how do I make Google Assistant wake up and unlock my S7? (from screen off, not connected to charger)

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I like to use both as well. Could be you are being a tad paranoid but we need to be able to do what makes us feel comfortable. Some have said others have said ok google and unlocked their phone so I dunno. Anything I have on my phone that's important enough gets its own unlock code anyway. So even once in there is other security in place. I'm sure most have that for important stuff. Depends on someone's situation a lot to as to who may get access to their phone. I live alone and it's always in my pocket. My friends could care less. I don't think about the security that much. Maybe I should LoL.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Interesting regarding the unlocking. I've gone back to Siri for now until Nougat is available. Maybe it will bring this functionality although doubtful of that. But Who knows?
Just to let you know, Nougat does not bring this functionality to it😕

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Due to the fact that it will unlock while charging, plugged in or wireless, I am thinking that maybe it is because of battery drain on this particular device.

D_Blumen

Mar 3, 2017
Visit site
Due to the fact that it will unlock while charging, plugged in or wireless, I am thinking that maybe it is because of battery drain on this particular device.

on the iPhone 7, I barely notice any difference.... with the Google Assistant being allowed to wake up the LG G5 at anytime(including screen off, unplugged), I also do not noticed very little difference in battery life...

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
on the iPhone 7, I barely notice any difference.... with the Google Assistant being allowed to wake up the LG G5 at anytime(including screen off, unplugged), I also do not noticed very little difference in battery life...
I just cannot think of another reason as to why you can only wake up your S7 with Assistant, when the screen is off, while it's charging.

Last edited:

D_Blumen

Mar 3, 2017
Visit site
I just cannot think of another reason as to why you can only wake up your S7 with Assistant, when the screen is off, while it's charging.

I've researching this "issue" for a few days. So far, I only know of three Android phones that can be awaken with "ok google" Google Assistant: Pixel, Pixel XL, LG G5....

bchain996

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
I've researching this "issue" for a few days. So far, I only know of three Android phones that can be awaken with "ok google" Google Assistant: Pixel, Pixel XL, LG G5....
I've also spent a lot of time trying to figure this out and have finally gave up.. It really sucks because this is one of my favorite features and it worked on my V20.

febzz

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I have a Galaxy Note 4 (T-mobile) running the latest firmware and it's on Android 6.0.1.

When I say "Ok Google" to my phone locked screen, it'd wake up, but then I'd get stuck on the Lock Screen. I'd have to manually unlock it (I use the Swipe Pattern Lock). That beats the purpose of operating Google Assistant in a hands-free manner, especially when I'm driving.

The "Trusted Voice" option is missing from my Google Assistant/Now settings. "Ok Google from any screen" is available and is turned on. I remember back then I used to have the "Trusted Voice" option, but maybe in the last few versions, it's been removed? I'm not sure.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Old thread I know, but the assistant still sucks and sleeps way to much. Lol.
I've been running the iOS 11betas on my iPhone 7 and rocking a new and improved Siri. Siri nails perfectly what I've been trying to get the assistant to do ever since it came out, mainly wake up when I need it to!
Spending more and more time with my iPhone 7 and sad because I much prefer Android, but I need stuff Android isn't giving me so that's it and I won't buy another Android device till I've thoroughly checked it out. iOS 11 is a smooth upgrade tho, I like it.

Patrick MacLellan1

Oct 5, 2017
Visit site
Old thread I know, but the assistant still sucks and sleeps way to much. Lol.
I've been running the iOS 11betas on my iPhone 7 and rocking a new and improved Siri. Siri nails perfectly what I've been trying to get the assistant to do ever since it came out, mainly wake up when I need it to!
Spending more and more time with my iPhone 7 and sad because I much prefer Android, but I need stuff Android isn't giving me so that's it and I won't buy another Android device till I've thoroughly checked it out. iOS 11 is a smooth upgrade tho, I like it.

So wait you came here t just to pump apple? Gtfo... Your post was not constructive, helpful or relevant to the issue at hand other than being an apple fanboy

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
fanboy? and apple no less. that's funny. im a fanboy of nothing as I enjoy all tech. my complaint is my assistant won't wake up unless my phone is already awake and Siri nails it. why is that? Got any ideas? Then GTFO. Lol!

Marie Free

Oct 30, 2017
Visit site
I struggled with this as well for quite a while and just now realized how to get the job done lol. Just ask Bixby to launch Google assistant. Bixby will open your phone and have it ready for you to tell your assistant whatever you'd like to do :) hope this helps

dt1524

Feb 7, 2018
Visit site
I'm probably a little late to this thread but can anyone offer some advice....

I'm walking down the street, Bluetooth earbuds in....I just want to be able to tell my GS7 to make a call, or play some music.... Phone's in my shirt pocket and my hands are full....I just want to do this without having to reach for my phone.... Can it be done with this phone? Or do I go get a new one?

Google assistant I'd pretty much useless, an I right?

Joshua Greve

Mar 30, 2018
Visit site
If you have to touch the phone to wake it up in order to use this, well, just seems counter intuitive for a helpful and supposedly voice activated assistant. Like having my office secretary asleep in the next room and I have to go nudge her to wake her up first Lol! Just SMH as this assistant continues to disappoint. BTW, secretary , "Your Fired"! I'm about to fire my assistant as well.

LOL! Exactly! I an spool glad some people see the absurdity that Samsung doesn't offer this feature. it's kind of a deal breajer. ai think they did in preparation for what would be the Bixby reveal. Fair enough--- but I'm stuck with their S7 which they are not allowing to use Bixby. Thanks, Samsung.

PS: I literally laughed out loud at your analogy. lol

Joshua Greve

Mar 30, 2018
Visit site
So wait you came here t just to pump apple? Gtfo... Your post was not constructive, helpful or relevant to the issue at hand other than being an apple fanboy

I'm over iProducts but to me it's totally relevant here to point out when the "competition" does something better... such as... updating phones (Android sucks at this... I mean seriously.

Anyway, it's a gadget.

Joshua Greve

Mar 30, 2018
Visit site
I'm probably a little late to this thread but can anyone offer some advice....

I'm walking down the street, Bluetooth earbuds in....I just want to be able to tell my GS7 to make a call, or play some music.... Phone's in my shirt pocket and my hands are full....I just want to do this without having to reach for my phone.... Can it be done with this phone? Or do I go get a new one?

Google assistant I'd pretty much useless, an I right?

Exactly. Had the same experience the other day in the store with an arm full of groceries. Google Assistant now downgraded to only a bit better than a party trick in my mind.

Joshua Greve

Mar 30, 2018
Visit site
I struggled with this as well for quite a while and just now realized how to get the job done lol. Just ask Bixby to launch Google assistant. Bixby will open your phone and have it ready for you to tell your assistant whatever you'd like to do :) hope this helps

That's why I wish I had Bixby. but I have S7. :/

thusgaard

May 31, 2018
Visit site
So: how do I make Google Assistant wake up and unlock my S7? (from screen off, not connected to char

how do I make Google Assistant wake up and unlock my S7? (from screen off, not connected to charger)

I have no problem doing this on my other phone, the LG G5. (which just involves selecting the Trusted Voice option) On my Galaxy S7, no matter what I tried, it would only wake up and unlock the phone if the charger was plugged in. (or if I press the home button first, then say "OK Google" then it unlocks the phone)

Here's my solution:
  1. Root
  2. Install xposed
  3. Install the Assistant Enabler module
  4. Toggle Enable OK Google Anywhere ON
  5. Plug/Unplug charger
  6. Done

thusgaard

May 31, 2018
Visit site
Re: So: how do I make Google Assistant wake up and unlock my S7? (from screen off, not connected to

Here's my solution:
  1. Root
  2. Install xposed
  3. Install the Assistant Enabler module
  4. Toggle Enable OK Google Anywhere ON
  5. Plug/Unplug charger
  6. Done

Alright, so that worked precisely ONCE! 😢