel Voigt

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Same problem! Last night i went to bed..and i had more than 40% around 12:am . Woke up around 10:am with my phone dead ! . Did u solve the problem. . I don't know why
.if u do solve the problem. .please tell me it.

I minimzed the battery drain by wiping my phones cache, now i lose about battery a lot less quickly.

How to clear the system cache on the Galaxy S7:

Turn the Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 Edge off
Press and hold the Volume Up, Power and Home buttons at the same time until the Android logo shows up and the phone vibrates
Then let go of the Power button and continue to hold the other buttons
Use the volume buttons to scroll down to highlight Wipe Cache Partition
Press the Power button
Scroll down to Yes and press the Power button
Scroll to Reboot System Now and press Power
Your Galaxy S7 will reboot with a cleared system cache

Rachel Voigt

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
That's still pretty big actually. I'm losing 0.5% per hour with the phone in Doze mode at night. Check under settings>battery>App Power Saving>Details and see if there are several apps still not saving power during Doze. You want all of them dozing except for apps that actually need to be left running in the background.

I couldnt find anything relating to doze mode so I checked for a system update, and there was one available. So I updated. But I still dont see "app power saving" where i can enable doze mode.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty