Show text senders name only on lock screen?

Crude Berry

Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
This is my first Android phone, prior to this I have owned iPhones from the 4 thru 6+. Now that's out of the way, I am loving the experience but there is 1 thing I miss about my iPhone that I haven't been able to figure out on my S7. I have exlred all of my options and haven't been able to come up with a solution.

On my iPhones I could chose to have a notification on my lock screen for texts and emails with the senders name only and no content showing in the notification. This allowed me to view who was texting/ emailing without showing any of the contents of the message/ email. This allowed me to view who was texting without unlocking the phone, while keeping the content of the message private from prying eyes. On my S7 I can either see who is messaging with a snippet of the message, or choose "hide content". Hiding content pops a box up that simply says "message/ email" without sharing the senders identity.

In a nutshell, is there a way to allow the senders name to show without content? If so, How? Thanks in advance for any help or ideas. I am using the stock messaging and email app.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hello! No setting is coming to mind that could change that in stock messaging; but there are a plethora of messaging apps out there that may have that feature. Textra is a great app, as well as Chomp SMS, but I am unsure if they have that feature.

I definitely like that feature, and would certainly use it to keep content "away from prying eyes," as you put it. Anyway, my best bet is to look through Google's Play Store Messaging apps and see if anything there matches what you're looking for. Or, maybe another user here is currently using an app that allows for that customization.

Good luck! And if you find such an app, please let us know!

Hey I Tried

Feb 26, 2017
Visit site
Settings / Notifications / Advanced Notifications
Find Messages. Change from Show Content to Hide Content.
Should show the senders name, but suppress the message.

9a832ace0171df223f26a6b1bd296b98.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87